when you say "do research".....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainDave

wish i was here
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, entering MS1 here interested in orthopaedics. I've been reading a lot in this forum, and a common tip seems to be that research will help your application.

What exactly do you mean by this? I'm finishing up a master's in biomedical engineering now, and have multiple papers on impact biomechanics, head and neck injury, fracture strength testing, etc.

Now I know that this experience can't hurt me, but are you suggesting that if serious about orthopaedics, I seek out and perform a research project during medical school as well, say in the summer between MS1 and MS2? Or do I already have a sufficient research/academic base?

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

CaptainDave said:
Hello, entering MS1 here interested in orthopaedics. I've been reading a lot in this forum, and a common tip seems to be that research will help your application.

What exactly do you mean by this? I'm finishing up a master's in biomedical engineering now, and have multiple papers on impact biomechanics, head and neck injury, fracture strength testing, etc.

Now I know that this experience can't hurt me, but are you suggesting that if serious about orthopaedics, I seek out and perform a research project during medical school as well, say in the summer between MS1 and MS2? Or do I already have a sufficient research/academic base?

Thanks for the advice, guys.

It sounds like you already have a good foundation for research. If you are interested in applying to residencies that have a substantial research component (1-2 years), there are a few that are really great.

What journals are your papers in? Are they orthopaedics journals or engineering journals? Not that it matters too much, but if they are in orthopaedics journals, then you already have far more research experience that most applicants. If you just spend your summer tying up loose ends on previous projects, that is probably sufficient. I wouldn't go starting more projects unless you really want to.

Also, if you are first author and your publications were really YOUR projects, then you are in the top 5% of applicants as far as research goes.

You are going to be a hot commodity for research residencies. Everyone is looking for engineers—they are a great addition to research labs and that area is very exciting.

Seriously, though, if you have a good biomedical engineering background, you ought to consider research residencies. Research is a great way to make a big contribution to the field.

Best of luck—You’ll probably do fine.

P.S. Campbell Clinic is a great program--I almost went there. You will have a great time at The Med. They let students do a lot there, both on Ortho and other surgical rotations.

thanks a bunch for the reply moquito, i was beginning to think i wasn't going to get any responses.

most of my pubs are in engineering journals, but i have one in clinical journal of sports medicine. no first author journal articles as of yet, but i've presented as a first author at the American Society of Biomechanics conference. my thesis project that I'm wrapping up right now will be presented at the ASB conference in September, and we are talking about submitting to AJSM. I'm not sure you would call those orthopedic journals, but they're better than our boring engineering journals ;)

I'm definitely interested in a research-heavy type of residency; I had a biomechanics concentration in both undergrad and grad so I guess I've kind of been preparing for this type of work for a while now, even if I wasn't aware at the time.

I'm *really* excited about the Med and Campbell Clinic; I feel really lucky that UTHSC is my state med school.

again, thanks a bunch for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just some random, but related questions:

How do these journals stack up in terms of ortho prestige: Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, Gait and Posture, and Journal of Biomechanics? I hopefully will have articles in each (2 first authorships, one 2nd).

How does a 2-year stint as a biomedical engineer in a gait/motion lab compare for research experience?

Which residencies are these research residencies you mentioned?

CaptainDave said:
thanks a bunch for the reply moquito, i was beginning to think i wasn't going to get any responses.

most of my pubs are in engineering journals, but i have one in clinical journal of sports medicine. no first author journal articles as of yet, but i've presented as a first author at the American Society of Biomechanics conference. my thesis project that I'm wrapping up right now will be presented at the ASB conference in September, and we are talking about submitting to AJSM. I'm not sure you would call those orthopedic journals, but they're better than our boring engineering journals ;)

I'm definitely interested in a research-heavy type of residency; I had a biomechanics concentration in both undergrad and grad so I guess I've kind of been preparing for this type of work for a while now, even if I wasn't aware at the time.

I'm *really* excited about the Med and Campbell Clinic; I feel really lucky that UTHSC is my state med school.

again, thanks a bunch for the advice.

You should submit to AJSM. The worst that can happen is that they reject it, you lose a few months and resubmit to somewhere else. If it were me, that's where I would submit it if I thought it was appropriate. AJSM is a great journal. I don't know it's impact factor, it's close to JBJS. It is very widely read in orthopaedics and has published a number of benchmark papers.

I don't know about the engineering journals and meetings. Someone who is an engineer-orthopaedic surgeon would know better.

You sound like a stellar guy and have a great start to your career. Enjoy Memphis!

RxnMan said:

How do these journals stack up in terms of ortho prestige: Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, Gait and Posture, and Journal of Biomechanics? I hopefully will have articles in each (2 first authorships, one 2nd).

How does a 2-year stint as a biomedical engineer in a gait/motion lab compare for research experience?

These research programs are really the future of academic orthopaedics. Everyone who I have met who has done one of them has said that it was a great experience and would highly recommend it. If you are serious about practicing academic orthopaedics, you ought to consider one of these.

Here are the programs that I know of that have a 6-year program or option (there may be others that I have omitted):

Boston University
Dartmouth
University of Pittsburgh
Columbia
Brown
University of Pennsylvania
Penn State
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Ohio State
St Louis University
University of Missouri-Columbia
Medical University of South Carolina
University of North Carolina
University of Virginia

These programs have one 7-year track with 2 years of research:

Wake Forest University
University of Mississippi
Medical College of Georgia

Each of these programs has a different flavor and has a different focus. Some are all in the lab, others are mixed. The amount of call and clinical responsibility during the research year varies from program to program. It really takes getting to know each of them to know which is best suited for whatever you want to do.

Hope this helps,

RxnMan said:

I don't know anything about those journals. If you have something published in your area, that is a plus, no matter what your area is.

EMG, gait and kinesiology is not my thing, but it sounds like a great scientific experience.

If you have been working in a lab and have publications, you will be above your peers when it comes to residency application time.

again, thanks for all the posts moquito. I'll get to work on submitting that article to AJSM.