Should I go for it? (Starting my usmle journey now...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royalmedicus

royalmedicus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that this might be a repetitive question. But please take out two minutes from your busy schedule, it will be very valuable to me.

I have graduated from a B grade Chinese University in 2014 Dec with an mbbs degree. I am going to start my usmle journey just now. By the application season of 2019, I will have my ecfmg certificate ready. Seeing my strength I suppose I will have step 1 and step 2 scores in a range of 250-260, cs at first attempt and 10 months of usce which will of course mostly be observership type and if luck goes with me, few months of research experience. My ultimate goal is to be an interventional cardiologist.

I will be applying with a few negative points like graduation from not so famous college and close to 5 years since graduation.

So my question is, as an IMG who needs visa, can this journey and this type of picture get me in an internal medicine residency at a reasonable US college? I understand that competition is very tough and people start their journey to US much earlier. Should I just quit? Cause I would like to start my journey with solid and real possibilities.

Thanks much.

Members don't see this ad.

You came this far to quit? What were you doing between 2014 and now? I am not sure if you are a US-IMG or FMG from China, but I think if you don't try, you will regret it all your life. Maybe you can try to take step 1 and step 2 ASAP while you are gaining some USCE...and be ready for 2018 application season. Good luck

You came this far to quit? What were you doing between 2014 and now? I am not sure if you are a US-IMG or FMG from China, but I think if you don't try, you will regret it all your life. Maybe you can try to take step 1 and step 2 ASAP while you are gaining some USCE...and be ready for 2018 application season. Good luck
There are no excuses but there were some things not under my control. I am an fmg from China.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're basing all of this off the assumption you're going to land a 250-260? This is going to be interesting.

Life does not simply go out of one's control...unless in jail or captured in war.

There's clearly more to this story. Will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're basing all of this off the assumption you're going to land a 250-260? This is going to be interesting.

Life does not simply go out of one's control...unless in jail or captured in war.

There's clearly more to this story. Will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am ready to work hard. I have to compensate somehow. I need guidance.

So my question is, as an IMG who needs visa, can this journey and this type of picture get me in an internal medicine residency at a reasonable US college?

Yes. It is doable. Make sure you get that 260 though.

Reactions: 1 user