What's the vote?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vball

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it best to live solo or with a classmate(s) the first term of PT school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd vote solo...but thats just me. i need mostly science when im doing book studying. Group studying is obviously different

It depends. My situation is going to be signing up for campus housing and getting placed with randoms. I personally like the idea of roommates, but I'm a little weary if they are in the same year...that's a lot of time to spend with them. One girl in the program where I'm headed off to did the same student housing application and got placed with a 3rd year DPT and 2 students from the public health program. Personally, I'd like to have a situation like that, just so if I had questions, I could go to the 3rd year (or 2nd..).

Members don't see this ad :)
During my undergrad I lived with one of my friends and we lived together, worked together and took classes together.

Surprisingly, we still didn't see that much of one another and still had to go on "date nights" to catch up.

That being said, at this point in my life, as I'm 25 I'm not about to sign myself up to live with a complete stranger. This is serious and I am serious about my studying.

So I am living "alone"... with my SO and our cat. Haha.

If you don't know anyone yet.. I'd go solo, or meet someone really quick at the Open House (if y'all have one). Otherwise, I'd see who you gel with and maybe move in with them your second semester. Good luck. What I do recommend is living on campus. We have a group of students (about 10) that live on campus and they often get together to study in small groups.. I'm jealous. ;)

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but here's my take. I know that whichever school I end up going to, I'll be moving to a new city and will have to learn my way around. I'm gonna try to find a roomie who is a student at the same school-- probably through Facebook or this forum. It would be beneficial for me to have someone to explore the new city with and someone right off the bat to turn to if I need a favor. I feel like I wouldn't be as motivated to get out and do things while alone in a brand new city as compared with having a roomie to figure it out with.

Im a 1st year PT student and live with another 1st year PT student and 1st year PA student. I personally love living with another person in my program cuz we always help each other out and practice hands on stuff outside of class at home. In my opinion it helps living with others in your program but it all depends on you and your learning style.

I think my wife and 2 kids would be mad if I lived solo, so I guess I will keep them as roommates. :)

lol wrennywren

I think I would like to live with other students in my program so that, as Tomsik said, I will have built in study buddies and people to practice with. However, my friend who is currently in the first year of her DPT program lives with 3 other girls who are all in different grad programs and she enjoys it. Her thinking was that since she will be with her classmates all day everyday it would be nice to have a break from them at home. She hangs out with her classmates socially and does study groups with them but home time can be her own time without the same people she's with 8 hours a day everyday.