I'm going to have zero published research when I apply to residency, will this be an issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohmanwaddup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have plenty of extracurriculars and leadership positions. President of a club, AHEC Scholars, volunteering, experience working for an EMR company. Step of 231. I want to do Med-Peds. I'm working on a research project on factors that influence HPV vaccination, but I don't expect it to go anywhere and certainly not to be published.

I know the above extra curriculars are considered "useless" by the SDN community when compared to published research, but I figured doing them because I genuinely enjoy them was better than having nothing.

Will having zero published research be a serious impact when matching for residency? Charting outcomes would seem to indicate no for DO students, but the vast majority of matched MD applicants had research.

Members don't see this ad.

I think when applicants "had research", it's referring to they were working on something and listed it as a research experience. So technically, you have research and can list it.

If you want to play the ERAS game, try to present your findings in a school poster or a local meeting.

It's actually harder and rare to get good peer reviewed journal articles. The "pubs" in charting outcomes are usually garbage.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the specialty, but no it probably won't be an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think when applicants "had research", it's referring to they were working on something and listed it as a research experience. So technically, you have research and can list it.

If you want to play the ERAS game, try to present your findings in a school poster or a local meeting.

It's actually harder and rare to get good peer reviewed journal articles. The "pubs" in charting outcomes are usually garbage.
This is so true. I go to a research powerhouse and even the students in my school have straight up fluff on there CV’s.
I remember meeting a second year whose interested in a surgical sub with six papers. Taking a closer look, these paper weren’t really impressive at all.

It seems like the research game is more of a opportunity to build relationships and connections within a small field and not a opportunity to add significantly to the literature. Just don’t think med students are in the position to really do so.

You will be ok for Med/Ped! Not all med students get their research published by ERAS time.

Reactions: 1 user