Expectations for interview frequency, dates, times?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on accepting 17 interviews this year (the maximum). I'm wondering when to expect to have the interviews, as I need to also decide when to take certain MS4 courses that have particular schedule requirements.

i.e. are interviews usually held on saturdays/sundays or are they any day of the week? Are interviews all day, 1 hour, or half days? How many interviews will be in November vs. December vs. January?

I realize that this much of this information may be unknown given the COVID circumstances. Any help would greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Is 17 really a hard max? What if you're couples matching etc?

17? Seriously?
I did 12 and I thought that was too many.

If you have 17 interviews, you don't need to go on 17 interviews.

Interview days will vary from program to program. Same with the format. Historically most are all-day, or split the evening before (social dinner) and the morning of, allowing you to fly out after the interview.

You know that we can't tell you what months are going to be best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no maximum. There is a suggestion you don't go on 17. Because its madness to even do that many. But to each their own.

No one knows how the time table of interviews will roll out. This isn't a normal year. Anyone who tells you how it will is purely speculating. I can tell you how it happens in most years because of years of experience with the normal match calendar. But everything is condensed this year, and so no one knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I did 26 as an M4 (not couples matching either). Ended up matching where I did my sub-I (which I sort of knew I was going to rank #1 the whole time anyway, haha). Was still cool to see a bunch of programs, even in cities I knew there was no way on earth I was going to go to.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
I did 26 as an M4 (not couples matching either). Ended up matching where I did my sub-I (which I sort of knew I was going to rank #1 the whole time anyway, haha). Was still cool to see a bunch of programs, even in cities I knew there was no way on earth I was going to go to.

Helodoc outs as ***** again.

Also, why are student still flocking to EM? I'm actually wondering. Literally all signs point to you not having a job when you finish training.

tell us about your last few thoracotomies, we wanna hear about some great saves...

Last edited:

with their other “powerhouse” thread and this...it’s got to be a troll.

I plan on accepting 17 interviews this year (the maximum). I'm wondering when to expect to have the interviews, as I need to also decide when to take certain MS4 courses that have particular schedule requirements.

i.e. are interviews usually held on saturdays/sundays or are they any day of the week? Are interviews all day, 1 hour, or half days? How many interviews will be in November vs. December vs. January?

I realize that this much of this information may be unknown given the COVID circumstances. Any help would greatly appreciated!

I'll tell you what my cycle was like a few years ago. I have no idea what it will be like this year given the delayed ERAS timeline and virtual interviewing.

For reference, back then ERAS released applications to programs in mid-September, and then released Dean's Letters at the beginning of October.

• Most of my interview offers came much later than my classmates applying into other specialties.
  • The bulk of my interviews were in the first half of December, but I did have a number of interviews in late November and early January as well
  • All my interviews were on weekdays
  • Usually, I interviewed with 3-4 faculty members for 15-20 minutes at a time.
  • Other than the actual interviews, there were also tours, presentations, breaks, and meals that made the whole interview day take somewhere between 3 and 5 hours. Some places had separate morning and afternoon sessions, others just one session for a day.
Anyways, I have no idea how much this will translate to the current cycle, but hopefully this helps.

Good luck!

hahahah helodoc banned, sometimes the brightest stars burn the shortest.

I can't remember exactly how many interviews I did but I think was either 14 or 15, and honestly that felt like too many. They got really expensive, and I got so tired of traveling. However, that was pre-covid, I wonder now with covid if interviews are virtual people will do more? I dunno, but I honestly feel like more interviews are diminishing returns. Plus in the past I feel like (and @gamerEMdoc correct me if I'm off base) most people match at either their home program or where they rotated, and now with fewer away rotations I wonder if that will affect how many interviews people want to do (i.e. do more).

I can't remember exactly how many interviews I did but I think was either 14 or 15, and honestly that felt like too many. They got really expensive, and I got so tired of traveling. However, that was pre-covid, I wonder now with covid if interviews are virtual people will do more? I dunno, but I honestly feel like more interviews are diminishing returns. Plus in the past I feel like (and @gamerEMdoc correct me if I'm off base) most people match at either their home program or where they rotated, and now with fewer away rotations I wonder if that will affect how many interviews people want to do (i.e. do more).

How do the mods have the audacity to ban such a powerhouse resident from a powerhouse program? We would have been lucky to have him. Also, someone please help him find a job.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Many people match where they rotated or at a home program because most people have many of these programs in their top few choices. There's always bias to going to a place you know over a place you don't, when all else is considered. Statistically speaking, you're likely going to match at one of your top 1/3 places, so if your list is stacked with places you rotated at the top, of course you will be likely to match at one of those places. Plus, I'm sure programs have some bias on this end as well. If two candidates are essentially equal, you'll probably give the benefit of the doubt to the student that rotated.

Members don't see this ad :)
tell us about your last few thoracotomies, we wanna hear about some great saves...

I do too. It sucks that they banned him. He was a lot of fun.
I think the mods probably didn't go to a powerhouse residency and got jealous.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
This year is different, no one really has experience to go off of. I would try to have a flexible schedule planned for some time in November and December. You should have some control over what day you interview and be able to put most of them into the period of time you have off with others being random days you take off.

In a normal year, I would worry at 17 is too many. I don't know for this year because the barrier to going on interviews is much lower which means you're potentially competing with more people at any one given program. Seems like a set-up for more programs going unfilled and more applicants going unmatched this year.

Edit: I would plan for full day interviews.

This year is different, no one really has experience to go off of. I would try to have a flexible schedule planned for some time in November and December. You should have some control over what day you interview and be able to put most of them into the period of time you have off with others being random days you take off.

In a normal year, I would worry at 17 is too many. I don't know for this year because the barrier to going on interviews is much lower which means you're potentially competing with more people at any one given program. Seems like a set-up for more programs going unfilled and more applicants going unmatched this year.

Edit: I would plan for full day interviews.

I could be wrong, but I doubt programs will interview that many more candidates than normal. Just because they’ve already lost a month of interviews or more. So from a program standpoint, I imagine the numbers of interviewees will be the same or pretty similar to normal. Because there is no cost to go on the interviews, we very well may see students taking way more interviews than necessary or needed. Which does lead the possibility of there being more unmatched spots this year.

from a program standpoint, that means being smart in your interview selection, More so than ever. Traditionally, if you gave an interview to somebody who was really just using your program as a back up interview, they would cancel and then that interview could go to somebody else later in the interview season. I expect far less cancellations this year, because there’s just no personal downside to going on interviews since there’s no travel costs.

Which means less competitive programs, if they are being strategic about this, have to be much smarter in which candidates they offer an interview to.

Any insight to couples matching - number of programs to apply to for average EM and all-star peds?

Also, are the 3 letters of recommendation set in stone this year since only one SLOE is expected for an applicant?

Appreciate any advice.

Any insight to couples matching - number of programs to apply to for average EM and all-star peds?

Also, are the 3 letters of recommendation set in stone this year since only one SLOE is expected for an applicant?

Appreciate any advice.

You should try to have 3 lors, if not four. One should be a sloe. If you can, the others should be some variations of the alternative sloes if possible. If not, regular LORs.

Any advantage/ disadvantage to interviewing early in the season vs later? I have my first 4 places all lined up for a couple weeks from now but then after that I'm gonna be fairly busy for most of December, so future IV invites might need to be scheduled for January.. Should I do my best to miss a bunch of rotation days by scheduling them for December or is it fine to schedule as far back as January?

Any advantage/ disadvantage to interviewing early in the season vs later? I have my first 4 places all lined up for a couple weeks from now but then after that I'm gonna be fairly busy for most of December, so future IV invites might need to be scheduled for January.. Should I do my best to miss a bunch of rotation days by scheduling them for December or is it fine to schedule as far back as January?
Most/all programs use a scoring rubric to level the field, so recall bias does not occur. This question is asked year after year after year after year. If you get an interview, they want to meet you. If there was a way to game it, the gunners would game it every single year. Schedule in a way that works for you. Period.

Most/all programs use a scoring rubric to level the field, so recall bias does not occur. This question is asked year after year after year after year. If you get an interview, they want to meet you. If there was a way to game it, the gunners would game it every single year. Schedule in a way that works for you. Period.
Apologies for asking a common question. I just couldn't help but feel some reluctance to schedule so late when I have the opportunity to interview so much earlier, but that is reassuring. Thank you!

ERAS was due just last week, should I be worried if I have only received one invite? I know people in other specialties are getting a ton, but I'm hearing that EM generally comes out later (especially in certain states) and just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks

A majority of programs will start sending invitations the first week of Nov. A few have sent out initial offers, at least to rotators. Peds/psych/FM interviews started the week ERAS opened to programs, so don't worry about other specialties.

A majority of programs will start sending invitations the first week of Nov. A few have sent out initial offers, at least to rotators. Peds/psych/FM interviews started the week ERAS opened to programs, so don't worry about other specialties.

Wish i believed this. A dude in my class has 13 EM interviews already. I have 1... good stuff. This week better be a good one.

Wish i believed this. A dude in my class has 13 EM interviews already. I have 1... good stuff. This week better be a good one.
no way, what area is he applying to? and did he send out like 200 apps? i know people who sent hundreds of applications and that's why they have a decent number of interviews

No clue. Probably in the 100 range.

Several people in my class have a mid teens number. One person over 20.

Makes me feel like a complete *****. Glad I spent 4 years to match Family med in the scramble.
Not time to panic but I'd take a hard look at where you applied and then be sure you put in some applications at newer programs or places that may be less geographically desirable. It's still "early" in the process but I'd be worried you may not be casting a big enough net. If you have an advisor or faculty member you've worked with I'd have them take a look at your list of applications and at your overall application to see if there are any quirks or things that could be seen as a red flag.

Anyone start seeing an increase yet?

I’m tryingto stay cool but I am still sitting on.... 0, lol.

Nope.

I'm sure they are just all inviting the people who already have 20.

No bites yet today. So I went ahead and applied to 6 more programs.

How much money did you spend doing thing?

So basically interviewed at programs you had no interest in going to taking away interview spots from people who were legit interested in a program.
Worst type of person