What's the job market like for NT's after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gemgrrrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an NT student that will matriculate in August. I know what the overall job market looks like for new graduates, but I'm interested in how it might be different for NT students. Is it more/less difficult if you're older? If so, why?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would it be any different? Maybe it could be better if you were seen as 'more mature' and perhaps the clients would be less likely to ask if you are 'a REAL vet' - but otherwise, I'm not sure what would be different. Are you 60? Are they worried about hiring you for 5 years and then you retire? I'm not sure what else would matter.

If you appear to already be done having kids, employers might actually see your age in good light (as illegal as that may be).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would it be any different? Maybe it could be better if you were seen as 'more mature' and perhaps the clients would be less likely to ask if you are 'a REAL vet' - but otherwise, I'm not sure what would be different. Are you 60? Are they worried about hiring you for 5 years and then you retire? I'm not sure what else would matter.

Nope, not 60! Not for a little while still.

As far as why it would be different - because ageism is alive and well in the job market. There is the perception that older candidates are harder to train, don't pick up things as quickly, resistant to change, have higher expectations regarding salary and benefits, etc and so on. Just google "ageism job market" to see the hundreds of articles that have been written about it. Age discrimination is unlawful, but impossible to prove when it comes to failure to hire.

Nope, not 60! Not for a little while still.

As far as why it would be different - because ageism is alive and well in the job market. There is the perception that older candidates are harder to train, don't pick up things as quickly, resistant to change, have higher expectations regarding salary and benefits, etc and so on. Just google "ageism job market" to see the hundreds of articles that have been written about it. Age discrimination is unlawful, but impossible to prove when it comes to failure to hire.

I don't know if vet med would have as much of a problem with that as, say, some more technology based fields would.

But hell, I dunno. I think if you make some good contacts (and have some good recommendations going in) then you can overcome just about anything.