What's your 401k asset allocation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just noticed my small/mid cap allocation in 401k jumped from 32% to 36% in under 3 months, beating large cap by a lot (I set large/small 50/50%). It becomes the best performing in my allocation. I will rebalance if it becomes 40%, let it run a bit.

401k set portfolio: 36%int/32small/32large
Indexing is starting to completely take over and because of that, large growth stocks are getting overvalued a tad and creating some value to be had in small cap value stocks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Indexing is starting to completely take over and because of that, large growth stocks are getting overvalued a tad and creating some value to be had in small cap value stocks.

Really? I feel like everyone's buying individual stocks and options now.

I just looked at my 401k options and the growth funds are getting over twice the returns of the Vanguard funds, whether small cap mid cap or large cap. They have higher fees but also much higher returns since inception. Would it be risky to choose growth funds instead of the plain index funds?

My Roth just has a total stock market fund but I'm thinking of moving it to ARKK or something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked at my 401k options and the growth funds are getting over twice the returns of the Vanguard funds, whether small cap mid cap or large cap. They have higher fees but also much higher returns since inception. Would it be risky to choose growth funds instead of the plain index funds?

My Roth just has a total stock market fund but I'm thinking of moving it to ARKK or something similar.
That's the gamble. Will things keep going with PE ratios going up and up, or will the market start to wonder about sustainability and begin investing in what they perceive as undervalued stocks?

I am doing it for 2-3 years with small cap... Wish I started at the beginning of the year. I missed a 12% YTD return.

Even last year, my 401k small cap growth had a 36% return... Imagine one has 5 yrs return like that.

Last edited:
You can **** around with your taxable accounts slinging straight calls and spamming SPACs while leaving your IRA parked in index funds

...at the same time?! What?

DBX is up 9.5% today. BA is down 5% today. Sell enough DBX to buy 7 shares of BA.

Is everyone staying the course?

I moved my 401k to 100% total market fund last year.

I’ve been cruising along at 100% stocks. Detailed allocation to follow, but off the top of my head it’s like 80% S&P500 + completion fund, 15% international (total market, ex-US), 5% real estate.

My HSA is like 90% stocks not counting the mando $2k drag.

About to get hosed later this morning when the markets overreact to Comrade Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. Oh well.

Reactions: 1 users
Is everyone staying the course?

I moved my 401k to 100% total market fund last year.
I’m buying BABA, META, and JD on recurring investments, besides the target date funds in my 401(k). I love the discounts. Wish I could buy more.

I’m buying BABA, META, and JD on recurring investments, besides the target date funds in my 401(k). I love the discounts. Wish I could buy more.

Have you considered Roblox? I don’t want to touch the stock market with a 10 foot pole right now, but roblox looks sexy to me right now.

Have you considered Roblox? I don’t want to touch the stock market with a 10 foot pole right now, but roblox looks sexy to me right now.

Why? 28bil valuation for a kids game that lost 150mil last quarter during a pandemic. Games go out of style, it will only get less popular and kids will stop playing IMO. My nephew had a Roblox themed birthday last year, but I don't think he's played or mentioned it since then.

I still use the bogglehead philosophy - essentially the three fund portfolio - but I just have pretty much everything in target date retirement funds. I moved my emergency fund into Ibonds - a guaranteed 7.1% (for 6 months) and then likely somewhere around 6% for the next 6 months. I dabbled a little bit with individual stocks, and the worst thing that happened is that I made a good chunk of money at first and thought I could replicate it - I didn't - haha.

100% cheapest broad market index fund. Such as VOO or VTI or the mutual fund equivalents.

Way I see it, the leaders of the federal government are all too invested in the public markets to ever let them fall in nominal values. They will do whatever it takes to pump up the numbers, it might just take a few years. So for any money I do not need in next 3 years, it goes into broad market index funds to at least match inflation. (VOO is my personal inflation gauge, or at least it has historically matched the price increases with what I have goals to purchase).

In the event that the feds cannot pump up the nominal values of broad market index funds, then I think I should probably make lots of friends with guns, or maybe get guns myself.

100% cheapest broad market index fund. Such as VOO or VTI or the mutual fund equivalents.

Way I see it, the leaders of the federal government are all too invested in the public markets to ever let them fall in nominal values. They will do whatever it takes to pump up the numbers, it might just take a few years. So for any money I do not need in next 3 years, it goes into broad market index funds to at least match inflation. (VOO is my personal inflation gauge, or at least it has historically matched the price increases with what I have goals to purchase).

In the event that the feds cannot pump up the nominal values of broad market index funds, then I think I should probably make lots of friends with guns, or maybe get guns myself.

I do the same. It's not fun being down 10.3% YTD but what can you do.