When do programs start uploading rank lists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J. Peterman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of my programs have already completed all of their interview days for this season. Since it's recommended to notify your favorite program prior to ranking, I was wondering when that would be advisable. There is one program that stands out for me as a likely favorite (and they have finished interviewing), but I still have additional interviews left and would prefer to have all information on the table before sending them notice. NRMP opened up for rank lists yesterday. What do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the program as there is a wide variation. Some programs like to have their residency selection committee meet very soon after their last interview date and create their rank list. This way knowledge of applicants are still fresh in everyone's mind. Alternatively, some wait until the end and meet just before the deadline. Of course, programs can also "micro-adjust" their list based on applicant feedback or new information.

Unless you are REALLY certain that you want to go to a particular program, I think it makes more sense to finish your interviews before making a final decision. Unfortunately, a few programs have dates in late Jan - early Feb so it really is a judgement call on your end.

How does a program benefit by an applicant letting them know they are his or her first choice, and why would a program change its rank list based on that information? I can see why a program impressed by an applicant would try to influence that applicant's rank list, but I can't see why a program would re-order its rank list just because an applicant will rank them first. Am I wrong?
Also, does everyone send off the 'you're my top choice email'? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
How does a program benefit by an applicant letting them know they are his or her first choice, and why would a program change its rank list based on that information?

Again, there is a wide range of variability among programs. On one extreme are the "purists" who want the entire process to be kosher (e.g. "don't contact us after the interview and don't expect us to contact you."). On the other extreme are programs who will only rank you at the top if you explicitly say, "you are my #1." Why would a program do that? Ego.

The reality is, most programs lie in between these two extremes. In other words they create their rank lists based on the strength of your application and the interview and may modify slightly based on post-interview applicant input.

I can see why a program impressed by an applicant would try to influence that applicant's rank list, but I can't see why a program would re-order its rank list just because an applicant will rank them first. Am I wrong?

No applicant will ever go from the bottom to the top of the rank list merely based on a, ":you're my #1!" However, if you have six or seven applicants who are all very good and essentially equivalent in the program's eyes then a "you're my #1" may help bump you up a spot or two.

No, definitely not. There are purists applicants as well ("rank what you want and trust in the Match") and there are applicants who tell multiple programs that they are #1 (not recommended).

It's really up to you. If you are REALLY gung-ho about a particular program why not send them an email stating such? If you would be very happy at a number of programs then rank them how you'd like and don't bother with any post-interview communication (except for the customary thank you).

How does a program benefit by an applicant letting them know they are his or her first choice, and why would a program change its rank list based on that information? I can see why a program impressed by an applicant would try to influence that applicant's rank list, but I can't see why a program would re-order its rank list just because an applicant will rank them first. Am I wrong?

Ego for one - programs love matching their first choice. Knowing they will get an applicant that really wants to be there is also appealing.