This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances of receiving an II and/or being accepted?

• You wasted your money; should have withheld

• There's still a chance, but it's very low

• There's still a reasonable chance

• You GOT this my guy! Tell 'em what's up

Results are only viewable after voting.

LittleEngineCould

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Call me a trooper (I'm sure some of you have a more interesting choice for the word), but I've just submitted my primary application earlier today. Hold the tears for me though-- I have factual information that this is absolutely no issue in regards to my local [off-shore] selections.

I'm an URM and this is my first time applying to US schools. Majority of the schools I've chosen are within <%8 of my LM score (~65), and according to MSAR I stack-up "ok" in terms of overall stats. Additionally, most of them are OOS friendly and have deadlines in late November all the way to mid-December. I know the process is much more complex than this, but those are the details I'll disclose.

I'm basically using this thread as a survey to evaluate how much of a car-wreck my cycle's outcome is looking like.

Have you heard of any success stories from applicants with similar time-of-submissions? What about including my circumstances? Are you rooting for me to pull off a miracle? Is this the most expensive and time consuming Lotto game I'll ever play in my life?

PS. Chiiiill. I'll be ready for the secondaries and extra fees, bro. Worst case scenario I'll just live off Chef Boyardee cans for a few months until I recover financially and emotionally.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well considering today is when the first wave of acceptances go out, I'd say it's too late.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you have a reasonable chance - especially if you have a strong/compelling PS, good ECs and secondary essays

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, several months ago I e-mailed Feinberg School of Medicine (mainly because I wanted to see what a top-tier school would respond) asking them if they had rolling-admissions. This is what they wrote:

"[...] All applications, regardless of whether they were submitted in early June or closer to October 15th will receive a thorough review. Final admissions are reached and released anytime between late November and the end of March. [...]"

So, I suppose it comes down to how genuine the statement was (i.e., to not discourage business, but they really do follow "first-come, first-serve"), and the tone of the modifier "closer to October".

There are often a few gems who apply "late" but who would be great additions to the class. Someone is going to nab that last interview invite of the season and it just might be someone who applies closer to October 15th than someone not as strong who applied in June.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you have a good chance. How long are applications taking to get verified now?

Edit: Plus, look at your username. You must have one of those unstoppable attitudes. This will come across in your PS and when the adcom sees the date you applied, he or she will respect the authenticity of this can-do attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There are often a few gems who apply "late" but who would be great additions to the class. Someone is going to nab that last interview invite of the season and it just might be someone who applies closer to October 15th than someone not as strong who applied in June.

The Queen herself! Thank you for taking the moment to comment!

I think you have a reasonable chance - especially if you have a strong/compelling PS, good ECs and secondary essays

The vote of confidence is appreciated. Hopefully they find my PS and secondary cogent and compelling enough to merit a II. ECs might be an Achilles' heel when compared to competing applicants.

I think you have a good chance. How long are applications taking to get verified now?

Edit: Plus, look at your username. You must have one of those unstoppable attitudes. This will come across in your PS and when the adcom sees the date you applied, he or she will respect the authenticity of this can-do attitude.

Last time it took ~10 days for my prime.app to get verified. I've seen and heard of other instances with similar verification rates.

In regards to your Edit: Thanks! That's a very nice comment, actually. Lol Hopefully you're spot on with your prediction.

I'm just curious why you're not considering a gap year? I think it'd increase your chances much more at being accepted somewhere if you apply early next cycle.

I'm just curious why you're not considering a gap year? I think it'd increase your chances much more at being accepted somewhere if you apply early next cycle.

(1) Personally feel rushed to become a medical student. Not by anyone-- just myself. (2) I'm that confident in my competitive-status locally. I got IIs by all schools and had significantly lower stats at the time (LM = ~59). (3) Was in too deep already.

(1) Personally feel rushed to become a medical student. Not by anyone-- just myself. (2) I'm that confident in my competitive-status locally. I got IIs by all schools and had significantly lower stats at the time (LM = ~59). (3) Was in too deep already.

There's some info missing here. You just stated that you're a reapplicant but your initial post said first time applying to US schools. Where did you apply the first time?

I got IIs by all schools and had significantly lower stats at the time (LM = ~59).

You said that you were a first time applicant to US schools. What schools did you apply to that you got multiple IIs, but (presumably) weren't accepted?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Call me a trooper (I'm sure some of you have a more interesting choice for the word), but I've just submitted my primary application earlier today. Hold the tears for me though-- I have factual information that this is absolutely no issue in regards to my local [off-shore] selections.

I guess it's my bad for the ambiguity. Was trying to keep a certain degree of anonymity; but I guess it's kind of pointless in respect to that detail, considering that if someone cared enough to look they could just figure it out from my posting-history. So: Puerto Rico.

Also thought "local"+"off-shore" would be enough to convey the message that I'm not in the United States.

I think you have a reasonable chance if indeed you are considered a URM by the schools to which you are applying.

I know one non-URM who wasn't fully complete until ~October 15 last year who got one (only one) acceptance. But she would have had 3-4 if she had been on time is my opinion.

Kids- don't try this at home.

Report back when you have an acceptance, then you'll have a reason to be confident

I think you have a reasonable chance if indeed you are considered a URM by the schools to which you are applying.

I know one non-URM who wasn't fully complete until ~October 15 last year who got one (only one) acceptance. But she would have had 3-4 if she had been on time is my opinion.

Kids- don't try this at home.

Thanks for your insight! And yeah, definitely don't encourage anyone else to do the same (lol).

Report back when you have an acceptance, then you'll have a reason to be confident

Fair enough!

Also thought "local"+"off-shore" would be enough to convey the message that I'm not in the United States.

Sorry, I just didn't want to assume anything.

While applying this late isn't a kiss of death, I'd recommend working on your interview skills while you are waiting. Given your stats and URM status, I'd imagine you'll get IIs, but you don't want to give them any reason to reject post-interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any idea what happened with Puerto Rican med schools? Did you call and ask why you weren't accepted?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Sorry, I just didn't want to assume anything.

While applying this late isn't a kiss of death, I'd recommend working on your interview skills while you are waiting. Given your stats and URM status, I'd imagine you'll get IIs, but you don't want to give them any reason to reject post-interview.

Ah, well played then! I understand.
And advice I'll definitely take to heart. I've already invested this much in my gamble; so I'll be doing that among other things (ECs to show that I'm active) while this goes on.

Any idea what happened with Puerto Rican med schools? Did you call and ask why you weren't accepted?

Yes, I'll provide some context and disclose a brief summary: Their rubric is very calculated, literally. 80% of your evaluation is your GPA+MCAT. 10% is your interview performance, the other 10% is LoRs. So essentially, punching in numbers into a program and only about ~20-10% is their personal judgement. Paraphrasing a key line I was told by admission officers, "Our process of evaluation isn't [as?] holistic like[as?] the schools from the United States". In other words, I couldn't really lawyer on behalf of my low GPA, which is the crux of this whole process. Stats are better now though.

Relevant bump. @arrmatey3 This was 8 days ago. Keep in mind that I only submitted my primary because I'm still relatively early, and [according to MSAR 2015 + 2016 data] a strong candidate for my local schools. Also, I only applied to like 6 US schools. Being reckless is apparently a strong suit of mine.

Interpret the survey results however you wish (I am not affirming that they can apply to you).

Last edited: