When to expect interview invitations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just an FYI, I emailed a program about being interested yesterday and received an invite today.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted first week of October. You think that could be it?
I agree with the others that this is probably the issue, or at least a major part of it. I applied the first week of September last year and already had a bunch of invites by the first week of October. Also agree that you will start to get invites now that the early applicants are starting to cancel some of theirs.

Just an FYI, I emailed a program about being interested yesterday and received an invite today.

Who did you email, the PC or the PD, or someone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the residents who went through this is the past few years, how late did you get invites?

It might just be me, but my invites have slowed down.
Still haven't heard anything from about half the places I applied.
I'm guessing either they don't really bother sending out rejections or else I'm stuck somewhere in the pile for people they might consider after other people reject their interview invites.

I kind of have the feeling candidates get more neurotic each year and go on more interviews. Kind of sucks if somebody is taking up a bunch of interview spots at places they really have no interest in going.

I can't complain as I already have a good amount of interviews and at pretty much all my top choices. Just would like to hear back from a couple others to check them out.

So i've gotten 7 interviews and after that 11 rejections, though I sort of expected them as I applied to many DO non-friendly programs. Still 11 in a row is pretty disheartening...

So i've gotten 7 interviews and after that 11 rejections, though I sort of expected them as I applied to many DO non-friendly programs. Still 11 in a row is pretty disheartening...

How about 7 rejections all in one day? Trying not to let it get too disheartening though - I anticipated a deluge of rejections from applying incredibly broadly, and I've got a pretty good number of invites. But yeah, it's definitely not a fun part of this process.

On the one hand it'd be great if the rest of the rejections came all at once like a massive band aid getting ripped off, but then again, perhaps not.... :rolleyes:

For the residents who went through this is the past few years, how late did you get invites?

I am curious about this as well.
After looking at last year's interview thread, it looks like there were invites coming in steadily up until close to Thanksgiving.....

Hi All,

Just wondering if might be able to get a little advice. I applied to 41 programs for Emergency Medicine. I have 6 interviews thus far... and 10 rejections (most of which came after the Deans letter was submitted. I'm not the most impressive applicant, fairly lackluster 3rd year grades (passes and high passes mostly), from a top 10 school, and have 1 SLOR as well as 3 individual letters (2 EM and 1 from an FM doctor). My step 1 score was 235, step 2 of 254. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on whether I should apply to more programs at this point and which ones might be within my reach. My only requirement would be that I would like to live in a big city.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Just wondering if might be able to get a little advice. I applied to 41 programs for Emergency Medicine. I have 6 interviews thus far... and 10 rejections (most of which came after the Deans letter was submitted. I'm not the most impressive applicant, fairly lackluster 3rd year grades (passes and high passes mostly), from a top 10 school, and have 1 SLOR as well as 3 individual letters (2 EM and 1 from an FM doctor). My step 1 score was 235, step 2 of 254. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on whether I should apply to more programs at this point and which ones might be within my reach. My only requirement would be that I would like to live in a big city.

Thanks!

The other 2 EM docs didn't write you a SLOR? Many programs require 2 SLORs...maybe thats the problem? You're more than an above average applicant based on what you've written here - there is something else in your application causing the problem.

Hi All,

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to change things so dramatically from where they were when you posted this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10753044#post10753044

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies guys.

alwaysaangel: My medical school made the decision this year that there would only be one SLOR per student from the school and it would be a compilation of each student's performance on the clerkship as described by 3 different faculty members. I am doing an away at another program right now, however I was informed that a SLOR from this away program would arrive too late to be useful in my application, and thus I was urged to obtain individual letters from EM faculty I had worked with at my school (non SLOR letters) and submit those instead.

steppwolf: Good catch. I lent my sister my account for a day so that she could post her question.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies guys.

alwaysaangel: My medical school made the decision this year that there would only be one SLOR per student from the school and it would be a compilation of each student's performance on the clerkship as described by 3 different faculty members. I am doing an away at another program right now, however I was informed that a SLOR from this away program would arrive too late to be useful in my application, and thus I was urged to obtain individual letters from EM faculty I had worked with at my school (non SLOR letters) and submit those instead.

steppwolf: Good catch. I lent my sister my account for a day so that she could post her question.

Peculiar to me that someone advised you to get EM letters that were not SLORs. I ended up submitting 4 SLORs for my app. The PD at my school's program said if it were him, he'd rather just read some succinct SLORs than some longwinded letters from other department professors.

Another piece of advice that I received myself recently. Even if you have submitted four letters and will receive another one from your current rotation, when it gets sent to your school for ERAS processing, have whoever your ERAS coordinator is send your newest SLOR via email to all the programs at which you interview so they can see your most recent performance. They still critique your whole app AFTER the interview, and a strong letter can only help you out further!

Hopefully you will hear some more. I believe ERAS is closed as of Nov 1 so applying to more is out of the question. Just nail the interviews you have and you should be fine. Like someone else said, your numbers are great, and grades play some but not a huge factor. Perhaps the letters are an issue, or you applied later than the masses....

Dane07MD: Thanks for the advice about the SLOR that is very helpful. I found a few programs for which the deadline was December 1st and I just applied to those to (hopefully!) increase my number of safety schools. We will just have to see. I think you may be right about the letters. I didn't apply particularly late, around September 14th if I remember correctly, so I'm not sure that's the issue. Although, I am sure I would have benefited somewhat from applying 2 weeks earlier.

Well its Dec, I have 8 interviews, one being at a prestigious university that guarantees interviews to those who rotate in their ED. Also I recieved all my interviews before Nov. and I have come to find out that my school didn't submit my Deans letter till half of Nov. was over. Makes me a little worried something on my letter was not so hot. According to outcomes to the match I have a 70% chance, not my kind of odds... Any thoughts?

My thoughts include: settle down, drink a beer, and enjoy the fact that you have eight interviews.

I continued to receive interview invites into January.

Chill, mon.

Has anyone else contacted programs about "asking" for an interview or expressing their interest in hopes of getting an interview offer yet?

Who should we contact: program coordinator or director? Call vs. email?

Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated.

Well its Dec, I have 8 interviews, one being at a prestigious university that guarantees interviews to those who rotate in their ED. Also I recieved all my interviews before Nov. and I have come to find out that my school didn't submit my Deans letter till half of Nov. was over. Makes me a little worried something on my letter was not so hot. According to outcomes to the match I have a 70% chance, not my kind of odds... Any thoughts?

How'd you get 70%? Last year, out of the 88 people who ranked 8 places, 83 matched.