When to take Kaplan

hoosier1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking the OAT's in June of next year. When should I take the kaplan course? Would it be better if I take it this summer and maybe take the lowest score guaranteed and review their resources? Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be taking the OAT's in June of next year. When should I take the kaplan course? Would it be better if I take it this summer and maybe take the lowest score guaranteed and review their resources? Any advice appreciated!

I don't think it would be necessary to start that early. I would recommend you Take Kaplan after you finish most of the prereq's and some relevant bio classes (physio, microbio, biochem, genetics) and then take the OAT 2 weeks to a month after the class.
Ideally, I would recommend you take Kaplan (and nothing else, no summer school, no regular school, no schooool!) beginning May or June (whenever you get out of school) and take the OAT before fall class begins so you have the summer to worry about the OAT and nothing else. You'll forget everything (or I would, at least), if you take the Kaplan a year before, and end up just wasting a summer. It's not too crazy if you prepare and set your mind to it.

my .20 cents

I agree with the above. I did everything last minute and didn't have time to take the course. So I got the materials from someone who did and studied for the 3-4 weeks during Christmas break and took it before classes resumed. It was tough but worked, thank god. So I don't recommend my route, lol.

I personally thinks the Kaplan course is a waste of money. It is a good idea only if you're planning to take the course and do all the homework for it and nothing else ( no work or school). I took the course-- got way behind, ended up just studying off the Kaplan materials for a month and did just fine. Buy the study materials from someone and save $1000!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I agree with the two posts above me. I would definitely try to buy the materials off of someone. I only enjoyed the course part because of the numerous practice subject tests it provided. I don't know if it's legal for me to pass them along, but I did print them out for myself and now I have a bunch of them if anyone wants to buy them off of me. I thought that the studying that I did the last 2 months leading up to the exam helped me more than the course ever did. Good luck!

I COMPLETELY agree with the others. I took the course,...for $1400. It was such a waste of money...all you need is the review notes book and maybe the flashcards for before the test. I studied the review notes book for 2 weeks before the test hardcore and went up 40 points in each section. Don't take the course. And I'm selling my review notes and flashcards now anyways..I would sell them to you for 400 and then you can save your 1000.