When is your GPA calculated for Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milkchocolate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying for residencies, at what point in your pharmacy school career is your GPA calculated and sent out to the schools? Is it up till the Fall semester of the year that you graduate?

I understand that the rotations you do are looked at by the residency programs. But at what point do they start to calculate your gradues? Do some programs look at your GPA from your 1st three years of lecture and not consider the grades you earn on rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

You apply to residencies in Nov / Dec of your P4 year so they'll look at whatever grades / gpa you have up to that point. You just send your official transcripts so its whatever is calculated up to that point based on your school. Usually this would include P1-P3. It may include any completed rotation grades up to that point (maybe someone with this system can chime in).

My school had honors/pass/fail for rotations so my gpa was already determined based on the 3yrs, and I had completed 4 rotations up to the end of november so my grades (Honors, Satisfactory or Fail) for those rotations were also listed (it does not get calculated into my gpa).

I would imagine residencies would look at your current gpa that is listed on your transcript that is sent to them whether it is just P1-P3 or P1-rotations included. One of the programs I applied to looked at specifically pre-rotation GPA to put everyone on equal playing field.

Hope that answers your questions!

Depends on the application deadline. Some of the transcripts I sent in just had P1-P3 plus summer rotations. Some had fall rotations included as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should be P1-P3. If your school "grades" you on rotations (ie not P/F), those grades probably don't count (and they shouldn't, that's like 200+ different professors in any given block and could be too subjective...LOR's are more instructive).

With the new system in place next year, I don't know GPA will be calculated, but they should include P1-P3 + summer & fall rotations assuming you send transcripts in December.

Some places that I applied to looked at your grades in general (up through fall semester rotations) since you usually request your transcript after that time. For some sites, you only "passed" to the interview round if you had a gpa above a certain cutoff in pharmaceutics courses. I suppose it all depends on the program, so inquire about this at Midyear with the programs themselves.

Hmmm. Thats good to know. Yeah my school gives out a grade for every rotation after your third year (we have a total of 9 we need to complete 4th year) but I'll have to find out when those grades are tallied up.