When should I take the OAT?

MariaMaria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
i will be taking the oat the first week in october for the first time. i will be done with my applications in the beginning of september for 2008. is this too late? will my chances be lower for getting in or is this just the right time. my time is short otherwise i would be done with everything earlier. i need advice! thx

Members don't see this ad.

No, I think you're totally fine. From what I've read on here most people take the OAT during the fall before the year they enter OD school. I took mine earlier because I didn't want to have to study for it during school, but it sounds like you plan on getting your apps in early so I wouldn't worry! :) Good luck!

No, I think you're totally fine. From what I've read on here most people take the OAT during the fall before the year they enter OD school. I took mine earlier because I didn't want to have to study for it during school, but it sounds like you plan on getting your apps in early so I wouldn't worry! :) Good luck!

Agreed. I took mine in August so that in the event I would need a retake, I would still be done by the end of the year. Taking it in October is OK... if you retake it will be in January, which is a little late but still OK. Study hard so that you don't need to retake it!

Make sure all of your apps are in by September, so that your file is ready to go when those OAT scores are released. (I'd even recommend calling the schools to see if you can fax your scores so that you don't have to wait the 2-3 weeks it takes for them to get the scores.)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,
i will be taking the oat the first week in october for the first time. i will be done with my applications in the beginning of september for 2008. is this too late? will my chances be lower for getting in or is this just the right time. my time is short otherwise i would be done with everything earlier. i need advice! thx

Taking the OAT in October is fine. I didn't take my OAT until February, well after I turned in my application (Sept. 1), and I didn't have any problems. Just make sure you study well for it. If you take it too early, you could end up regretting it.