What's up w/ the U of Miami Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on this program. I've recently met some of the residents and they seem nice enough. I know they now have a new chairman. Anything else?
Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

As a student at UM, I would highly recommend speaking to more residents before you make a decision to come to Miami. Once you do, you'll realize that 90% of the housestaff are bitter, angry, reluctant to teach, and incompetent. Granted, JMH is a very busy hospital and there is exposure to alot of pathology which may account for their perpetual fatigue and incapability to be pleasant. I guess what you would want to ask yourself is whether that is the environment you want to endure to gain experience. Personally, I was considering going into Ob/Gyn until I did the clerkship. I could never deal with such maniacal, estrogen filled, overly tired people.
And that's all I have to say about that.

Doraku,

Thanks for info. As you can see I am already in residency but I have several friends that are interested in Miami (purely for geographic reasons). Can you add anything in regard to lectures, surgical volume, hours, etc?

Good luck the rest of the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my classmates from Miami who wants to do ob-gyn was there last weekend and talked to an ob-gyn while in town about the Miami program. (long sentence!) That ob-gyn said that the chairman had left and that some of the other top professors had left or were leaving as well. Maybe doraku can fill us in...

:) kem

the chairman IS leaving for various reasons - apparently he was fired due to the amount of lawsuits filed and problems left unsolved. However, there was a huge attempt to keep him because he is an excellent teacher and a great gynecologic oncologist. It didn't work though. He's leaving sometime this year. I don't really know who else is leaving...my experience with that department ended the day i took the shelf. In my opinion, he was one of the few attendings worth keeping.
As far as the lectures are concerned, i think thursdays are set aside as academic day. Judging from daily am rounds with the attendings though, the residents don't seem to be retaining much. They consistently could not answer questions, some of which were student level. There is a night float system in place for the Ob portion. High volume of cases...it seems like the residents have to compete with the fellows on gyn onc for some of them. The second and fourth years work on C/S together.
That's pretty much all i can offer.

Although the university is undergoing significant changes right now, there are many positive experiences to be gained in Miami. I am on my GYO sub-I right now, and my attitude towards residency here has changed since I took my 3rd yr clerkship. Although you will always find difficult personalities, all the people I work with are competent, caring, and hard-working. Some attendings are leaving (this is only in regards to GYO), but the ones remaining are amazing, and really love to teach. The fellows are also great. There is a huge volume of cases. Scheduled lectures are probably not as great as at other schools. During third year, I thought that I would never stay here for residency, but I am now reconsidering that choice. The residents here get great practical experience and see interesting (and advanced) pathology. Hope that helps.