When to take Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drwannabe44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I didn't so well on the Step 1 exam, and I wanted to know when i should take step 2? My thrid year rotations end on June 25, could i take it in July??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I didn't so well on the Step 1 exam, and I wanted to know when i should take step 2? My thrid year rotations end on June 25, could i take it in July??

So you are starting 3rd year now? I would say absolutely take it in July. A lot of people take the month off to study and then take the exam just prior to their August clerkship. I will tell you now, the trick to doing well on Step 2 is keeping up with studying throughout the year and doing well on the shelf exams. If you keep up with those, your studying will be more of a refresher and not as much new learning. That is key! Good luck this year.

So, my 3rd year doesn't end until mid-july and then we have this 2 week colloquim. I could start studying at night during this 2 weeks. Do I take it in aug to have the scores back for ERAS, or go with an audition rotation. I only took COMLEX step 1, got a 518. Interested in Neuro, Psych, and PM&R, so nothing overwhelmingly competitive. Advice? I was considering taking both COMLEX and USMLE.