Where can I find an answer to a technical research question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pemulis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first year med student whose never done research before. I have a project lined up for next summer with a faculty member at my school, doing bench research on an oncology study.

As part of my preparation for the project, my faculty sponsor asked me to find something out. I've tried googling it, and using pubmed, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

The question I'm trying to get an answer to is: which types of immune cells in mice can be marked (for example with immunoflourescence)? For instance, I am assuming that one could mark lymphocytes, but is there a way to easily and inexpensively sort out T cells from B cells? How aobut TH1 from TH2? Our project is going to involve doing a qualitative assay of an immune response to a known carcinogen in a murine model, so we need to be able to mark as many different immune cells as possible, including dendritic, NK, etc.

If you know the answer to the above, I would appreciate hearing it. But more importantly, I would like to know where I can look to find a document detailing such info. I have to write a proposal for the project, so it would really help me if I could find a "manual" of sorts that explained exactly how to go about doing what we want to do.

I apologize if this is a super rookie question. But then, I am a rookie :)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's good that you tried PubMed, but that will give you published works, not exact technical answers like what you're looking for.

1) Try asking other profs in the same department. Or one of their assistants.
2) Somebody in your department will probably have a series of basic "biochem/molecular biology lab techniques" manual. Look through those.
3) Try calling up a sales representative. They may be able to walk you through the process (get technical help only) over the phone. Check with your PI before you bu anything.

This may take awhile, but read other similar projects gleaned from pubmed. Sometimes, in the methods and materials, a reference will be made on how it was done. Follow this regression model until you find the answer you need.

Alternatively, contact the first author of all papers that have done similar projects. Usually, they will be very helpful, especially if you butter them up..."I read a most interesting paper that you published and it would be most helpful...etc." Given they have published, it is not really "secret" or "proprietary" and the academic world is generally collegial.