How much do you charge when you have to talk to attorneys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesauce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a run of disability cases that I have had to give opinions for. How much do you charge the company you’re giving the deposition for?

Members don't see this ad.

$600/hour or fraction for medical record review
$800/hour or fraction for deposition and preparation
$1000/hour or fraction for court appearance expert testimony

More than 30 cases in 20 years I have never had anyone push back on these rates (about 15% less at the beginning; inflation you know). That fact suggest I may be underbilling :)

I work both sides...

Reactions: 2 users
As an internist I charged $750/hr on a whim because a colleague mentioned that number. The lawyer did not blink an eye and quickly agreed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Man I should look into this... Two "hours" is basically a full day locums gig :unsure:

Maybe this could be one of those "alternative" careers talked about in a recent IJROBP article...

Reactions: 1 users
Man I should look into this... Two "hours" is basically a full day locums gig :unsure:

Maybe this could be one of those "alternative" careers talked about in a recent IJROBP article...

If you do too many expert witness cases the defendants attorney will accuse you of being a shill in front of the jury.

If you do too many expert witness cases the defendants attorney will accuse you of being a shill in front of the jury.
That's why you work both sides. Also most states require that you are "currently in practice" to be an expert witness.

I don’t care how much they pay, the courtroom is the last place I ever want to be!

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t care how much they pay, the courtroom is the last place I ever want to be!
Agreed. In my experience most cases don't go to court. Most settle one way or the other. I have been deposed 6 times and went to court once.

So far, only been deposed once. Never had to go to court. Was in the conference room of the hospital with the cutest little attorney grilling me. Cute as a button I kept smiling even at all the dumb questions she was throwing at me. We thought it was her first time too, I had to ask for clarification on about every sentence she was asking and getting all flustered.