When Does Residency Start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fj25

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mid-June, July is not specific enough for me. Does anyone have more info?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your residency program. Some only have a few days of orientation and start July 1st, others have several weeks of orientation and start July 1st, and some start working before July 1st. There's no universal standard for every residency program in the country.

Mid-June, July is not specific enough for me. Does anyone have more info?

Thanks!

Then I suggest you contact the programs you are ranking, because unless you want the specific start for every single residency in the US, that's all you're getting.

You will start on or before July 1.

Then I suggest you contact the programs you are ranking, because unless you want the specific start for every single residency in the US, that's all you're getting.

You will start on or before July 1.

lol...

Here is a question for some of you R-2s. If you start earlier (say 20 June) for orientation, do you get paid for those days or does your first paycheck start from the 1st of July?

Thanks!

You get paid every day you show up to work. When orientation starts (and then add 2 weeks because of paycheck time) is day 1.

You get paid every day you show up to work. When orientation starts (and then add 2 weeks because of paycheck time) is day 1.

This is not true for every program. The orientation in my program was totally free.

Not necessarily. We had to show up nearly 2 weeks early for hospital and department orientation, ATLS, ACLS, etc. as well as rounding with the team on June 30th. We did not get paid and given earlier discussions on this board, I know I wasn't the only one in this situation.

Now, if you are showing up every day, and actually working (as some programs want you to start working early to replace outgoing residents) rather than attending orientation, they have to pay you. I do not believe programs have to pay you for orientation or taking required courses.

I didn't get paid for our two-week orientation.

I believe that any required orientation has to be paid. Optional orientation (i.e. voluntary) would not need to be paid. Most GME orientations would fall into the first category. Good luck enforcing this at any program that doesn't pay for orientation, but you would be on very good legal ground to contest it. Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

I believe that any required orientation has to be paid. Optional orientation (i.e. voluntary) would not need to be paid. Most GME orientations would fall into the first category. Good luck enforcing this at any program that doesn't pay for orientation, but you would be on very good legal ground to contest it. Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

Good point - like so many things, enforcement is the problem. I was suprised when I was paid for my fellowship orientation because I'd never heard of anyone being paid for residency orientation, at least not in surgery.

We were paid for our orientation in surgery, which started June 17.

Not always.

Internship for Peds begins on June 23rd each year regardless of the day of the week. Yes - this year it is a Saturday - so if you start with clinic you are off the hook for the weekend. Our program has a FULL week of unpaid, mandatory orientation because residents rotate to three different hospitals all with different computer systems etc. There is a movement to get some of the time paid for, which should help. In addition, there is about a week of work to do in advance such as paperwork, on-line modules etc. During your first week there will be things such as fingerprinting, getting badged, facility orientation, health screening and some fun stuff too.

Keep a copy of EVERYTHING and don't forget now is the time to consult a tax professional.

Best of Luck.