When will the residency match result comes out for 2018?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med_docg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my classmates said she was admitted by a CT resident program in West Coast. I mean it is only January. What kind of program will announce that so early.

is there something fishy?

Members don't see this ad.

Some fields have an early match. If you go to the ophthalmology forum, for example, you'll see their match just happened. I think peds neuro is also early.

Some fields have an early match. If you go to the ophthalmology forum, for example, you'll see their match just happened. I think peds neuro is also early.
Yeah, but CT surg is part of the NRMP match. So, unless the program has 1 spot and has already decided to rank only that person (or truly rank them to match), then yes, there's something fishy.

Given the ways of world, I'd suspect the OP's friend is either lying, or misinterpreting. But I suppose it could be the program.

Yeah I had something similar happen.

Someone I know from a summer program I facilitated for high school students, who is now in med school recently posted about matching to a program in NYC (for IM I believe). I made sure the date was from this year and everything. She goes to a well known U.S. school, her pic is one of her graduation gown and she said it's her last day of med school.

Does med school now finish in the winter for some programs? So confused!

Yeah I had something similar happen.

Someone I know from a summer program I facilitated for high school students, who is now in med school recently posted about matching to a program in NYC (for IM I believe). I made sure the date was from this year and everything. She goes to a well known U.S. school, her pic is one of her graduation gown and she said it's her last day of med school.

Does med school now finish in the winter for some programs? So confused!
Might have graduated off cycle. Due to a leave of absence or other issue.

Yeah, but CT surg is part of the NRMP match. So, unless the program has 1 spot and has already decided to rank only that person (or truly rank them to match), then yes, there's something fishy.

Given the ways of world, I'd suspect the OP's friend is either lying, or misinterpreting. But I suppose it could be the program.

Let me provide more input: the claimed program is Stanford CT surgeon residency program ( they have 2 spots ). I am not sure how she get admitted at this moment, but I know her parents are both heart surgeons. It would be a shame for Stanford if something is under the table during the application.

Let me provide more input: the claimed program is Stanford CT surgeon residency program ( they have 2 spots ). I am not sure how she get admitted at this moment, but I know her parents are both heart surgeons. It would be a shame for Stanford if something is under the table during the application.
Well, if you read my post carefully, you'll see that I outlined a way in which this could in fact be legitimate. They have 2 spots. They told your friend that s/he is ranked in the top 2 spots on their list and that, if they rank them #1, they'll match there. While technically allowed, the NRMP and ACGME frown on this kind of communication by programs.

Now, there still may be something sketchy going on here, but I wouldn't bet on it, especially from a high profile place like Stanford.

But maybe....

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe the person got some email from the PD saying something like, "we really enjoyed interviewing you. Will look forward to you coming to work here" and they sent it out to like 30 people, and your friend took it as a guaranteed match.

A few programs have dropped out of the match in various fields, I don't know how it works but several classmates have been offered prematches

A few programs have dropped out of the match in various fields, I don't know how it works but several classmates have been offered prematches
Prematches have been banned for US Grads for a looooong time, and for everyone in most programs since ~2013. The only exceptions (programs outside the match) are obviously Ophtho/Urology/military, the DO programs that haven't integrated in yet, some unusual family medicine fast track programs (attached to 3 year med schools), and a *tiny* handful of programs "all-out" of the match. No other program at an institution is allowed to take people outside of the match for a July 1 start date ("off-cycle" start dates can sometimes get out of it if a resident gets fired or something, but it gets complicated and it's the wrong time of year for that anyway)

You have to understand what being "all-out" means. Not just your program, but your *entire* institution must completely exempt yourselves from the match. That basically means your chance of getting any candidates worth a damn are near-zero. Out of ~4000 programs in the country, there are something like 100 total outside of the match. The majority of them are malignant IMG-mills in the northeast (>1/3 in NY). I cannot fathom a reason why a US grad would take that offer outside of some super compelling personal reason where they absolutely had to be in that geographic location.

Reactions: 1 users
Prematches have been banned for US Grads for a looooong time, and for everyone in most programs since ~2013. The only exceptions (programs outside the match) are obviously Ophtho/Urology/military, the DO programs that haven't integrated in yet, some unusual family medicine fast track programs (attached to 3 year med schools), and a *tiny* handful of programs "all-out" of the match. No other program at an institution is allowed to take people outside of the match for a July 1 start date ("off-cycle" start dates can sometimes get out of it if a resident gets fired or something, but it gets complicated and it's the wrong time of year for that anyway)

You have to understand what being "all-out" means. Not just your program, but your *entire* institution must completely exempt yourselves from the match. That basically means your chance of getting any candidates worth a damn are near-zero. Out of ~4000 programs in the country, there are something like 100 total outside of the match. The majority of them are malignant IMG-mills in the northeast (>1/3 in NY). I cannot fathom a reason why a US grad would take that offer outside of some super compelling personal reason where they absolutely had to be in that geographic location.
mad jack is a DO i believe, so that could make sense.

Unless this has changed in the last year or so, I'm pretty sure it's not correct. It definitely wasn't the case when I was interviewing in 2015.

It's program by program, not institution wide. Here's one example of an institution having some programs in the match and some not.

Brooklyn Methodist Hospital (formerly New York Methodist)
-anesthesia is "all-out"
Anesthesiology Residency Program - NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
-IM, EM, gensurg all go through the NRMP
Primary Care Internal Medicine Residency Program - NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
How to Apply | Emergency Medicine Residency Program - NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Surgery Residency Program - NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital

Unless this has changed in the last year or so, I'm pretty sure it's not correct. It definitely wasn't the case when I was interviewing in 2015.

It's program by program, not institution wide. Here's one example of an institution having some programs in the match and some not.

Brooklyn Methodist Hospital (formerly New York Methodist)
-anesthesia is "all-out"
Anesthesiology Residency Program - NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
-IM, EM, gensurg all go through the NRMP
Primary Care Internal Medicine Residency Program - NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
How to Apply | Emergency Medicine Residency Program - NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Surgery Residency Program - NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
I checked the NRMP policy itself and you're right. I'll take that back.

They were talking about it being on an institutional level back in 2013, but it must have changed at some point. Or my memory is failing me.

Regardless still, the "all-out" programs are a special breed.

I checked the NRMP policy itself and you're right. I'll take that back.

They were talking about it being on an institutional level back in 2013, but it must have changed at some point. Or my memory is failing me.

Regardless still, the "all-out" programs are a special breed.

Many non competitive fellowships are out, even at big name institutions. They do that in order to maximize their interview time efficiency. For core residencies, I agree, it is as you described.

Many non competitive fellowships are out, even at big name institutions. They do that in order to maximize their interview time efficiency. For core residencies, I agree, it is as you described.
Fellowships are different. They have always been optional for the all in policy.

except for nephrology and, i think, ID...they are "all -in"...why i'm not sure since they are probably the 2 fellowships that could benefit from pre matching...
Sort of . It's on a program by program basis. Same as Endocrine and Sleep. That is, a program can be "all in" or "all out", just can't be a mix. There's some programs out there that are out.

Sort of . It's on a program by program basis. Same as Endocrine and Sleep. That is, a program can be "all in" or "all out", just can't be a mix. There's some programs out there that are out.
There's another critical caveat, in that the NRMP defines "All In" for SMS programs as "75% of programs have to participate, and 75% of the spots within the specialty, need to be in the Match".

So, even if you're "All In" for fellowship, you can still be 25% out.