Where are you applying for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought there would be more discussion about residency since applications can be submitted soon, so I'll just start a topic. I'm curious where people are applying, or if there are any great programs you've seen on your away rotations. I still have a huge list that I need to narrow down, but I've narrowed it down to pretty much all the west coast programs and a couple of east coast programs. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who is couples matching (g/f not doing peds), we were advised by multiple people to shoot for 30 apps...expensive! Ahh!

West Coast/Midwest mostly, with a smidge of schools from pennsylvania and boston

:) The goal is 15 or so interviews that both she and I get. We will see. Please, keep in mind, this is not a number that everyone has to apply to, dont freak out fellow peds people!

I am casting my net out wide. I have a ton of research and past experience, but ****ty boards scores....
So, I plan on going for hospitals pretty much everywhere, some university, some community. I think that I will stay east coast with the exception of a couple of long shot west coast places.

Has anyone heard of peds programs being more interested in the whole application rather than having a score cut off?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all...here goes my first post:

i'm set on about 15 programs. my favs right now being seattle, denver, portland, u of chicago and stanford. i hope crossing your fingers helps :)

late

I'm applying to mainly larger programs distributed throughout the country, minus the south (except for Vandy). I'm also applying to some medium size programs.

I've got 13 total, but even if I get offered all 13, will probably interview at 8 or so.

I'm applying mainly in the east and midwest. Here is my abbreviated list in no particular order.

OHSU
Rochester
CHOP
Boston Childrens
Pitt
Cincinnatti
Duke
UNC
Childrens Memorial
U. Chicago
U. of Colorado
Seattle
Stanford
UCSF
Baylor
Hopkins
DC Childrens

zeke, hopefully i'll be seeing a lot of you, since my list is pretty similar. my list is enormous, but that's because i either most likely want to stay in chicago, or definitely want to go anywhere else, all dependent on personal life stuff which is yet to be determined. so the list is:
NY: columbia, cornell, NYU
Mass: CH of boston, mass gen
DC Children's National and Hopkins
Penn: CHOP, Pitt
Midwest: Childrens, UofChicago, Rush, Loyola, MCW, UofWisc, Rileys (indiana), CH of StL
Denver
Seattle
Cali: stan, UCSF, UCLA, CHofLA, UCSD

no south for me, i am more of a sweater and fleece kind of girl. (all the people at my home program keep talking about how wonderful Texas Childrens is though, but i just can't do it) why do i feel like i have no idea what i am doing?

zeke, hopefully i'll be seeing a lot of you, since my list is pretty similar. my list is enormous, but that's because i either most likely want to stay in chicago, or definitely want to go anywhere else, all dependent on personal life stuff which is yet to be determined. so the list is:
NY: columbia, cornell, NYU
Mass: CH of boston, mass gen
DC Children's National and Hopkins
Penn: CHOP, Pitt
Midwest: Childrens, UofChicago, Rush, Loyola, MCW, UofWisc, Rileys (indiana), CH of StL
Denver
Seattle
Cali: stan, UCSF, UCLA, CHofLA, UCSD

no south for me, i am more of a sweater and fleece kind of girl. (all the people at my home program keep talking about how wonderful Texas Childrens is though, but i just can't do it) why do i feel like i have no idea what i am doing?

Hey M1234D! I hope I do see you on the interview trail. What are your top choices? Where are you in school? I'm also adverse to the south!

Zeke

So here goes:

Mass: Boston Children's, MGH, Tufts-NEMC.
PA: CHOP, Pitt
Conn: Yale
Maryland: Hopkins
DC: Children's Nat'l
Ohio: Cinci, Cleveland Rainbow Babies.

Yeah, yeah, I know...I like kidz, research, academia, the northeast, SNOW :laugh: Lived in big freezing cities my whole life! I can't picture myself going down south or out west! Plus, I'm limited by my husband's potential locations (he's in business)

:luck: g'luck everyone!

So here goes:

Mass: Boston Children's, MGH, Tufts-NEMC.
PA: CHOP, Pitt
Conn: Yale
Maryland: Hopkins
DC: Children's Nat'l
Ohio: Cinci, Cleveland Rainbow Babies.

Yeah, yeah, I know...I like kidz, research, academia, the northeast, SNOW :laugh: Lived in big freezing cities my whole life! I can't picture myself going down south or out west! Plus, I'm limited by my husband's potential locations (he's in business)

:luck: g'luck everyone!

Just a word of advice; the schools you listed are all fairly competitive. I'm sure you're an excellent applicant and will likely get into one of those programs, however it is always a good idea to have some safety schools. Just my 2 cents

Just a word of advice; the schools you listed are all fairly competitive. I'm sure you're an excellent applicant and will likely get into one of those programs, however it is always a good idea to have some safety schools. Just my 2 cents

LOL..funny you should say that! I started out w/ a list of 15 programs, then cut down to 12, and was still told it's too many! Based on mtgs w/ 3 separate peds advisors (plus unofficial discussions w/former classmates), I was told to apply to no more than 8 :eek:
I decided to add 2 more at the last minute just to be "safe" :)

Honestly, I'm paring down the list before applying. I don't want to spend the time and $$$$ interviewing at places I don't want to train at. But I guess that's just me! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say is that I did my residency "in the snowbelt" and before global warming.:p Finishing a 36 hour shift (no 30 hour max then :mad:) and going out in the dark to shovel snow off your car wasn't a lot of fun.

For those who have family and can't move, I understand. But for those less tied down, at least interview at one or two places in another part of the country and stay a few days and visit. You might be surprised.;)

Well, I think I've narrowed down my list to my top 15 or so. Here's what I'm thinking:

OHSU
Seattle
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
CHLA
Denver
UNC
Northwestern Childrens Memorial
Vanderbilt
DC Childrens

Do you guys think I'm focusing on too many top programs and too many California programs (I'm not from California)? I'm worried that I don't have enough less competitive programs on my list. Would OHSU, UNC, and UCSD be considered easier programs to get into?

Doctor wannabe, this is the word on the street:

OHSU: VERY competitive. Not a safety school by any means
UNC: Mildly competitive, but not a safety
UCSD: Competitive; who doesn't want to apply to san diego? They get lots of apps.

From my mind, you really don't have a single safety school on your list (unless you are sleeping with a program director, or created world peace) :laugh:

I have no idea how competitive you are, im sure very much so if you are looking at a list like that, but I would consider adding a couple of less competitive programs. If you are looking to stay west, the "Not as" competitive programs (again, from what I have heard) are U of Az, UC Irvine, UC Davis, the Denver community program. Also, Phoenix Children's probably falls on the same level as UCSD and Children's of Orange County.

This is all just hearsay though.. that's what makes this board great!

Hi...anyone couples matching? How many programs are you applying to? My list keeps getting longer the more nervous I get.

Hi...anyone couples matching? How many programs are you applying to? My list keeps getting longer the more nervous I get.

I'm not couples matching....but a couple words about it. It really depends on how competitive your significant others specialty is. As a whole, peds isn't too competitive. So if he or she is matching into something more competitive, it really depends on his or her application etc.

Childhealth:

I am couples matching with my g/f doing something slightly more competitive than Peds. My list is at 32 programs; I feel like that should be a good number, and shoot for between 15-20 interviews, closer to 15. You have thoughts??

And to all those about the west versus the snow, coming from someone who grew up out west and went to college in the midwest is that there are pluses to the snow too. After 3-4 months of triple digit heat, it gets old out here too! :)

Doctor wannabe, this is the word on the street:

OHSU: VERY competitive. Not a safety school by any means
UNC: Mildly competitive, but not a safety
UCSD: Competitive; who doesn't want to apply to san diego? They get lots of apps.

From my mind, you really don't have a single safety school on your list (unless you are sleeping with a program director, or created world peace) :laugh:

I have no idea how competitive you are, im sure very much so if you are looking at a list like that, but I would consider adding a couple of less competitive programs. If you are looking to stay west, the "Not as" competitive programs (again, from what I have heard) are U of Az, UC Irvine, UC Davis, the Denver community program. Also, Phoenix Children's probably falls on the same level as UCSD and Children's of Orange County.

This is all just hearsay though.. that's what makes this board great!

CrazyPeds527,
Thanks for the advice. I was afraid I didn't have enough safety schools on my list. I'm not sure how competitive I am, but I'm certainly not at the top of my class. I honored the Peds clerkship and one Peds 4th year elective so far, and my Step 1 score was 230.

Any other recommendations for good less competitive programs? I'm open to east coast programs too.

Being from the midwest, i have mostly opinions of midwest places...

Chicago: Children's Memorial >= UofChicago > Rush=Loyola>UIC>stroger/cch (would not rec to a US grad honestly)
Chicago also has a couple good community based programs: Lutheran General and Christ Hospital
Other midwest: MCW > Uof Wisc = Riley's (indiana)
WashU is very competitive, StLu U is less so, but still good.

I also have been researching new york schools,
Columbia is considered the best (though talks of malignancy), but cornell, nyu, LIS, and the two AECOM (monte>jacobi??) schools are all supposed to be good with varying degrees of competitiveness.

this is all without ever seeing the majority of these programs and based 100% on reputation as provided by my classmates and those the years above me and talks with residents and my advisors, so please take my gigantic grain of salt with this post :rolleyes:

So my ERAS has been submitted!!! I don't know if I should be excited or scared s***less :scared:. My list ended up being much longer than I anticipated, but I couldn't narrow it down any further. I added a couple safety schools (it should be obvious which ones those are), but I hope I don't have to use them! Good luck to everyone! :D

University of Colorado
Yale
Children's National
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
University of Chicago
Indiana University
Children's Hospital/Boston Medical Center
Massachusetts General Hospital
Johns Hopkins
University of Michigan
Duke
University of North Carolina
New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus)
SUNY at Buffalo
University of Rochester
Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Ohio State University
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
St Christopher's Hospital for Children
University Health Center of Pittsburgh
Baylor
University of Texas Southwestern
University of Washington

after all that talk about the south, we both end up applying to Baylor! houston should be really really nice in january, when i am wearing my knee-length down parka at home griping about how my car won't start.

Applying to all programs only in California...except for the military one in San Diego, White Memorial, and UCSF/Fresno.

Submitted my ERAS early Saturday morning, because I'm crazy like that.

Good luck to everyone!!

after all that talk about the south, we both end up applying to Baylor! houston should be really really nice in january, when i am wearing my knee-length down parka at home griping about how my car won't start.

I know...I feel like a hypocrite!!! But it is a good school. Thank God for air conditioning!!!

Y'all let me know when you're going to be down here. Marigold and I will meet you for lunch, maybe show you around town. :)

(that goes for other sdners applying to peds and visiting our hometown as well)

Y'all let me know when you're going to be down here. Marigold and I will meet you for lunch, maybe show you around town. :)

That would be great! Same goes for anyone applying to Rochester....of course....I'm not sure how many people actually apply here.

That would be great! Same goes for anyone applying to Rochester....of course....I'm not sure how many people actually apply here.

thank you!

and if anyone is in Chi-town, I'd be happy to meet up as well!

In no particular order:
CCMC
Yale
Northwestern
Boston Children's
Mass General
UNC
Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Cincinnati
Columbus
CHOP
Pittsburg
Vanderbilt

I guess I'll jump in the mix.

PA- CHOP, St. Chris, Penn St
DE- Dupont/thomas jefferson
MD- Hopkins, U of MD, Sinai
DC- Children's Nat'l, G-town
VA- INOVA, VCU, Eastern VA
NC- UNC
TN- Vandy
OH- Columbus/OSU

I am originally from the mid-atlantic area and would like to get back there. I am also limited in region on where my significant other wants to live. I also don't want to deal with too much cold and snow or lake effect snow so no more northeast for me!

I am applying to Peds as well. I am couples matching--so I applied to 30 programs. Majority in the Midwest with a couple other cities outside.

I finally submitted my ERAS application today! I'm applying mainly in the Southeast--my husband is another one of the cold-weather haters and is less than willing to relocate outside of the South... Here's my list of 12:
AL--UAB
GA--MCG
MD--Hopkins
NC--UNC, Duke, Wake, Carolinas
SC--MUSC, Greenville, Palmetto Health/USC
TN--Vandy
VA--UVA

Good luck to all!

All you crazy cold weather people! ;) I'm only applying in the good ole South.

Me too! Lived in the South all my life...I don't know how to do snow. And as OBP said, the thought of going outside post-36 hr day and having to shovel snow off my car is just not appealing.

Plus, I wanna stay near my family, and they're all here too.

Yes, I'd love to meet possible future co-interns! :D

I am from the south, but my wife and I decided to try the northern life for a bit. Basically applied to all programs in NYC, Boston, DC and Chicago. Should make for a fun interview trail (a bit costly though).

Just sent in my application, applied to probably too many programs (20), but I thought I'd cast out a wide net, see what I get and then sort of go from there. I'm so nervous but finally I stopped editing my PS for the thirtieth time and sent it. :)

Here's my list:
Ohio: Rainbow, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State, Wright State, Cincinnati
NYC area: Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Maimonides, Albert Einstein/Montefiore
California: CHLA, USC-San Diego
Florida: University of Miami, Children's Hospital of Miami
DC: Children's National Medical Center, Georgetown
University of Colorado
Brown
CHOP

MD- Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Maryland, Hopkins
DE- Thomas Jefferson/Dupont
DC- DC Children's, Georgetown
PA- Penn State, St. Christopher's in Philly
VA- VCU, Eastern VA, INOVA, UVA
OH- Children's in Akron, Cleveland Clinic
NY- Suny at Buffalo, Albany, Suny at Stony Brook, Albert Einstein-Jacobi
NC- Duke, Wake Forest

Applied to 25.
CNMC
Georgetown
Sinai
JHU
U Maryland
VCU
UVA
Inova
Eastern VA
duPont
Emory
MCG
UNC Chapel Hill
Carolinas Med Center
Duke
UMDNJ NJMS
UMDNJ RWJMS
UMDNJ RWJMS Camden
Newark Beth Israel
CHOP
St Chris
Albert Einstein (PA)
Medical U SC
USC (Palmetto Health)
Crozer-Chester

So if you can't tell I am not sure where I want to live so i have applied to 22 programs so far and might add more, I am an Ohio girl at heart but I think change might be good too
OH:OSU, Wright State, Akron Children, Cinci, Rainbow, UT
MI:U of M
NY:Mount Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Albert Einstein
CA:CHO, Stanford, UCSF, UCSD, Kaiser, UCLA
FL:FSU, Orlando
and Denver, New Mexico, and Utah

So we'll see where I end up good luck everyone

Cincinnati Childrens
Cleveland Rainbow Babies
Northwestern Children's Memorial
University of Chicago
Indiana University (Riley)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wash U
Rush
Vandy
St. Vincent (Indianapolis)

Here are my 10 (in no particular order). I might apply to more later....

Colorado
Seattle
OHSU
UCSF
Utah
Northwestern
Wash U
New Mexico
University of South Florida
Wake Forest

today i was talking with my attending about my application, and he warned me against specific programs (including where he did fellowship) for residency because, though they have outstanding reputations, they are not good for residents because the focus is either too much on the fellow or on research. has anyone else received this type of feedback?

i asked him how we, as applicants, could know this, and he said by asking the residents (but that still requires visiting the program, which he told me not to waste my time or money doing...)

today i was talking with my attending about my application, and he warned me against specific programs (including where he did fellowship) for residency because, though they have outstanding reputations, they are not good for residents because the focus is either too much on the fellow or on research. has anyone else received this type of feedback?

I have heard this from several people... mainly residents who did NOT go to one of those 'big name' programs, but interviewed there and decided against. It seems like big name places are great for fellowship and if you are really into the academic pathway, but you may not get the 'independent decision making experience' there that you get in 'resident-run' programs.

by the way, my adviser showed me this page, and i thought it was interesting. i'm not completely sure what to make of it, but it gives some insight into the programs and their size.

https://www.abp.org/resident/passrates.htm