Job advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtb93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if I could get some advice on the situation I'm in. I graduated PT school in May '20 after my last clinical was terminated in March '20 due to the pandemic. I was finally able to sit for and pass my Boards in November after multiple testing site shutdowns. I got licensed in Wisconsin in November and have been on the job hunt ever since. Not many positions are available available around my area; most of the openings are in SNF's. I had 2 SNF interviews and was told from both that they prefer candidates with prior SNF experience which I don't have. I interviewed for a couple OP ortho PRN positions last week and am still waiting to hear back from them.

I have been out of the clinic for almost a year now even though I've only been licensed for around 5 months. The lack of clinical experience between March '20 and now has been brought up in a few interviews but interviewers don't seem too concerned with it because of the situation we are all in, but I am starting to get extremely frustrated as I fear that I'm losing skills and knowledge gained through clinicals. I am unable to relocate for a job at this time due to health issues in the family so I'm waiting for an opportunity to open in my area.

Is anyone else in a similar situation that may be able to ease my mind a little? Any words of advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just wondering if I could get some advice on the situation I'm in. I graduated PT school in May '20 after my last clinical was terminated in March '20 due to the pandemic. I was finally able to sit for and pass my Boards in November after multiple testing site shutdowns. I got licensed in Wisconsin in November and have been on the job hunt ever since. Not many positions are available available around my area; most of the openings are in SNF's. I had 2 SNF interviews and was told from both that they prefer candidates with prior SNF experience which I don't have. I interviewed for a couple OP ortho PRN positions last week and am still waiting to hear back from them.

I have been out of the clinic for almost a year now even though I've only been licensed for around 5 months. The lack of clinical experience between March '20 and now has been brought up in a few interviews but interviewers don't seem too concerned with it because of the situation we are all in, but I am starting to get extremely frustrated as I fear that I'm losing skills and knowledge gained through clinicals. I am unable to relocate for a job at this time due to health issues in the family so I'm waiting for an opportunity to open in my area.

Is anyone else in a similar situation that may be able to ease my mind a little? Any words of advice would be appreciated!
Wow, that's a longgg waiting time for a job! Have you tried homehealth or outpatient homehealth? Homehealth-like agencies seem to respond better and half of them will accept new grads.
Make sure you apply for unemployment!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I just wanted to say you are not alone. I graduated in August 2020 and passed boards in November 2020. Ever since then, I’ve been applying to jobs all around my area in Virginia (full-time, PRN) in various settings. I loved acute and it was my last clinical where I felt the most comfortable but it’s been almost impossible to find a job in that setting. I took a PRN job at a SNF a few months ago because they were the first to offer me a job but they’ve barely needed me and it’s been extremely hard to find my groove without gaining more experience. I feel like I’m losing my skills which sucks. I think I’ve applied to ~65 to 70 jobs (basically non-stop for months which has been draining) and haven’t even heard back from a lot. I widened my range further and I’m still searching for a full-time job and have some interviews this week. I just keep telling myself it’ll get better and that this is on the pandemic. It’s not like we’re not trying. I’m in the same type of situation as you where I can’t necessarily just pick up and move. The layoffs of more experienced people in the past year have definitely affected the market. I even had a DOR I was interviewing with the other day tell me “A few years ago we would have taken a new grad and especially since you’re last clinical was in this setting that looks good, but I just don’t have the time now for a new grad and we have more experienced applicants.” I just wanted to let you know from a 2020 grad that this situation is unprecedented and I feel like people truly don’t know until they’ve experienced it themselves. Good luck; we will get through this!