When do you take Step II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md mayhem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had many people recommend not to take step II before interview season, especially with a good step I. But when is the right time to take it then? I don't thinking waiting until February is the best idea.. what have you all done? And how many RadOnc programs really care about the score before the rank lists are made?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had many people recommend not to take step II before interview season, especially with a good step I. But when is the right time to take it then? I don't thinking waiting until February is the best idea.. what have you all done? And how many RadOnc programs really care about the score before the rank lists are made?

I have it scheduled for March, the topic never came up in a single interview (Rad Onc or Prelim).

Members don't see this ad :)
wow... so it is possible. haha. unfortunately my school has slapped us with a deadline to have it done by Nov 30th. They argue it is very important to have done early, but I think they are generalizing.

I'm looking to take it as late in Nov as I can.

I have it scheduled for March, the topic never came up in a single interview (Rad Onc or Prelim).

Unfortunately, the policy of our school dictates that Step II must be taken no later then October 15 of our 4th year. And so I've decided to take it at the end of August, and selecting that the scores not be automatically released. I am hoping that the grade will be released after my ERAS application is submitted in early September. This way, only if the score is good will I send it out to programs. Does this sound like a good plan given my circumstance?

My school requires that we take step 2 CK by Dec 31 of our 4th year. Has anyone else had any experienced of a rad onc program asking about your step 2 scores?

I don't think it's important to take Step II early if your Step I score is strong. You almost certainly will not get asked about it if you choose to take it after your applications are due.

Taking it early, however, can help should you score much higher than Step I.

My school requires that we take step 2 CK by Dec 31 of our 4th year. Has anyone else had any experienced of a rad onc program asking about your step 2 scores?

Step II never came up in a rad onc interview.

Schools just want to graduate students who have passed Step II, so they give us time to fail and retake the exam....really no other purpose to mandate taking these exams so early.

It has been said on this post that you should not take Step II early if your Step I is strong. But where does STRONG begin??? I will go out on a limb and say that if your Step I is >230, that you are OK. The median Step I for rad onc previously was only 237. Of course, a Step I of 230 needs to be balanced with stronger clinical grades, research, publications, or some combination of the above.

It seems that step II scores would be most important for those that have a marginal score on step I. Otherwise, it's unlikely to be much of a factor (unless you tank step II after getting a stellar step I score, which would raise a red flag).

Yeah I agree that "strong" Step I scores are at least 230s. I had a 230 and felt like I needed to get a great Step II score in for PDs to see, and luckily went up by almost 20 points. This was mentioned on interviews multiple times, so I think that really helped me match.

Hello,

I really want to take step II right after my year III finishes (june) so that I can get it out of the way and have year III material fresh in my head. However... I am worried that I could go down in my score.

Step 1: 241

I was doing well on USMLE world all throughout my studying.. however when I took step I, I almost felt like I failed it (actually I was worried I did). I guess my paranoia wonders if it was some kind of a fluke that I did that well on step I and I guess I am somewhat scared that maybe Step II won't be so lucky.

I wanted to ask any of you if you didn't so well on step II as step I if it came up in interviews....

Hello,

I really want to take step II right after my year III finishes (june) so that I can get it out of the way and have year III material fresh in my head. However... I am worried that I could go down in my score.

Step 1: 241

I was doing well on USMLE world all throughout my studying.. however when I took step I, I almost felt like I failed it (actually I was worried I did). I guess my paranoia wonders if it was some kind of a fluke that I did that well on step I and I guess I am somewhat scared that maybe Step II won't be so lucky.

I wanted to ask any of you if you didn't so well on step II as step I if it came up in interviews....

My step II was 12 points lower than my step I (which was OK but not as good as yours). It did not come up during interviews (although this was a few years back).

My school also has a Nov 30th deadline. I took the test mid-Oct after completing away rotations and got my score 3-4 wks later. I had checked the box on the application that would release my score only when I indicated. I did better than step 1, released my score and got a few good comments at interviews. Its nice to get it done early.

I would say if you have a Dec 31 deadline during 4th year...try to get Step II CK done before December. December and January are busy months...lots of interviewing for prelims/rad onc programs. Also...it's cold season and getting sick can ruin a week...it's just not the best time to have step II pressure...trust me, I know from experience. I thought I would be able to study between interviews, on the plane, etc...it's not easy.