When do you employ recruitment maneuvers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobblehead

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In someone admitted for severe CAP, now ventilated and relatively hemodynamically stable where in your algorithm do would you fit recruitment maneuvers? Let's say you're looking at a situation of inadequate ventilation (pCO2 = 60) and inadequate saturation (pO2=55) on AC 12 Vt 600 FiO2 100 PEEP 10? You've already played briefly with APRV, PRVC and PCV. In addition to adequate sedation, steroids, nebulizers, antibiotics what else would you toss into the mix?

Members don't see this ad.

If after all of those interventions and oxygenation and ventilation remain a problem, the other interventions I would consider include:

1) Paralysis
2) Inhaled prostacyclin
3) Inhaled nitric oxide
4) Last resort would be evaluation by CT surgery for initiating ECMO.

Is this ARDS? Is there evidence of bilateral pulmonary infiltrates, no evidence of heart failure, P/F <300? I'm guessing there would be in this patient. What's the pH? A PaO2 of 55 is not too low, and PaCO2 of 60, assuming a pH 7.30-7.45, is not too high. A PEEP if 10 is low, and you could go higher to improve lung recruitment. If your FiO2 is 1.0, then your PEEP should be at 20-24 per the ARDSnet protocol. Your minute ventilate could also be higher. The theory is to provide sufficient oxygenation to maintain cell function, adequate ventilation to maintain a reasonable pH with a lung protective vent stragety. Recruitment methods work for only about 2 hours after, and there is no evidence of mortality benefit. Heavy sedation +/- paralysis may be required.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a couple more to add to the list that I have seen done.
P-flex test to find ideal PEEP
Continuous rotation or prone bed

I agree with proman, although I would vote to increase the PEEP first even if the patient was not in ARDS. Although there is much less literature to support lung protective ventilation in non-ARDS cases, I don't see the downside as long as the hypercapnia/resp acidosis isn't too severe. A pO2 of 55, while low, isn't far off my goal of a pO2 in the 60s for a patient with severe acute lung injury and the PEEP of 10 can be easily increased into the teens and twenties.

I agree with proman, although I would vote to increase the PEEP first even if the patient was not in ARDS. Although there is much less literature to support lung protective ventilation in non-ARDS cases, I don't see the downside as long as the hypercapnia/resp acidosis isn't too severe. A pO2 of 55, while low, isn't far off my goal of a pO2 in the 60s for a patient with severe acute lung injury and the PEEP of 10 can be easily increased into the teens and twenties.

I'm with Homer -- I think there is room on the increasing PEEP side.

It's a couple of days/week since this thread started -- what did you end up doing? Any clinical updates???

I'm with Homer -- I think there is room on the increasing PEEP side.

It's a couple of days/week since this thread started -- what did you end up doing? Any clinical updates???

I'm not following the patient clinically but I may be able to check this weekend what the exact details are. From what I can tell he did not tolerate increased PEEP or APRV due to hypotension even after 12L of hydration. The next step was paralysis and PCV (vs. PCV without paralysis previously). I believe he's still intubated due to ARF and massive fluid overload requiring CVVHD.