When is it (or is it ever) a good idea to follow up on the status of secondary applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bakr89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a common thread. I have seen discussions about follow-ups to interviews but never secondary applications...

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean in regards to if your application is complete and in for review? Or have you already received that email and just want to know what the status is?If you know you're complete then I would say just wait it out a bit longer. If you mean in regards to being complete/in-review .. well then I'm thinking the same thing lol. I applied half MD and half DO .. seems like the MD programs all sent me a response right away that my application was complete and under review. I haven't gotten this from all the DO programs and I'm getting concerned. I have emailed a few to make sure that my app is complete, and received updates regarding a missing letter. So it's definitely okay/good to check if that's the case

Do you mean in regards to if your application is complete and in for review? Or have you already received that email and just want to know what the status is?If you know you're complete then I would say just wait it out a bit longer. If you mean in regards to being complete/in-review .. well then I'm thinking the same thing lol. I applied half MD and half DO .. seems like the MD programs all sent me a response right away that my application was complete and under review. I haven't gotten this from all the DO programs and I'm getting concerned. I have emailed a few to make sure that my app is complete, and received updates regarding a missing letter. So it's definitely okay/good to check if that's the case
I meant more along the lines of whether or not the school had a chance to review the application or not. I know a lot of schools make decisions on their applicants but end up updating them later on...maybe it was just me being neurotic and antsy lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant more along the lines of whether or not the school had a chance to review the application or not. I know a lot of schools make decisions on their applicants but end up updating them later on...maybe it was just me being neurotic and antsy lol...

I received a call from a certain DO school in FL that my application was complete in July and up for review. I hadn't heard anything by end of August so emailed and mid October they informed me that my MCAT (taken in July) wasn't on file. Every other DO school had received it and I had gotten interviews already and even acceptances, so someone on their end dropped the ball. No big deal because I'm very happy with the way it worked out, but still it was sort of annoying that things got screwed up by probably someone the equivalent of a student worker.

So the way I see it, it can't hurt to follow up because some schools are not known for their organizational skills.

I received a call from a certain DO school in FL that my application was complete in July and up for review. I hadn't heard anything by end of August so emailed and mid October they informed me that my MCAT (taken in July) wasn't on file. Every other DO school had received it and I had gotten interviews already and even acceptances, so someone on their end dropped the ball. No big deal because I'm very happy with the way it worked out, but still it was sort of annoying that things got screwed up by probably someone the equivalent of a student worker.

So the way I see it, it can't hurt to follow up because some schools are not known for their organizational skills.
That makes sense. Thanks for the advice! I think I did that for most of my schools but I will look over my list of schools again and just make sure. Congrats on your acceptances!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The only time I've followed up with a school was when I thought something went haywire with my app (one school's secondary got lost in space somewhere and I never received it, and then I got an email from that same school after I submitted the secondary, and they were asking me where my secondary was).

Otherwise I wouldn't bug them.