WHC GS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eglet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how DO-friendly (or nonfriendly) the Washington Hospital Center General Surgery program is? Their Current Residents page has a ton of IMGs, but only one DO in their entire program, which leads one to believe they specifically prefer not to take DOs. Feel free to PM if you'd rather not publicly answer. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

One of the rising chiefs (actually the admin chief) is a DO, and he's one of the best residents I've worked with. He rotated here as a med student so he was well-known when he applied. In terms of FMGs, we have about 1 categorical FMG per class (1 out of 5 - about as many as Hopkins), not sure I would consider that "a ton".

I think the PD and the program leadership are fairly open-minded to consider anyone for the position; unfortunately the problem stems from the general misconception that DOs or FMGs are lesser applicants and therefore programs that hire them become less attractive.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how DO-friendly (or nonfriendly) the Washington Hospital Center General Surgery program is? Their Current Residents page has a ton of IMGs, but only one DO in their entire program, which leads one to believe they specifically prefer not to take DOs. Feel free to PM if you'd rather not publicly answer. Thank you!
One DO has to be above the national average for a program that size right? Don't see why that would make you think they specifically prefer not to take DOs

They have several IMGs as Prelim residents which is not unusual; otherwise there is one PGY-3.

One DO is not so unusual especially given that they have only 2 DOs on faculty. Also bear in mind that the east coast is more conservative in nature; you'll find more DOs in places with osteopathic hospitals and residencies.

The faculty list was interesting: I see one of the guys who was an MIS fellow when I was a resident.