Where are all the OAT scores?

BYUIDoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Isn't now the time of year people are taking the OAT? Why haven't more people posted their scores? I check the DAT forum almost as often as I check this one and it seems like their are several posts a day with people's scores and tips/advice on how to prepare. I realize they are a bit ahead of us application wise, but I would think most people who are applying for the 2008 cycle would be taking their test soon.

If anyone has taken it recently, we'd love to hear more details!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I guess I'll start it off if anyone's interested:

QR 400
RC 310 (ouch)
Bio 350
GC 390
OC 370
Phys 370

TS 380
AA 370

I took the test a week after final exams at my university. If you think the Kaplan OAT practice tests are hard...chances are you're right. I scored way worse on those than on the actual exam.

In terms of preparation....don't really read any of your old textbooks. Do as many problems as possible, whether they're from the textbook or a practice OAT book. You also don't want to bring a lot of stuff to the exam...I was totally cleaned out before they let me in. Had to remove watch, jacket, GLASSES (seriously), all items in pockets, no water bottle...heck I couldn't even bring in my own pencil. And for those who don't know, yes you get your scores right after the test. Hope that helps in your preparation.

afweji....what was physics like? i hear gchem is mostly conceptual and only a few (4-5) calculations. is this the same with physics?

could you also explain more of how you studied for QR and what it takes to do well in that section?

what was your strategy for RC? would you do it different?

Members don't see this ad :)
afweji....what was physics like? i hear gchem is mostly conceptual and only a few (4-5) calculations. is this the same with physics?

could you also explain more of how you studied for QR and what it takes to do well in that section?

what was your strategy for RC? would you do it different?

My physics exam had a lot of mechanics questions (kinematic equations, energy, that stuff) which did require calculations. There are conceptual questions though...but those mainly were in the form of optics and electricity questions. General chemistry is very conceptual. I can only remember maybe three or four calculation-based questions.

For QR, I can honestly say the only thing I did was do the practice sets in the practice OAT book. I do have a very strong mathematical background, however, due to taking a lot of calculus based physical chemistry classes. These classes already require me to be able to pull quick numbers out of my butt, so it prepared me well. You really want to practice on word problems, because those are bound to slow you down. In the actual test, I skipped all the word problems without even looking. After finishing all the other ones, I then went back to the word problems. I feel like this will allow you to get the most points possible per unit time, since word problems take longer but are worth the same.

As for RC, I did not go in with much of a strategy because I did not know how the computer based exam would be like. What I did during the exam was read the passage and take note of important figures (facts, numbers, etc) on the scratch paper. I would definitely change this because of the low score. When you switch to the questions, the article is still available for you to read. What I would do now instead is look for the answer after reading each question; maybe that will save some time.

I was totally cleaned out before they let me in. Had to remove watch, jacket, GLASSES (seriously), all items in pockets, no water bottle...heck I couldn't even bring in my own pencil. And for those who don't know, yes you get your scores right after the test. Hope that helps in your preparation.

Wow, they took your pencil? Do they supply these things in the testing room then?

Wow, they took your pencil? Do they supply these things in the testing room then?

They didn't take it, but I just wasn't allowed to bring it in. Instead, I was given two of those standard No. 2 pencils with some scratch paper so all materials were covered by the test center.

are you saying we arent allowed to bring in our glasses???or they just had to check them before we are allowed to take the exam?

I personally was not allowed to wear my glasses at all; they were left in the locker with the rest of my belongings. Then again I didn't put up a fight about it since I didn't need it to read the computer screen. If you need it, I'm sure the test center employee will allow you to use them if you ask. The guy that worked at the place I took the test at was pretty anal about personal belongings though, so I bet this is more like a special case rather than the norm.

Can't remember about the scratch paper, sorry.