Applying for Pediatrics residency 2022 as Non US IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legitimate_Koala_992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,
I am a Non US IMG hoping to match in Pediatrics. My details are :
1. Step 1 score - 233
2. Step 2 score - 260
3. YOG - November 2019
4. Research Experience - Worked as Research Assistant (paid work not voluntary) in WHO's surveillance studies in Pediatrics (vaccine and vaccine preventable disease related) @ Home country
5. 3 Clinical LORs (cited as strong by one US faculty) - all by pediatricians from medical school ( 1 department chair)
6. 1 Research LOR - From project manager (from above mentioned research work)
7. No USCE
8. No Publication
9. Not much of contacts in US to get interviews.

My questions are :
A. What are my chances of matching in Pediatrics?
B. How should I best apply to programs - in regards to where I should apply (university, community set up ) and number of programs ?
C. Is research LOR as valuable as clinical LOR ? Or should I not use it when only 3 LORs are asked by a program?
D. Is it okay for me to use both research experience and LOR (as they are from the same source - or is it not considered good) ?

Members don't see this ad.

Solution
Thank you very much for answering my questions.
Yes. I am applying this year.
All 3 of the clinical LORs are within 2 years but just barely so ( since I graduated on 2019 November). I previously worked part - time during my USMLE preparation but couldn't find anyone to write me a strong LOR from there. However, I've recently joined an academic facility, handling COVID patients, full time (I'll be seeing patients in ICU, ER, Clinics but all patient population not just children) - its a national institute. I may be able to acquire a recent LOR from here, but its really soon - its not even a week that I have started working and even if I do get the LOR, I am afraid the programs won't receive it on time.
Is it okay if I send out the...
Your stats are impressive, but it really is important to have USCE. I know that is difficult given the current pandemic. Are you applying this year or next? Also, have you been involved in clinical care in your home country over the last two years? That said, based on your stats you still probably have a really good chance to match based on your stats--according to this resource, non-US IMGs with your stats have matched at a 95% rate over the last 5 years: https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...ram/viz/ChartingOutcomes2020/ChartingOutcomes

You still should cast a wide net, and you probably need to manually look at program websites, look at their current residents lists (most of them will say which medical school they graduated from) and see which ones accept IMGs. Many IMGs apply to 100+ programs because it’s impossible to guess which programs will be interested.

Using one research LOR is fine. If your med school LORs are 2 years old now, you probably need someone who has seen you care for patients more recently than that to write you a letter.

Last edited:
Your stats are impressive, but it really is important to have USCE. I know that is difficult given the current pandemic. Are you applying this year or next? Also, have you been involved in clinical care in your home country over the last two years? That said, based on your stats you still probably have a really good chance to match based on your stats--according to this resource, non-US IMGs with your stats have matched at a 95% rate over the last 5 years: https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...ram/viz/ChartingOutcomes2020/ChartingOutcomes

You still should cast a wide net, and you probably need to manually look at program websites, look at their current residents lists (most of them will say which medical school they graduated from) and see which ones accept IMGs. Many IMGs apply to 100+ programs because it’s impossible to guess which programs will be interested.

Using one research LOR is fine. If your med school LORs are 2 years old now, you probably need someone who has seen you care for patients more recently than that to write you a letter.
All 3 of the clinical LORs are within 2 years but just barely so ( since I graduated on 2019 November). I previously worked part - time during my USMLE preparation but couldn't find anyone to write me a strong LOR from there. However, I've recently joined an academic facility, handling COVID patients, full time (I'll be seeing patients in ICU, ER, Clinics but all patient population not just children) - its a national institute. I may be able to acquire a recent LOR from here, but its really soon - its not even a week that I have started working and even if I do get the LOR, I am afraid the programs won't receive it on time.
Is it okay if I send out the recent LOR a bit late ? Not on initial application, but update the programs after around a month or two- depending on their deadlines?

Is it okay if I send out the recent LOR a bit late ? Not on initial application, but update the programs after around a month or two- depending on their deadlines?
Yes, you should absolutely send an LOR from this current experience even as an update.

Solution