When do you panic and apply to additional residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardsean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year family medicine resident, looking to apply for a second (psychiatry) residency after completing FM. I am applying in this year's ERAS/Match cycle and have submitted to 50+ programs in the northeast.

Haven't heard from any programs yet.

At what point do I panic and pull the trigger and apply to more programs?

--Sean

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After you call them and find out if they will consider you. Do the legwork if you really want it. Does your program has a sister Psych program, I definitely think face time is key, especially since you will only be partially funded.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Partially funded"? I thought 7 (or 8) years of residency were funded by the Federal government?

--Sean
I will try to explain to the best of my understanding. The funding depends on the length of the residency you started, for instance if you started a Nuerosurgery residency, you would be funded for 7 years as that is the expectation of how long it would take to finish. Say you wanted to switch to FM halfway thru, it would not be an issue as you were funded for 7 years. But your residency could take your funding in some circumstances.

How this applies to the OP is that he already completed or is completing an FM residency which is a 3 year. Since he finished a residency he has at least, to my understanding, used up part of his funding, meaning his Psych position will not be fully funded (the hospital will have to eat his salary). This can make it harder to get a residency. I am sure there are others who know about this more, but this is the understanding I have at this time.

I am a 3rd year family medicine resident, looking to apply for a second (psychiatry) residency after completing FM. I am applying in this year's ERAS/Match cycle and have submitted to 50+ programs in the northeast.

Haven't heard from any programs yet.

At what point do I panic and pull the trigger and apply to more programs?

--Sean
Did you ever hear back/get any interviews?

Depends on the context of your application. It's much different someone that applies first time vs someone that's re-applying

Status
Not open for further replies.