When random people ask u your MCAT and gpa ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndi_amaka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always feel really really awkward when people ask me my numbers. I feel like it's gonna make people look at me differently...so what do you say when someone like friends or classmates (people you are cool with but not extremely close) ask you??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't care. I usually tell them. My numbers are fine, but even if they weren't, I would probably tell them. I don't believe that my worth is measured by grades on a page or some numbers from an exam. There is too much to me to be reduce down to a GPA and an MCAT score. I'm much bigger than that and I don't mean around the belly. I'm sure you are too. But if you are not comfortable with telling people then don't.

The only time I don't tell people is when I suspect that I might have done quite a bit better than them. I don't want to come off as arrogant or mean. I always try to be encouraging.

Let me rephrase this: how do you politely refuse without coming across as an ass??

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try saying, "I was pretty happy with how I did." Or "why?"

Originally posted by MaineDocToBe
I don't care. I usually tell them. My numbers are fine, but even if they weren't, I would probably tell them. I don't believe that my worth is measured by grades on a page or some numbers from an exam. There is too much to me to be reduce down to a GPA and an MCAT score. I'm much bigger than that and I don't mean around the belly. I'm sure you are too. But if you are not comfortable with telling people then don't.

The only time I don't tell people is when I suspect that I might have done quite a bit better than them. I don't want to come off as arrogant or mean. I always try to be encouraging.

I agree with u on the part about being more than just numbers and letter grades...but unfortunately alot of people can't look past that. Either they will wonder why I got interviews and they didn't when their numbers are higher than mine or they'll think I'm arrogant if my numbers are higher than theirs...

Or...for example, I was explaining to my overzealous premed cousin who will be starting college next fall ....I was explaining to her how the med school process worked and she kept begging to know my numbers.. I don't want her going to college thinking this is the score she has to get in order to get into med school...I dont want her using me as her compass to set her academic standards to. It may sound dumb but she sort of looks up to me and wants to do everything I do...including going to the same college.

Originally posted by Cerberus
I usually say "I did pretty good"

Which leads into the follow up: "how good?"

The more evasive I am the more persistent and annoyed they get.

I want a more subtle way of saying, "I don't share my numbers with other people"

Originally posted by ndi_amaka
I always feel really really awkward when people ask me my numbers. I feel like it's gonna make people look at me differently...so what do you say when someone like friends or classmates (people you are cool with but not extremely close) ask you??

I usually say I did "alright." If they press, I just say that "I did pretty well but could have done better." I mean I did well, but I didn't do phenomenal by any means so it's the truth. People draw their own conclusions about my intelegence anyway. I just tell people how I feel I did without revealing my numbers, I think that'd just be bragging unless you are friends with the person and they are taking the MCAT as well. I mean I may as well just get 41T tatooed on my forehead!! :D

j/k 'bout the 41T:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2 options...

1. slap them and then attribute that to an psychological/muscular reaction you have when people use the words what, gpa and mcat in close proximity....

or

2. say "they're ookaaayyy....not that great....and you?" direct the question back at them because im sure if they asked you then they prolly want to talk about their own grades and scores....

I think its silly to not tell people that ask.

I think its silly to tell people you go to school in boston when they ask "What school do you go to?" and you go to harvard.

Why not face up to you successes and failures? there is no reason to get too private ebout either.

I have an imressive MCAT which i will share and a below average GPA which i have been sharing long before my MCAT redeemed me. I get annoyed with evasive people. Unless you can simply tell the person is douche who is trying to play conetitive mind games with you, tell them. Most likely they have no ill intent. I know i never have when i have asked others their scores.

Originally posted by hightrump
I think its silly to not tell people that ask.

I think its silly to tell people you go to school in boston when they ask "What school do you go to?" and you go to harvard.

Why not face up to you successes and failures? there is no reason to get too private ebout either.

I have an imressive MCAT which i will share and a below average GPA which i have been sharing long before my MCAT redeemed me. I get annoyed with evasive people. Unless you can simply tell the person is douche who is trying to play conetitive mind games with you, tell them. Most likely they have no ill intent. I know i never have when i have asked others their scores.

You may deem it silly...but I consider my scores a private matter. Most people have no ill intent to sabotage me but creating an air of competitiveness is something I have managed to avoid in the past. I don't want people thinking I don't measure up or that i am now someone they should compete with..especially when they are really good study partners that i depend on.

I just tell people, " I did well enough to get in and to get some interviews... I'm not too worried." That's generally enough.

I have to agree with the privacy issue on numbers. I know we all need to own up to successes and failures but we don't need to share them with the world if they ask. Sharing is not a part of owning up to anything in my book.

I don;t like telling my numbers, either (at least for now). Personally, I don;t want to be discouraged or judged by other people. I think that there is so much more to me that the numbers. I usually say OK, or not exactly as I hoped but I guess that would be good enough. I have been trerrified that someone will ask me what that means, but it has not happened yet. People usually know when you do not want to share...

Once I am in, I think that I will be more open to the idea of sharing. My story will be probably encouragement to others, well lets hope at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely. Usually, when you say "Oh, I did ok" (or some variation of that), and you give the person a look saying that you'd rather not go into it, most people get the idea and don't keep asking. If they do, I don't have a problem with saying "I don't usually talk about that stuff." You don't have to feel obligated to answer just because someone asks.

You may deem it silly...but I consider my scores a private matter. Most people have no ill intent to sabotage me but creating an air of competitiveness is something I have managed to avoid in the past. I don't want people thinking I don't measure up or that i am now someone they should compete with..especially when they are really good study partners that i depend on.

In response to this and other related posts:

I find it anoying when people refuse to tell you what they got after you, for example, studied with them for the MCAT for 10 weeks... This guy wouldn't even tell his girlfriend of over a year. I'm sure he didn't bomb it, but he wouldn't even say if he did well, or poorly, he just said, "I'm not telling!"

Most of you probably don't go to this extreme, but why keep secrets about test scores, are you that concerned? If you ask a friend and fellow pre-med well not to spread the word, they won't so that shouldn't be an issue. I think an air of secrecy is more detrimental that an air of competitiveness. Sabatoge?! It makes some of us think that you're are a "gunner" yourself. I mean comon, we're all in this together.

However, I can accept not telling a group of really drunk "yocals" at a shady bar that "I'm going to be a doctor! I did so well on the MCAT!" unless you want to be their source of jokes for the evening. Gotta sniff out the people who are asking, however, other people can be more than meets the eye just as we are all more that our MCAT scores.

In Indian communities, word spreads like wild-fire about two things: who's had sex and MCAT scores. I am Indian and I choose not to tell my best friend my score because sometimes scores just slip out (especially when people are drunk) and before I know it, random people I don't even know that well will know my score. Within many Indian communities, people definitely judge you based on your scores and then they get super-competitive. I'd rather not create that kind of negative energy for myself and for others. Thus, when people ask me how I did on the MCAT, I simply say, "I am happy with my score." If they ask me what exact score I received (which has been very very rare), I give a sincere, honest smile and response: "I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable sharing my score." People have responded pretty respectfully to that answer, so I just use that response if the situation arises.

Originally posted by DrBodacious
In response to this and other related posts:

I find it anoying when people refuse to tell you what they got after you, for example, studied with them for the MCAT for 10 weeks... This guy wouldn't even tell his girlfriend of over a year. I'm sure he didn't bomb it, but he wouldn't even say if he did well, or poorly, he just said, "I'm not telling!"

Most of you probably don't go to this extreme, but why keep secrets about test scores, are you that concerned? If you ask a friend and fellow pre-med well not to spread the word, they won't so that shouldn't be an issue. I think an air of secrecy is more detrimental that an air of competitiveness. Sabatoge?! It makes some of us think that you're are a "gunner" yourself. I mean comon, we're all in this together.

However, I can accept not telling a group of really drunk "yocals" at a shady bar that "I'm going to be a doctor! I did so well on the MCAT!" unless you want to be their source of jokes for the evening. Gotta sniff out the people who are asking, however, other people can be more than meets the eye just as we are all more that our MCAT scores.

Mmm...some clarification is in order. For me, I'd have no trouble telling my MCAT study partner (and I'd definitely have been annoyed with her had she not told me). I'd also have no trouble talking about it with others in the same situation, or whatever. If there's a reason to tell, I don't have a problem with it. I'm not into the whole gunner thing...people get into med school based on their own merits, i.e., if you're good, you'll get in, and you don't try to sabotage others. I just don't like going into it with random people, similar to what was mentioned in the last paragraph of the quote above.

Originally posted by donuthole
In the Indian community, word spreads like wild-fire about two things: who's had sex and MCAT scores. I am Indian and I choose not to tell my best friend my score because sometimes scores just slip out (especially when people are drunk) and before I know it, random people I don't even know that well will know my score (all Indian people). In my community, people definitely judge you based on your scores and then they get super-competitive. I'd rather not create that kind of negative energy for myself and for others. Thus, when people ask me, I simply say, "I am happy with my score." If they ask me what exact score I received (which has been very very rare), I give a sincere, honest smile and response: "I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable sharing my score." People have responded pretty respectfully to that answer, so I just use that response if the situation arises.

Hope that helps.

this is funny because its true in korean communities as well....hahaha
sex and mcats...

:laugh:

Originally posted by snapdad
Mmm...some clarification is in order. For me, I'd have no trouble telling my MCAT study partner (and I'd definitely have been annoyed with her had she not told me). I'd also have no trouble talking about it with others in the same situation, or whatever. If there's a reason to tell, I don't have a problem with it. I'm not into the whole gunner thing...people get into med school based on their own merits, i.e., if you're good, you'll get in, and you don't try to sabotage others. I just don't like going into it with random people, similar to what was mentioned in the last paragraph of the quote above.

yeah i can tell people close to me...thats no problem...
however...random people that just come up to you and flaunt their scores and then ask for yours??? sorry....this happened to me at an interview and i didnt appreciate this much.

No, if someone walks up to me and asks for my MCAT and GPA hoping to brag about theirs, I just say 3.94 and 40R. Not common but not completely unrealistic. That should break burst their bubble.

While I would never volunteer my scores, I would probably tell anyone who directly asked me.

Which leads into the follow up: "how good?"

The more evasive I am the more persistent and annoyed they get.

I want a more subtle way of saying, "I don't share my numbers with other people"

I usually say "I didn't do as well as I'd like but I did well enough".

If you have people in your life that exert pressure on you and then get annoyed at your decisions - I would lose those people. Do you really want that in your life? They sound very petty to me.

I was actually at a checkup at my university medical center and the doctor started out by asking me about my medical problem. He then proceeded to ask me what I was studying, and based on that, whether I took the MCAT. I said yes and when he asked how I did I said "Im content with my score." But he wouldnt leave it at that. He asked again and I said "Im pretty happy with it." He rephrased and asked one more time, and then I didnt want to be an arse, so I told him.

At some local restaurants, some waitresses, once they see me or my friends in our college gear, will ask us our SAT scores. I usually just say I am on basketball scholarship and they leave me be. But yeah, everyone should try to have 1 or 2 "quick outs" to this question, though people who really want to know (the case in the 1st paragraph) will find out, and in that case, no one is worse off.

I always feel really really awkward when people ask me my numbers. I feel like it's gonna make people look at me differently

Bottom line is that if you're a URM, you discuss your numbers and they happen to be quite good, you're either: 1) Lying or 2) Not considered to be a "normal" URM applicant. On the other hand, URM's and NonUrm's with number's below the national average, are made out to be idiots.

I personally don't think it's anyones's business what your numbers are and I won't discuss either in person or on-line again, anything academic with people who have no say what-so-ever in my fututre academic goals. The only person you have anything to prove to is yourself and the adcoms, so if you happen to get in with whatever stats you happen to have, then that's all that matters in end!

I just think its odd that the people who cry "scores dont matter"
are the ones most secretive about them. If they dont matter, then whats the problem.

I have held back my score from someone who asked. But they only asked once and they were a parent of someone who didnt get in because of a bad MCAT score. I was just trying to help them out.

and to pathdr2b, yeah if i were you, and urm with a bad score..id keep my mouth shut too.

Originally posted by hightrump
and to pathdr2b, yeah if i were you, and urm with a bad score..id keep my mouth shut too.

So if I had a bad MCAT and wanted to share it, I could only do that if I were a NonUrm? I think you've been inhaling too many of the fumes from the back of your pick-up.laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by pathdr2b
So if I had a bad MCAT and wanted to share it, I could only do that if I were a NonUrm? I think you've been inhaling too many of the fumes from the back of your pick-up.laugh: :laugh:

hehe, thats the first joke of your ive liked.

as for the nonurm thing. yeah i think if a nonurm told people they had a bad mcat score they people they told would assume assume that GPA got the person in. If an URM has a bad MCAT people will be more likely to veiw it as another case of AA in action. Dont argue this point. Bottom line is that AA lets many URMs with subpar scores in. Not all URMs in school are AA benificiaries obviously, but NO nonurms are. So it is a more reasonable guess of an URN that a nonurm. However as much as AA bothers me, its not even in the same leauge as white kids who get in because of their parents knowing someone. If a nonurm with a low gpa and MCAT tells me his dad knows the dean, ill freak out. If an URM says they got in on AA ill think less of them academicaly but not moraly. Legacies can suck it, though.
Not trying to be inflamatory here. But thats the way I see it.

And i will never ever own a truck.

Originally posted by Gleevec
I was actually at a checkup at my university medical center and the doctor started out by asking me about my medical problem. He then proceeded to ask me what I was studying, and based on that, whether I took the MCAT. I said yes and when he asked how I did I said "Im content with my score." But he wouldnt leave it at that. He asked again and I said "Im pretty happy with it." He rephrased and asked one more time, and then I didnt want to be an arse, so I told him.

At some local restaurants, some waitresses, once they see me or my friends in our college gear, will ask us our SAT scores. I usually just say I am on basketball scholarship and they leave me be. But yeah, everyone should try to have 1 or 2 "quick outs" to this question, though people who really want to know (the case in the 1st paragraph) will find out, and in that case, no one is worse off.

yeah my dentist asked me what i got...i told him...he said that was way better than he did...so he went to dental school...but he's really happy with how things turned out for him...i thought it was refreshingly honest....and BTW, my MCAT is not spectacular, FYI

I say good enough to get into a good school! Then I say why do you ask, are you going to make a judgement of me based on irrelevant numbers

This only happened to me at interviews and my approach was simple. I told them that I did really poorly (24, 3.2) but that it was ok because I had some connections. This was quite satisfying.

I have had a standing policy all through my undergrad years. I simply have said... "I'm sorry but I never give out my gpa, MCAT or test grades." People have always repected that and have usually only asked once. Students were always trying to figure out my stats because I was head of our pre-med club and for some reason that made students always ask me.

If you never give out your grades, test scores, stats, ect... they will ususally never ask.

For the most part i really dont care if people know my grades. In fact failing math exams has been a bonding experience of sorts between me and my classmates:laugh:

For the most part i really dont care if people know my grades. In fact failing math exams has been a bonding experience of sorts between me and my classmates:laugh:

haha this feeling i know! its fun to bond with fellow failing students. it always makes the dread of attending a class or taking a test a bit more stressless...:)

I think order of magnitude aproximations are the key. MCAT: on the order of 10-100; GPA: on the order of 1-10. Hehe, I love hanging out with physicists.:laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by ewing
I think order of magnitude aproximations are the key. MCAT: on the order of 10-100; GPA: on the order of 1-10. Hehe, I love hanging out with physicists.:laugh: :laugh:

Or tell them your GPA is about pi, and your MCAT is about 10pi...tell them it cancels, esp. when they plug in pi * 10^7.

Or tell them your GPA is about pi, and your MCAT is about 10pi...tell them it cancels, esp. when they plug in pi * 10^7.

hehe...

I'm an engineering student and never knew there were ~pi*10^7 seconds in a year until I took a freshman biology course taught by a prof with a PhD in physics!

Is this standard knowledge among bio majors or what?!? :)

Originally posted by bosco
hehe...

I'm an engineering student and never knew there were ~pi*10^7 seconds in a year until I took a freshman biology course taught by a prof with a PhD in physics!

there is a .38% error

Originally posted by Amy B
I have had a standing policy all through my undergrad years. I simply have said... "I'm sorry but I never give out my gpa, MCAT or test grades." People have always repected that and have usually only asked once. Students were always trying to figure out my stats because I was head of our pre-med club and for some reason that made students always ask me.

If you never give out your grades, test scores, stats, ect... they will ususally never ask.

That seems a bit too formal a way to dismiss such a question. I think humor is a better way to go, but that's just my personality I guess.

Originally posted by bosco
hehe...

I dunno...it's just one of those order of magnitude physics things that you use in back-of-the-envelope calculations (like my famous "80% of peeps with a 35 get into med school": http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89536).

Once I was using pi*10^7 in a calculation, and this girl was like, "wait...where did you get the pi from? everything is linear?!" And I'm like, "it's the number of seconds in a year." Which confuses her...so I explain to her that a year is cyclical, because the earth's orbit around the sun can be approximated by a circle, so "you'll go through pi*10^7 seconds the whole year 'round" :laugh: :laugh:

there is a .38% error

hehe...

Actually it's more if you use a better estimate for the number of days in a year (e.g. 365.25 instead of just 365).

But, 1% error for homework problems is acceptable, and for heat transfer upwards of 30% is expected in some cases. :) One bio prof said an order of magnitude was acceptable for rough estimates.

I have a slightly different question: what do you say when random people ask for your phone number?

I have all kinds of useful responses:

Q:Can I get your digits?
A:No, I need them to do rectal exams.

Q:I got Avagadro's number, can I get yours?
A: Dammit, we're lab partners, not sex partners.

Q:Can I call you sometime?
A: Sure, I got caller ID.

Q: Can I get your number?

A: Yeah, sure, it's 310-495-5412

The official rejection number for those uncomfortable late night beer goggle encounters...

Med schools should have one just like it.

And there are others, depending on your city. Really. give it a try!

Originally posted by Brickhouse
Q: Can I get your number?

A: Yeah, sure, it's 310-495-5412

The official rejection number for those uncomfortable late night beer goggle encounters...

Med schools should have one just like it.

And there are others, depending on your city. Really. give it a try!

I did, it's brilliant!! Brickhouse, you're a goddess! SDN rules! Perfect for hot pre-meds like me... :p

They will even make a personalized number for you... http://www.gotrejected.com/

I did, it's brilliant!! Brickhouse, you're a goddess! SDN rules! Perfect for hot pre-meds like me... :p

They will even make a personalized number for you... http://www.gotrejected.com/

LOL! Is that too much? One time I gave that number to a guy at a bar and he goes "Hey, isn't that the rejection line!?" No kidding!!! Poor guy!

If both of you know that number by heart: him as a recipient, you as a donor...perhaps he's outta your league? Just a thought...