When to apply to SGU/Ross & others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sKanKY hOe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my second time applying to medical schools and I'm not taking risks anymore. I've decided to apply to MD, DO, and a few Caribbean schools. I've already submitted my AMCAS and will soon submit AACOMAS. It seems like the Carribean schools respond a bit faster than other medical schools, based on what other people have posted. Can anyone give me some advice as to when to submit apps to SGU and Ross? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is my second time applying to medical schools and I'm not taking risks anymore. I've decided to apply to MD, DO, and a few Caribbean schools. I've already submitted my AMCAS and will soon submit AACOMAS. It seems like the Carribean schools respond a bit faster than other medical schools, based on what other people have posted. Can anyone give me some advice as to when to submit apps to SGU and Ross? Thanks.

what is your science gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should ideally apply ASAP, but 6-8 months before the semester begins is usually a good time to get it in early.

Science 3.3, MCAT 32: VR 9, BIO 12, Phys 11, Q.

McGill Grad, you said 6-8 months prior would be good. For which application did u mean? Osteopathic or Caribbean?

I was confused about St. George because they have two semester starts - in January and in August. In other people's posts, it seems like it took about 3 months from the point of app submission to acceptance. If I apply to SGU now for the Aug 08 term, would it be too early? Assuming they accept you, how long do they give you to decide?

I'm asking because I'd like to make sure there is enough time to be considered by MD schools, but also have a chance at DO or Caribbean schools as a backup.

McGill Grad, you said 6-8 months prior would be good. For which application did u mean? Osteopathic or Caribbean?

I was confused about St. George because they have two semester starts - in January and in August. In other people's posts, it seems like it took about 3 months from the point of app submission to acceptance. If I apply to SGU now for the Aug 08 term, would it be too early? Assuming they accept you, how long do they give you to decide?

I'm asking because I'd like to make sure there is enough time to be considered by MD schools, but also have a chance at DO or Caribbean schools as a backup.

It is kind of early to submit the application for August 2008. But I think it will at least be considered. Is there a reason you can't apply for the January class? Are you in a master's program or something right now, and have to finish the whole year? Seeing as how its July, I think there is still enough time for them to consider your application for January.

I was referring to the Caribbean schools. The DO schools usually let you know their timeframe on their websites.

It is not too early for Aug 08. In fact, by applying so early, you are guaranteeing yourself a seat, although they do require a swift partially non-refundable deposit once they have made their decision. With your stats, you could apply after January and probably still get in.

It sometimes takes a few months to set up the interviews, so the time per applicant varies.

If you have the extra coin, you could apply to SGU, save your seat and then see what happens with your other MD and DO applications.

Thanks everyone! I think I will do that. I guess all I'll lose is a deposit if I manage to get into a school in the states.

ross is rolling in the true sense of the word because they have 3 different points of the year in which you can begin. they responded to my application within a month and my interview was set up shortly after that time. all in all it was by far the fastest application procedure i've ever been through.