When is an application late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herbiehancock12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do you all think is the latest we should apply through ERAS? I know my dean's letter won't be out for a while. I am waiting on a paper that hopefully will be submitted soon and will look really good on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

When do you all think is the latest we should apply through ERAS? I know my dean's letter won't be out for a while. I am waiting on a paper that hopefully will be submitted soon and will look really good on my application.

I would have your submission complete by the time the dean's letter comes out. Many programs won't look at applications until then.

I would have your submission complete by the time the dean's letter comes out. Many programs won't look at applications until then.

I am still waiting on my 3rd LOR, and am feeling a bit nervous. The Dr. assured me that she would write it. She is actually a PD in another specialty, so she should be well aware of time frames, and deadlines in this whole process. I, on the other hand, have never done this before and am a bit unclear as to when the letter needs to be in so I don't "miss the boat" on my application being complete for programs that I have applied to already through ERAS. Some of the program's websites say that application deadlines are as early as Oct 15th. Are these deadlines strictly adheared? Would a program that is interested in me, email me for a status on my 3rd lette if it is still missing? Perhaps I am just being an alarmist and the PD knows better than me, as to how long she has to submit my LOR, so I don't want to keep bugging her. Can someone please advise me since I am a Rookie in this process. Thanks lots!

Members don't see this ad :)
People in other specialties already have interviews without all their letters or dean's letter, transcript. So I assume that isn't going to matter much if you have already submitted ERAS.

You can submit an incomplete application. Most programs download new documents on an almost daily basis and add any additional documents to your file. This also gives you an excuse to call the program director to be sure your application is complete at programs you are very interested in ;)

You can submit an incomplete application. Most programs download new documents on an almost daily basis and add any additional documents to your file. This also gives you an excuse to call the program director to be sure your application is complete at programs you are very interested in ;)

Right, but what if you are trying to finish up a research project and have it submitted for publication?
Wouldn't it be wise to try to finish it up by mid-October so you can put it on your CV?

Right, but what if you are trying to finish up a research project and have it submitted for publication?
Wouldn't it be wise to try to finish it up by mid-October so you can put it on your CV?

See ND's post. You can update your application and programs download very frequently since it is automated.

I submitted my application the first day ERAS opened and updated it several times until the MPSE came out in Nov.

See ND's post. You can update your application and programs download very frequently since it is automated.

I submitted my application the first day ERAS opened and updated it several times until the MPSE came out in Nov.

You can update your documents (i.e. personal statement) but not your CV. I have heard that from multiple people.

You can update your documents (i.e. personal statement) but not your CV. I have heard that from multiple people.

This is true, but on your CAF you can write that your publication is submitted or in progress. Once it is accepted (in press) you can send email updates to programs manually. As ND said, this is a nice way to remind programs you are taking a personal interest in them.

This is true, but on your CAF you can write that your publication is submitted or in progress. Once it is accepted (in press) you can send email updates to programs manually. As ND said, this is a nice way to remind programs you are taking a personal interest in them.
The CAF only has 4 options - submitted, provisionally accepted, accepted, and in press. You can't put in progress. I could put submitted but it may not be for a while...

The CAF only has 4 options - submitted, provisionally accepted, accepted, and in press. You can't put in progress. I could put submitted but it may not be for a while...

I had the same problem--papers in progress but not submitted at the time I did my ERAS. Since I didn't think I could count them as submitted/accepted/in press, I just discussed them as "in progress papers" in my personal statement (briefly) and in the CAF research section (in-depth, while describing the related research experience).
Since completing my ERAS, I have submitted one paper to a journal, so I asked my dean to include this fact and the name of the journal in the dean's letter. If it is accepted, I will update programs by email, like Gfunk suggests.
Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but good luck!