This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotus_73

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm currently a sophomore in college and had some doubts on when to take the MCAT. My pre-health adviser told me to start studying over winter break my junior year, then take an intensive course (i.e Kaplan or Princeton) over summer break and take it in July/August. She failed to mention that that meant my scores would be received around October, which won't let me apply early to most med schools (something I need with my low GPA).

Seeing how i've struggled with most of my pre-req science courses i'm assuming i'm going to need a lot of studying to score high on the MCAT. It also doesn't help that the semester i'm supposed to be juggling my academics with studying for the MCAT is the most academically rigorous semester i'll have thus far. I've heard a lot of people say take it in April, but I don't think i'll have anywhere near enough time to study for it then.

I'm very lost as to what should I do in my particular case. Should I take an extra year of college(which I desperately didn't want to do) to repeat all my pre-reqs that i've gotten C's (3-4) and solely study for the MCAT? Or would that look bad on my transcript? Should I go through with what my advisor wrote out and hope for the best?

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that you've gotten C's in pre-reqs, you shouldn't even be considering taking the MCAT while having a full course load or even taking the MCAT for that matter. Retake all C's. What is your GPA?

The fact that you've gotten C's in pre-reqs, you shouldn't even be considering taking the MCAT while having a full course load or even taking the MCAT for that matter. Retake all C's. What is your GPA?
I currently have a 3.17 cGPA and a 2.99 sGPA, but those are just my stats from my freshman year. I've yet to get my final grades back for this semester. I'm willing to apply to DO schools, and i'll also have decent EC. I don't think I can't take the MCAT ever, i'm just trying to figure out how I should plan for it to be most favorable for my particular case.

Get your grades up first. Get your GPA above 3.4 then talk about MCAT. Especially since you are only a freshman. If you need study tips/advice PM me I advise you.