when to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thn10

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new member. I took the Mcat August 2002 but did horrible on it (18P). I'm planning to take the test again in August 2003. I would like to apply this year because I'm currently a 4th year going for 5th year.

Do you recommend that I send in my primary application in June and send in the secondary asap or should I just hold the secondary until i receive my new score? my GPA is just average 3.35, and science is 3.1-3.2.

I have all the letters of recommendations from 3 professors and from a DO already. Please help, and guide me....

Thank you so much,
thn

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya thn10,
As far as I know, I think that sending in all of your application material as soon as possible is the best thing to do. I understand your concern with your first MCAT score, but they will be receiving it either way. Just make sure that you specify in the applications that you are retaking the MCAT in August. Some adcoms at different schools may wait until they receive that second MCAT in order to make any decisions. But at least the rest of your paper work will be processed. The only precaution you should take is that you are prepared for the August MCAT and go in there confident that you can raise the score. Because it is hard to find an excuse for 2 bad tests.
I found myself in a similar position last year. I took the April test and did not score much better than you. I chose not to retake it in August. I knew it was extremely risky but now I realize that the risk was worth it because I have been accepted to 2 schools. However, at that time I would have not known that and perhaps I should have retaken it.
But good luck making the decision and study hard for the MCAT!
PM me if you have any further questions!

How much have your circumstances changed between now and the last time you took the mcat? P is pretty good for the writing sample, how did the rest of your scores break down. Tell us a little about your demographics. Do you represent a URM? These are all factors on whether you will be accepted or not. For example, like it or not, it is easier to get into a school with lower scores when you represent a URM. If you are a white middle class male, you will not be given much thought. I suggest applying now and studying your a$$ off for the August MCAT. If you can get your hands on some copies of last years secondaries, then get them and fill them out now. When I took the august 2000 MCAT I didn't get my scores until November. If I'd been applying that year I'd have been screwed. Most schools have accepted a large portion of their classes by then.

I can't stress this enough, STUDY for your retake of the MCAT. It's much easier to explain away an 18 mcat when you have a retake of > 28. If you end up scoring only a bit higher, it will have a drastic affect on how the adcoms look at you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I would like to say thank you everyone for replying to my message. Also, i still have some more specific questions about when to apply since i received a very low mcat score (V5. P6, B7, P) and i'm not a UMR. I live in California, school is UCI biology major.

should i just complete my primary application and turn it in june?

how can i mention and emphasize to the schools about me taking the mcat again? should i put that on my personal statement too??

when i receive the secondary app, would you recommend that i should send it right away or wait and send it at the end of sept (along with my new MCAT score) instead?

also, what do you think of my chance of getting acceptance since my grade is not too high (overal 3.4, science 3.2).

EC:
I have been volunteer in Urgent Care for more than 4 months. Been with an Osteopathic Doctor for more than 6months. President of pre-med club, 1 year of research, experience in 1 semester of TAing.

Thank you so much for your help,
thn10

thn10

Send in your primary application as soon as possible.;)

I did not do this and probably missed out on receiving some additional interviews. Most of the schools are on rolling admissions, so, your chances are better by applying early.

If I remember correctly, I believe that the ACCOMAS application ask you about future MCAT dates.

As for your GPA, it is only one factor in the application process.

You will probably need to score better on the MCAT. It would be best to score atleast two points higher in each section to show that you do not take this test lightly.

Your volunteer experience, research and other ECs look good.

One last note: Never ask fellow SDNers about chances of getting accepted to med school ! You will become confused by the advice and maybe depressed. Only the Adcoms will be making that decision.

Best of luck :D