When should I take my first full length ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prima Donna

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So I am just under 3 weeks away from my test and have been taking some individual practice tests and been scoring okay on them (avg roughly 20). And I was wondering when I should be taking my first full length test. People generally take them in the week leading up to the exam, but I'm concerned that won't give me enough time to adjust things I need to work on for my test day. Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're using Bootcamp, the individual subject tests are the same questions shown in the full length tests (unless this has changed since last year) so I would avoid taking subject tests.

I'm using boot camp for my full lengths. I've been doing 6-10 for my individuals because I'm pretty sure that practice tests 1-5 are the questions used on the full lengths. Plan to use all 5 full lengths offered in boot camp.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using boot camp for my full lengths. I've been doing 6-10 for my individuals because I'm pretty sure that practice tests 1-5 are the questions used on the full lengths. Plan to use all 5 full lengths offered in boot camp.
sounds like a solid plan to me!

I would schedule your full lengths so that they are evenly spaced leading up to your test. You should begin them when you feel you've had adequate content review.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd probably start 2 weeks out from the test if you feel confident enough in your content review. Try to do a practice test every other day, when you run out of the Bootcamp tests take the 2007 and 2009 old DAT exams.

I'd probably start 2 weeks out from the test if you feel confident enough in your content review. Try to do a practice test every other day, when you run out of the Bootcamp tests take the 2007 and 2009 old DAT exams.

I think I am going to skip the 2007 and just do more weak point practice today, then take the 2009 tomorrow. I have heard some people say the 2007 is too easy, so I figure forgoing it to work on weak areas is time better spent. What are your thoughts on this?

I think I am going to skip the 2007 and just do more weak point practice today, then take the 2009 tomorrow. I have heard some people say the 2007 is too easy, so I figure forgoing it to work on weak areas is time better spent. What are your thoughts on this?

I never actually took either, but I think both are beneficial just to familiarize you as much as possible with the real test's structure and question style. I do hear 2007 is too easy a lot, but you wouldn't have to spend as much time reviewing it in that case, so it's still good to take.

Message me after you take the 2009 and I will be happy to discuss your scores.

Nancy

Message me after you take the 2009 and I will be happy to discuss your scores.

Nancy

Okay sounds good. I'll probably take my first in a few days. Also, do you think I could improve my scores in two weeks if I find a weak spot in a particular section such as RC. I've had some issues with this section.

Okay sounds good. I'll probably take my first in a few days. Also, do you think I could improve my scores in two weeks if I find a weak spot in a particular section such as RC. I've had some issues with this section.
Yes and I can def help with that. I have a lot of tricks up my sleeve, been doing this many many years.

haha alright good Nancy. Because I will be coming to you in about a week when I am in a panic about one of my section scores lol.

RC can definitely be improved, especially if you work on your speed and focus in the last 2 weeks.

RC can definitely be improved, especially if you work on your speed and focus in the last 2 weeks.

To be honest, my speed is fine, I just haven't found the method that works well for me. I tried reading the passage in full first and then answering questions but I cannot seem to recall the information I just read, well enough to answer detailed questions, and ended up scoring poorly on an individual bootcamp test.

Last edited:
To be honest, my speed is fine, I just haven't found the method that works well for me. I tried reading the passage in full first and then answering questions but I cannot seem to recall the information I just read, well enough to answer detailed questions, and ended up scoring poorly on an individual bootcamp test.

Have you tried mapping? This technique has worked wonders for me.

Essentially just make a numbered list, with each number representing the paragraph. Jot down the 3-5 words that summarize each paragraph best, then refer to your map when you get to the questions if you happen to forget anything specific. Then it just becomes search and destroy, but more targeted, because you've already read most (in not, all) of the material.

Also, I only use the highlight feature for transition words; things like however, although, therefore, moreover, etc... these are usually important because they show where the author is making their argument.

Have you tried mapping? This technique has worked wonders for me.

Essentially just make a numbered list, with each number representing the paragraph. Jot down the 3-5 words that summarize each paragraph best, then refer to your map when you get to the questions if you happen to forget anything specific. Then it just becomes search and destroy, but more targeted, because you've already read most (in not, all) of the material.

Also, I only use the highlight feature for transition words; things like however, although, therefore, moreover, etc... these are usually important because they show where the author is making their argument.

I have not tried it yet but plan to asap. Thanks for the tips ! Also, did you have any luck reading the first 3 paragraphs then answering as many questions as possible, then reading the next 3 paragraphs, answer questions etc. I heard this technique is also pretty good but haven't tried it yet either

I have not tried it yet but plan to asap. Thanks for the tips ! Also, did you have any luck reading the first 3 paragraphs then answering as many questions as possible, then reading the next 3 paragraphs, answer questions etc. I heard this technique is also pretty good but haven't tried it yet either

I tried it, but personally, I was not a fan. When the passage is ~15 paragraphs, I feel like only reading the first three just wastes time. It's not like you're going to have any better of an idea of where to look in the other paragraphs than if you had just done search and destroy from the get go. Everyone has different things that work for them though, so just do a bunch of techniques and see which you're most comfortable with!

Best of luck :)