When to apply for first job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2Bee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I didn't find a similar thread in a search. I am a 3rd yr student on my last clinical affil who will be graduating in June and taking the NPTE in July. When would be an ideal time to begin applying for jobs? I have been getting emails from school advertising some jobs here and there, but it seems odd that a clinic would tender an offer when I am still at least 5 months out from actually starting. When did you all begin applying for your first jobs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am sure it depends on the location, but I didn't start sending resumes out until after I had passed the Board. I got several interviews within a week or two, and offers shortly thereafter.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent out resumes as soon as I received my temporary license.

Members don't see this ad :)
My recommendation for all students is always the same: as early as possible. You need practice even while studing.

It kind of depends on where you're applying to. I'm in your same situation. I won't be taking the boards until July, but I started putting in applications in February. I just always made sure to communicate my start date. I've gotten several job interviews and three job offers, but they were in Wyoming, Montana, and Minnesota. Employers in remote areas will sometimes give you a job offer knowing you won't be there for several months just because it can be very difficult to fill those positions. The offer I took is in a town of only 3,000 people that gets very cold and buried in snow every winter. The nearest large city is an hour's drive. Combine those two things and you have a hard-to-fill position (If you're wondering why I took it, it's because they offered me a good salary and a truly AMAZING student loan repayment benefit on top of that). If you like the idea of having one of those jobs, start looking now. If you plan to look in job markets that are more competitive where employers can pick and choose who they want, you'll want to wait until you're more appealing as a candidate.

Reactions: 2 users
a lot of my classmates had jobs prior to graduation, some several months. I applied for maybe two prior to boards, but then focused on boards as I only had three weeks to study (graduated in April and took it April 30th). Once I started applying after boards, it took me three weeks to land a job. This job was in a smaller city working in a rural community. I did not get interviews for the jobs in bigger metro areas.