Canadian MD factors to consider when applying to Ortho in US.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted745951

Hello,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to read and/or address my question. Though officially, Canadian MD's are not IMGS and are considered on par with US MDs, would there be much discrimination when it comes to applying for an Ortho residency in the US in comparison to a US MD?, mid-tier programs of course. I come from a reputable Canadian school and with Step 1- 250-260 range.

The work opportunity for orthopods here (CAN) have not been looking great. Alternatively one could complete the residency here and work down south but I thought I might as well get into the US system to begin with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Best regards.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to read and/or address my question. Though officially, Canadian MD's are not IMGS and are considered on par with US MDs, would there be much discrimination when it comes to applying for an Ortho residency in the US in comparison to a US MD?, mid-tier programs of course. I come from a reputable Canadian school and with Step 1- 250-260 range.

The work opportunity for orthopods here (CAN) have not been looking great. Alternatively one could complete the residency here and work down south but I thought I might as well get into the US system to begin with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Best regards.
Look into the visa process. I know the Canadian government has not been granting statements of nend for orthopaedics which I believe are needed to qualify for the j1 visa.

I'm not Canadian. Visa isn't an issue, J1 is the option and I'll have to find a waiver later on, but more from a PD's point of view, any significant biases for mid tier programs or do you stand a relatively equal chance as an AMG according to AAMC? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup just spoke to some Pds and residents they said the same things. Most said to apply somewhere with many Canadian faculty. Just trying to see if its worth dual applying when its much less of a hassle to get into a residency here :/. Thank you.