Army When will residency applications be released?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the Army residency applications will be released? I can't reach anyone at MODS.

Members don't see this ad.

The Memorandum of Instruction will be out in the next few months. In the past, the applications were due in November with the board meeting in December. That is not going to be the case this year. Everything is going to be later with the board meeting in the spring.

MODS is not the coordinating body for it. It is through Graduate Dental Education and through myself at HRC.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Memorandum of Instruction will be out in the next few months. In the past, the applications were due in November with the board meeting in December. That is not going to be the case this year. Everything is going to be later with the board meeting in the spring.

MODS is not the coordinating body for it. It is through Graduate Dental Education and through myself at HRC.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

If the board is not meeting until Spring, then does that mean we won't know where we will go until close to graduation?

If the board is not meeting until Spring, then does that mean we won't know where we will go until close to graduation?

Great question. Usually, the turnaround on the board results is pretty quick. Last year, we had them out within roughly a month or so. We will need to release the results in advance, well before graduation in order to do assignments and such. For example, if you are starting a residency in 2016, we usually position you in that location after you graduate in 2015 for the following year until you actually start the program. Therefore, we need to know as well as you do in order to move.

Great question. Usually, the turnaround on the board results is pretty quick. Last year, we had them out within roughly a month or so. We will need to release the results in advance, well before graduation in order to do assignments and such. For example, if you are starting a residency in 2016, we usually position you in that location after you graduate in 2015 for the following year until you actually start the program. Therefore, we need to know as well as you do in order to move.

Is this the same board for AEGD-1s as well?

Any updates on when applications might be available? Any tips on how to prepare for the application right now (how many LORs and from whom, what is considered in the package etc.)? I believe the Air Force and Navy are done with their residency applications and it is making me anxious.

The Instructions should be out On/Around 15 August. Some things that could be worked on ahead of time would be the letter of intent, a recommendation letter from someone in that field, and a letter from the commander. Those were requirements last year.

Reactions: 1 user
The Instructions should be out On/Around 15 August. Some things that could be worked on ahead of time would be the letter of intent, a recommendation letter from someone in that field, and a letter from the commander. Those were requirements last year.

Is there any approximate idea on when the board for OMFS will meet in February? The main reason for this question is that the oral surgery exam (NBME CBSE) is on February 7, 2015, and the scores are released a week later. If the board would meet after February 15th and an applicant (such as myself) did significantly better on the the February exam, then they could petition the chairman of the board to consider their new score in the application, if there was any significant improvement.

I received a score on the NMBE (recent August 16, 2014 test) that is in the 78-80th percentile for dental students OMFS hopefuls, but I think I can take it again and push it up to 85th + percentile on the next exam. My class rank is weak, thus this ridiculously difficult exam is a critical part to my application. My OER was from my first year AD was very good (but not in 'excels' category - I almost think that dental commanders purposely do not give the highest recommendation to fresh junior officers, so that there can be some show of 'improvement' on the subsequent OER, if they give them an 'excels').

Did you receive the MOI that was sent out about the board?
Yes, I just read over it more thoroughly. I see when they are meeting, so there is time. However, I can only hope that they will accept my personal e-mail copy of the board score forwarded from the AAOMS. It is highly possible that official score reports will not be sent out by the AAOMS within 2 weeks of the test administration, but I guess we will keep our fingers crossed. I also will have to actually improve my test score, which is the biggest obstacle of all.

I find it interesting that there is a possibility of sending out two guys to to 6 year OMFS (civilian) programs. I am not sure what their thoughts are about this, but the timing of the board is unfortunate if you get selected for that program. Air Force and Navy have similar arrangements, but their boards meet in the summer before the Army board, in order to give applicants time to apply for the fall cycle. Thus a senior HPSP selected for such an honor would have to apply the following year while on active duty and likely chew up all their 6 months of accrued leave going to interviews (most civilian OMFS applicants go to 10+ interviews to increase their likelihood of matching). Additionally, I venture that it would be unlikely that current AD OMFS hopefuls would be willing to do a long 6 year program (I actually would consider it, but don't know many in my shoes).

Needless to say, it is always interesting to see how the board will sway from year to year when picking residents.