Where can I buy a fluoroscopy apron with both front and back coverage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member10billion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a fluoroscopy apron/vest+skirt combo with both front and back coverage. Anyone know where to get a good one?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for a fluoroscopy apron/vest+skirt combo with both front and back coverage. Anyone know where to get a good one?
Curious as to why you would need back coverage?
Think a leaded table skirt more important for scatter radiation

Reactions: 1 user
If his/her rad tech is anything like mine… I always hear that Fluoro beep when I am turned around grabbing something or setting something up. No matter how many times i tell the tech… they still shoot

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If his/her rad tech is anything like mine… I always hear that Fluoro beep when I am turned around grabbing something or setting something up. No matter how many times i tell the tech… they still shoot
I always controlled the foot pedal, they just moved the machine

Curious as to why you would need back coverage?
Think a leaded table skirt more important for scatter radiation
that is there, too
thinking about having a baby sometime during fellowship and was recommended to have front back coverage by my female pain attending.

Reactions: 1 users
every. single. time. Except for colleen, she's great.

I wear wrap-around lead as well. Most manufacturers have that option.

This is what I wear, plus the attached magnetic-clasp thyroid shield.

I wear wrap-around lead as well. Most manufacturers have that option.

This is what I wear, plus the attached magnetic-clasp thyroid shield.

That is the wrap around I have as well. Magnetic thyroid is a game changer, the Velcro is disgusting.

I think the front and back tend to balance the weight better than a front only lead. It’s hotter, I sweat wearing it for a morning or afternoon session, but my back feels good.

I agree with the wrap around lead, especially on cases where there's a C-arm taking a lot of lateral images like with vertebral augmentation. Also having the ability to remove it without breaking scrub really improves quality of life and speeds up closure times.

They make these pregnancy lead aprons as a second layer you could in theory use under regular lead, but for comfort, I would just do the wrap around.

It seems more legit than the commercial anti-5g ones.
Amazon product

I was under the impression the lead vests were lead on front and back, is that not the case? Ugh.

Majority of OR staff refuses to wear the skirts, I’ve given up on fighting with them but I drew the line on the older CRNA declaring he would go lead free and he’s “not having anymore kids”

First time around I did skirt/ vest and traditional wrap around

second time around I did skirt/ or belly lead with a full wrap around once I hit around 7 months....... total game changer, wish I would have discovered that option sooner.

Lightning Light Weight Full Wrap Apron

I was under the impression the lead vests were lead on front and back, is that not the case? Ugh.

Majority of OR staff refuses to wear the skirts, I’ve given up on fighting with them but I drew the line on the older CRNA declaring he would go lead free and he’s “not having anymore kids”
For what it's worth, my hospital removed the dosimeter from the entire ancillary procedure room staff (except the doc) because the dosimeters always came back negative for radiation.

• Wow
  • Haha
Ho
First time around I did skirt/ vest and traditional wrap around

second time around I did skirt/ or belly lead with a full wrap around once I hit around 7 months....... total game changer, wish I would have discovered that option sooner.

Lightning Light Weight Full Wrap Apron
How did you size the wrap around so it wasn’t too big in the chest?

You all are awesome. Thank you so much.

What are your thoughts on leaded gloves? I see a few practicing docs use them, but I'm concerned they are too cumbersome and not useful enough.

You all are awesome. Thank you so much.

What are your thoughts on leaded gloves? I see a few practicing docs use them, but I'm concerned they are too cumbersome and not useful enough.
I trained with them and have them available. They are not cumbersome.

That being said, I rarely if ever use them. Sometimes I'll put them on during SCS for live lead advancement (hands relatively close to the image field). If you are x-raying your hand though, the machine will simply increase radiation dose to overcome your glove, thereby defeating their intended purpose. If you aren't ever x-raying your hand (as you shouldn't), the benefit is negligible.

Plus they're hot and sweaty.

rather not use them. they are more cumbersome - not impossible, but...

it does give your patient significantly more radiation exposure.

Ho

How did you size the wrap around so it wasn’t too big in the chest?
It was huge everywhere but with a little puckering you can get the chest part tighter. It wasn't perfect, but it was a significant upgrade.

The skirt and vest are a pain to repeatedly take on and off… from experience

I end up just wearing my vest all day and not sitting till I’m done for the day.

Any thoughts on this? A friend recommended
I'm thinking about 1 piece vs 2 piece lead, and I like the idea of 2 piece, but as above, more annoying to put on. This Orthovest might make the 1 piece more wearable.