What's going wrong here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ndebt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How come physicians continue to be paid well and MD school remains competitive meanwhile PT salaries continue to decrease and PT schools pop up everywhere? What's going wrong here, what are they doing differently to keep the market from being saturated with physicians and MD schools?
Rant over

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Barriers to entry are high, for a MD/DO degree. You have to snag a residency spot (min 3 years) on top of 4 years of schooling. Without a residency, you can't really practice medicine since you won't have hospital privileges and most, if not all, insurance companies won't reimburse you.

Contrast that with a DPT degree... No residency is required. Barriers to entry are low, for new schools. CAPTE's standards must be minimal, if something like South College's 2-yr online degree can be accredited. I would not be surprised if, in the next 3-5 years, the University of Phoenix starts a DPT curriculum. It's a juicy business for the schools as there are lots of naive students ready to pay a pretty sum to get in.

I see PT going down the same path as Pharmacy. If nothing changes, saturation will happen - it's just a matter of time.

2 questions here,
Number 1 being who does the accreditation for med schools, is it not the CAPTE?
And number 2, what steps can possibly be taken to increase the barriers of entry so PT can remain a competitive field

2 questions here,
Number 1 being who does the accreditation for med schools, is it not the CAPTE?
And number 2, what steps can possibly be taken to increase the barriers of entry so PT can remain a competitive field

1. The AAMC. Why would CAPTE be responsible for that? What does CAPTE stand for?

2. Theoretically: Increase prerequisites, mandate residency, clarify required course titles, their specific requirements and credit hours. Require that PT students entering 3rd year pass Step 1 of the PT equivalent of the USMLE. Step 2 post residency. Good luck with all of that.