Whats Vietnam like now? Have you gone back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star3124

:)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I noticed that there seem to be alot of Vietnamese SDN people out there from other threads. Since I've been curious about this question for awhile I thought this would be a good place to ask.

So I'm came here when I was 5, and I'm pursuing medecine now that I'm in Univeristy. I've been back to Vietnam twice, once when I was 12 and again when I was 14, it's been a few years since I've been back since then.

I think moving and living in northamerica for so long has probaly changed alot about how I view and see the world. And I admit, when I went back there, there were alot of things I didn't agree with. (I.E you had to bribe the airport people to let you through smoothly, this happens alot in asia, but it's annoying)

I stayed in a small city most of the time cuz that is where my extended family lived, so I didn't see alot of things. I was also pretty young then, so all I cared about was that I was dieing from the humidity and couldn't sleep on their wooden beds..haha.

I've heard that Vietnam is really modernizing now a days, especially Saigon/Ho Chi Minh city. I actually accidently stumbled across this show called "Vietnam Idol"..lol...which is like american idol except for vietnamese people. It really surprised be how modern everyone looked and dressed (like verging on korean/japanese fashion) as well as how professional the show was. I swear when I went back there, vietnam still seemed a little bit behind the rest of the world too me. There were alot of homeless people and beggers, and you could tell the gernal public did alot of physical labour by their clothes and skin. The show didn't really portray the country like that though (although I do relize tv often exagerates the "awsomeness" of things).

So for those of you who have been back recently what is vietnam like now? Like the enviorment, people, qaulity of life etc. Has living over here changed how you see/think of the country?

Members don't see this ad.