Whats the Deal with the Prosthetist/Orthotist Programs/Profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydrogonian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Go easy on me if this could be better posted in another section, but there is no prosthesist/orthotist practioner specific section on this forum.

What is an Prosthetist/Orthotist?
Anyway, FYI, a prosthetist practioner (as opposed to technician) is the person who fits, adjusts, fixes, sometimes fabricates, and teaches amputees how to use and maintain their prosthesis. Practioners are often also technicians, in small offices, but the technical fabrication work is often subcontracted for. Patients are often loyal to their prosthesist for life ( I am less apprised of the realities of orthosis use and care.)

An orthotist does similar for patients who need orthopedic braces.

The need for prosthesists/orthotists is obvious, as it is a job that does not fall within the scope of regular practice for any other professional, except maybe for the physiatrist who wishes to devote his/her entire practice to servicing the amputee population in this manner. Instead, prosthesists/orthotists fulfill the prescription for the prosthesis/orthotic brace from the high level practioner. While there are some prosthetic labs run in universities by higher level practioners/research scietnists, these are much more the exception than the rule.

Why is Professional Deveopment/Training so Underdeveloped?

So with such a specific profession, and an obvious need for these people (with diabetc amputations soaring/ increase in population etc) why are ther so few educational programs for prosthesist/orthotist practioners? There are only a small handful, and far from one in every state. Additionally, the class sizes are very small. Why is the training for this profession so underdeveloped in 2009? That seems ridiculous to me, and I was wondering as to what the underlying cause was. I would like to go to school for this, but the lack of development/organization in this profession makes me wonder if I am missing anything in my analysis of the profession. What am I not seeing?

The ROI seems to be good, but I could be wrong on this as well. As with any profession, it seems like the people who run their practices efficiently and progressively do very well. Salaries for experienced seem to be good, relative to other mid level practioners. Employment is sometimes advertised at being 100%. I have scome to the conclusion that practioners may not like to advertise their success or their profession, to limit competition. The situation presented next reinforces this suspicion.

Ocularists

Ocularists are the professionals who fit and fabricate ocular prosthetics. There are only 150 in the country!(internet stat - could be off) Are you kidding me!? Supposedly, these people have patients lined up out of their doors and cannot service all of the people who need these prosthetics. If you take into account the word need, the situation becomes magnified proportionally. Many ocularists take annual trips out of the country to service foreigners. Currently, you need a 5 year apprenticeship, with a board certified occularist, to be "board certified" to be an occularist. But get this, these apprenticeships are pretty much impossible to get for anyone outside of an occularists immediate family. And the people who run the certifying board are obviously ocularists themselves. This amount to a medieval guild system for a profession that is in dire need of trained people around the world. Why is this training not standardized? Why are certain families allowed to retain a monopoly on a profession that is critical the psychological needs of so many? A 'certifying board' such as that is nothing but a joke. Does one need to be 'certified' to legally practice/get insurance reimbursement? I realize this may be a moot concern, as it is impossible to get the minimal training required regardless.

Anyway, thanks for entertaining my thoughts, and considering my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

hydrogonian

Why is Professional Deveopment/Training so Underdeveloped?

In general I think there has always been a lack of money and that is partly why it is so underdeveloped. There is more money in Prosthetics and Prosthetics is more developed, where Orthotics there is less money and in turn Orthotics is less developed.

Why is the training for this profession so underdeveloped in 2009? That seems ridiculous to me, and I was wondering as to what the underlying cause was. I would like to go to school for this, but the lack of development/organization in this profession makes me wonder if I am missing anything in my analysis of the profession. What am I not seeing?

I think the main reason for it being so underdeveloped is that the field is so unorganized. I agree, it is ridiculous. Most of what we learned in the program is obsolete materials and techniques, the point of a lot of the things we did was to develop the hand skills necessary for fabrication and modification of Orthotic devices. For the most part where you get the most valuable experience is from the residency which is 1yr in length.

Another problem is finding not just any residency site, some are good & some are bad. The problem is how is a resident supposed to separate the good from the bad ones, and when you are desperate for a residency it can sometimes be take a bad one or none at all. NCOPE National Commission on Orthotic & Prosthetic Education http://www.ncope.org/ is the organization that controls the standards for residencies & the resident, and to be perfectly honest I think they do a terrible job. You can go to their site & look at potential residency sites that tell you if the companies are hiring or not hiring residents. http://www.ncope.org/info_residents/residency_programs_us.asp
90% of the companies that are listed as hiring are not hiring they just don't update their status. 90% is not an exact figure, but its not that far off. Believe me I spent plenty of time calling facility after facility looking for potential residencies and a lot of the time the people who answered seemed irritated that I was bothering them.

The ROI seems to be good, but I could be wrong on this as well.

Prosthetics generally is very good. Recently prosthetics has been seeing almost a 25% decrease in amputations in a period of about 10yrs. Its not know yet what the decrease is attributed to at this time.

Orthotics can be good and sometimes it can be in the hole. In the O & P field patients cannot be billed for office visits, the billing is all included in the delivered product through L-codes. So for example if a patient needs a HALO and you provide one assisting the physician putting it on and everything goes well, that is usually a good return. For another example if you fit a $50.00 corset that Medicare will only pay you 56.00 for and it takes 2hrs to fit the person, that is not a good return. (And this does happen quite often with other items like compression stockings soft goods, etc.)
Medicare also went a little crazy this year as to what they will pay for and what they are not going to pay for so it is getting harder to make a profit, hard enough that it may make some smaller businesses eventually close their doors if it keeps going the way it is.

Employment is sometimes advertised at being 100%.

It can be, if you are willing to move across the country. The positions are few and far between.

I have scome to the conclusion that practioners may not like to advertise their success or their profession, to limit competition.

That is a very accurate conclusion in my opinion. There are a number of different reasons I believe this.

Last edited:
Thnaks for the response OandPGuy.:) I was wondering when a O and P professional was going to see and reply to my post..

Anyway, in your opinion, would you say that investing in the training to be a CP is a good call or not? Do you regret it or are you happy with your current situation and your future opportunity? Are you bored or satisfied?

Are jobs really that scarce and, perhaps, competitive?

I was even considering applying to a Masters program to keep my options maxed in the future, but also think that it could be overkill considering the disorganization and perhaps lack of opportunity overall. Also, Personally, I think that the new future Masters requirement is degree creep and overkill given the scope of practice. But the new future requirement is the requirement.

This is how I perceive the market: Even at an average of one new patient per week, at 52 new patients per year, an office would profit on 50 new $5k to $15k prosthetics per year. Even if it takes $2k to manufacture each prosthetic, thats still a decent return. But like you said, amputations have been decreasing. At the same time, I keep seeing a publicized statistic that only 62% of new amputees will have a prosthetist to service them, because of the 'shortage' of prosthetists. Its hard to know what to believe.

Anyway, Im really torn right now. As Id like to go into the field, but just cant get a read on the employment opportunities, or lack thereof, in the field. I cant risk all of the time and money just to be stuck when I graduate, or in a position that pays much less than $50k per year.

Im trying to decide between this career and speech pathology. While Speach seems like it could be insufferably boring, the work is clean, profitable, and abundant.

The OandP profession seems like it could offer more autonomy and satisfaction overall, but unfortunatley that is hard to know until Ive worked in the field.

Hard choice...:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I checked the site for the 1st couple weeks, and when I didn't get any replies I forgot about it.

A member sent me a P.M. about this so I'll tell you what I know.

I have to go right now but I will respond later tonight.

Last edited:
Anyway, in your opinion, would you say that investing in the training to be a CP is a good call or not? Do you regret it or are you happy with your current situation and your future opportunity? Are you bored or satisfied?

Investing in the training to be a CP would be a great call if there was going to be a job waiting for you after (and there is no guarantee there will be a job for you the way things are going). If I could find a job I would not regret it, but after my residency was finished the company did not keep me and I have been unable to find anything for almost 5 months now. I did not go the CP route, I completed an Orthotic Prac program. There is supposed to be much more opportunity in Orthotics compared to Prosthetics, and if you think about that it makes perfect sense. Prosthetics deals with the loss of a limb, loss of limbs is limited to trauma and certain pathologies which require amputation. Orthotics can involve countless pathologies, spinal injury, gait abnormalities, leg length discrepancies and so on. So what I'm getting at by comparing the two is I went into the one that has more opportunity and I myself am unemployed.

I have sent out plenty of resumes to multiple states, I have had a few interviews and done fine but due to my lack of experience have not landed a job.

Are jobs really that scarce and, perhaps, competitive?

Right now for rookies like myself entering the field yes.
http://www.oandp.com/classifieds/
http://jobs.aopanet.org/c/search_results.cfm?site_id=529

Most places want you to have experience, more than someone like me has. How do you get that experience when you can't work in the field until you complete your education/residency? If you apply to one of the few places right now that are willing to look past a person's lack of experience you are probably not the only person trying to get that job as I have learned.

I was even considering applying to a Masters program to keep my options maxed in the future, but also think that it could be overkill considering the disorganization and perhaps lack of opportunity overall. Also, Personally, I think that the new future Masters requirement is degree creep and overkill given the scope of practice. But the new future requirement is the requirement.

The new Masters requirement is overkill and I personally have not spoken to one person out in the field who thinks different. I would never have gone into this if it required a Masters when I started.

This is an interesting read, according to this a larger majority of people in the field believe a Masters should be the requirement. According to most things contained in this pdf file from ncope every one of the people I have spoken with about these topics must be rare exceptions.
http://www.ncope.org/assets/pdfs/final_QnA_on_masters_for_web.pdf

This is how I perceive the market: Even at an average of one new patient per week, at 52 new patients per year, an office would profit on 50 new $5k to $15k prosthetics per year. Even if it takes $2k to manufacture each prosthetic, thats still a decent return. But like you said, amputations have been decreasing. At the same time, I keep seeing a publicized statistic that only 62% of new amputees will have a prosthetist to service them, because of the 'shortage' of prosthetists. Its hard to know what to believe.

I can't really accurately comment much on the Prosthetic side of things except for what is obvious. What is known is that the Prosthetic side of OandP generates more money and has much less patients, but the Orthotic side has much more patients and makes less money.(This is simply due to the fact that artificial limbs bill out so high, and braces do not)

Also Hydrogonian I think the average of one new patient per week for Prosthetics would be a very high average. Even if your average is less than that for example 1 new C-Leg if I remember correctly bills out for over $30,000.00 so that is one good example of why Prosthetics is so much more profitable at times even when you don't have a steady flow of patients.

Anyway, Im really torn right now. As Id like to go into the field, but just cant get a read on the employment opportunities, or lack thereof, in the field. I cant risk all of the time and money just to be stuck when I graduate, or in a position that pays much less than $50k per year.

Im trying to decide between this career and speech pathology. While Speach seems like it could be insufferably boring, the work is clean, profitable, and abundant.

The OandP profession seems like it could offer more autonomy and satisfaction overall, but unfortunatley that is hard to know until Ive worked in the field.

Hard choice...

I don't mean to deter you or anyone else from this field, I'm just sharing my situation and what I know. It hasn't always been this hard to find a job in OandP in the past. This is just a very bad time, the economy is bad, and no one really understands how health care reform is going to affect this field in particular. Sometime before I started in school for Orthotics (about 6-7yrs ago) I knew a guy that sent about 12 resumes out looking for residencies and I think he received 4 inquires from companies looking to take him on. Last year according to 2 individuals that were my former classmates one of them sent out upwards of 70 resumes looking for a residency and received 2 responses, the other classmate sent out a similar amount and received 1or 2 responses.

Hanger is the largest OandP company and even though these examples are from 2003 they are accurate as to what they were offering to pay a resident when they interviewed my class.
http://www.jobs-salary.com/hanger-orthopedic-group-orthotic-resident-salary.htm
There have been some residency sites that are willing to take you as a resident without pay (so that means you would basically work 40hrs or more a week with no pay for 1yr and either have a night job, or take out some kind of loan to get by)

Honestly if I were to do it over, at this time I would not have gone into this field. It is hard to comprehend not being able to find work in a field that is supposedly hurting so bad for employees. There are a lot of other mind boggling issues involved with this field.

Last edited:
I recently graduated with an MS in Orthotics and Prosthetics. I wanted to comment on this thread because I found it during my first semester, after it was too late to get a tuition refund.

I wanted to post to hopefully spare a prospective student the heartache, disappointment and debt slavery that could be involved in pursuing a degree in this field.

What Oand guy says is true.

I graduated from a large program that has saturated the region I live in with practitioners. Myself and other students were misinformed about the field and opportunities by our program director. We were assured that everyone gets a residency and that the common internet myth regarding "100% employment" was true.

I have been unable to find a residency along with some of my other classmates. A graduate from a previous year has been unemployed for over a year. Other graduates have given up and moved out of state leaving their families. And there are anecdotes about people who have gone onto other fields after being unable to find work in the field.

The frustrating thing about this field is that since it is so tiny, it is difficult to find accurate information regarding actual employment, quality of programs, etc. You won't find anyone willing to tell you the truth from any of the O&P websites, or anyone affiliated with a school.

Remember that a program director needs bodies in seats, don't believe anything you are told.

Also the scope of practice is not what you think it may be. Prosthetics in the O&P context is strictly limbs. If you are interested in facial prostheses, you need to look at anaplastology, and ocularists

Before you consider a career in this field, have a residency lined up before you even enter the program. Call or visit every practice/office you can and ask them about the reality of job opportunities. Your school is not necessarily going to help you.

If you are willing to move anywhere in the country, uproot your family and work for peanuts, possibly in poorly ventilated conditions with exposure to carcinogenic chemicals, go for it. The field can be very rewarding.

If you entered the medical field looking for job satisfaction, security and work life balance, O&P may not be the field for you.

Earning my MS in O&P was the biggest mistake of my life. I wish I had done more research and that there had been more accuracy and honesty regarding opportunities in the field. Hindsight is 20/20.

I hope I can save someone the disappointment and frustration. Hold onto your dreams, and hold out for something better.

grdschlmistake,
Did you find that there were certain regions of the country that seemed to accept more students for residency? I keep going back and forth about pursing an MS in O&P. It's a field I really enjoy, but I am not willing to move across the country just to find a job. Do you have any other advice? I've found it really hard, like you said, to find straight information about the field. It is a relatively small field, but is projected to grow. I know one recent graduate of the CO program, and she is unable to find a residency. I also have talked to a local O&P, and he seems to think I would be able to find a job within a 40 mile radius if I was "persistent and skilled."

Sorry to hear about your job situation. Such a shame for an awesome field! Best of luck!

Iamastudent,

I don't have all the answers. People in this field seem to talk out of both sides of their mouth. "Omg, there's a shortage of practitioners down south. Residencies are hard to find." Since O&P is a tiny field, people are afraid of stepping on anyone's toes and the truth gets lost in "diplomacy."

I don't feel comfortable putting out too much information about myself/my experiences in my program/field. Can you PM me with what school you were thinking of attending?

In terms of other advice, do you have a residency lined up if you decide to pursue the MS? If not, my advice is find something else. It just isn't worth the student debt.

As for finding something if you are "skilled and persistent," I can't speak for anyone else but I didn't take on debt and waste two years of my life earning a master's degree to beg for a job. I could have easily done that with my less expensive bachelor's degree. I wanted and expected the "guaranteed employment in the medical field" I was promised.

Have you looked at PA opportunities in PMR? Or even PT or OT school?

Having made my first student loan payment, I wanted to come back and update this thread in case any aspiring O&P students come across it the way I did. Hopefully anyone with doubts will find this before they invest poorly in an education that may not open the doors they were hoping to.

As of this post, 25% of my graduating class is still without residencies. These graduates are either unemployed or back at their old jobs. I am part time in my pre grad school job, making an extra dollar an hour with my shiny new MS degree.

This field is small, limited, and it can be limiting and political. Not all schools have the same quality, and a degree from certain schools may work against you.

I hope that O&P professionals will start speaking out against the programs that misrepresent quality, facilities and affiliations.

I also hope that since education has moved to a business model, one day we student "consumers" may have some recourse for "purchasing" a product that turns out to be defective.

Due to several inquiries, I have come back to update this thread.

February 2014

My graduating class has increased to 33% of graduates who were unable to find a residency, and are unemployed or unemployed in the field.

The unofficial stats on the class following mine is that 20% of its students were unable to find a residency, and are unemployed or unemployed in the field.

The "star" of my class published medical research, before he graduated, in a major journal. He was unable to find a residency and now works in an unrelated job with tens of thousands of dollars in graduate student debt (8+% interest).

I am competing for 10$/hr jobs with other candidates who have Master's degrees from various disciplines (MBAs etc). The transition of O&P to the master's degree level is just a money grab to pad university coffers. It is degree creep.

This field neither cares about nor looks out for its own. Be careful.

I am not exaggerating when I say that this program ruined my life and my future. I won't go into personal details here, but please, look out for yourselves.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is still active, but I just came across this thread and thought that I should share my two cents as I currently work in the field (for now) as a Certified Orthotist/board eligible Prosthetist, and would like to get some real, accurate info out there. All I can say is that what grdschlmistake has said is true, and I recommend that anyone considering this field to run far away from it! This is coming from someone who was able to find a job in the field and have been working in it since about 2008. I graduated with an MS in '09 and already had a residency lined up while I was in school, so I was lucky in the sense that finding employment wasn't actually a problem for me (though it was for most of my classmates). I should preface my diatribe by stating that as of this writing I have recently handed in my resignation and will gladly be leaving this horrible field to pursue the obligatory "anything but this" line of work.

There is so much wrong with this field I don't even know where to begin. I guess the biggest problem is that the field is set up around a terrible business model. You are not employed by a large hospital system as a doctor, nurse, P.T., etc would be. Instead there are all of these outside O and P companies selling their services to the hospitals, private clinics, etc. so you are completely reliant on referrals from these sources to keep your business going. What this means for a practitioner is that you are essentially a salesman. Regardless of what anyone says about clinical knowledge or skill, you keeping your job is dependent solely on your numbers (how good of a salesman you are/how much business you can bring in). This is true especially at large companies like Hanger. They are known for being ruthless to their employees, who are nothing more than numbers. From my experience I can tell you that it is no different at the smaller companies either.

I can assure you that your grades in school, your knowledge, your intellect, none of that matter to the owners of these O and P companies. Someone mentioned degree creep in an earlier post and I feel that is an understatement now that they are requiring a Masters. In all honesty, considering the scope of practice of this field, I would say an Associates with an emphasis on marketing/business is all that is needed. Even a Bachelor's is overkill in my opinion. The majority of this job is hand skills that can be learned over time, even on the clinical side. Casting, measuring, adjusting, those are all manual hand skills. On top of that all you really need are some basic people skills (which many in the field lack), and common sense/basic biomechanics to evaluate and determine the proper devices for patients. All of which can be learned in a two year Associates. None of this is rocket science and unfortunately at the end of the day it all boils down to your numbers, not how happy Mr. Smith was with his prosthesis or orthosis today.

This field doesn't have a true identity in the healthcare world. You'll find the "diehard" practitioners who want so badly to believe that they're on equal footing as doctors or scientists, yet they run around these hospitals like sharks peddling their legs and braces. It really is a degrading job when you get right down to it. You are nothing more that an errand boy/girl for the physical therapists and doctors, fetching braces and legs fast enough so they don't call your competition down the street.

This cut throat business model is only getting worse with the healthcare changes and the actions that Medicare is taking with cutting reimbursement, stricter documentation requirement, and RAC audits, etc. The money isn't coming in to these businesses with all these changes, which means doom for most of the smaller companies. Most in the field have no idea where the field will be in the coming years, if it will be here at all, and many (like me) are getting out. This is why no one can find residencies. There simply is no money and the field is flooded.

This field is imploding on itself and it's shameful that these programs are still pitching it as a "rapidly growing field with a shortage of practitioners". Please, please, please DO NOT PURSUE THIS FIELD! I can't state that strongly enough!

I hope some people read this and avoid the trap of falling for the bag of goods you are likely to be sold regarding this "gem" of a field. This field truly is a farce. If anyone would like more info, I can give more details and probably go on about this for quite a while.

Can you expand more please? Keep going. Do you know much about the possibilities 3D printing will allow? Any word on the research side of O&P? Is it any better? I haven't gotten a bachelor's yet, was looking toward kinesiology for a master's in O&P. Now that I saw this I'm thinking otherwise... I really love the idea of the field. I've day dreamed about it many a time. Even day dreamed about bringing it to less developed countries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fearful, I'm sorry I am so late responding to this but I just saw your post. Hopefully I can expand on my previous thoughts about why this is such a bad field in a reasonably concise manner. I will preface this by saying that I can only speak from my experience and what I know of the nature of the field in my area of the U.S., but from what I have heard that it is more or less the same nationwide. Add to what I say the fact that the insurance changes, cuts in reimbursement, claims denials, etc. have wreaked havoc on this field in particular so all of what I am about to say is magnified even more.

I should mention that I did enjoy the feeling of helping people and most of the patients you work with are very grateful for what you do for them. Unfortunately the system that this field operates around is one that is in the business/sales arena more than a that of a healthcare system, so much of your energy is spent trying to find new patients (revenue) to bring into the company that you are working for, rather than actually caring for the patients. Unless you are able to find the rare university/hospital setting to work in you will likely be working for a smaller, independent company with limited referrals who will hound you about your numbers and bringing in new referrals for the business. This becomes a cut-throat sales job real quick, without any of the perks of a sales job (ie: commission, company car, flexible hours, etc.) Even if you work for a larger company like Hanger they are known for being ruthless to their employees. At a place like that you are NOTHING more than a number and can be disposed of at the drop of a hat.

Most of the people who are successful in this field usually have the slick salesman personality and have no problem playing the numbers game. I have met almost all of the "big names" in my area that work in the field. I had heard the names of these people floating around when I was in school and thought the big reputation they had must have been earned through their immense genius, knowledge, and experience. Each and every time I met one of them I felt like I was talking to a shady used car salesman, using corny catchphrases and the like. Total sleazeballs. And after working in the field I now know why they are so successful.

If you do go into this, then get used to thinking about marketing: numbers, in-services (glorified sales pitches), cold calling, luncheons, etc. I guess if you love schmoozing and are a slick talker then maybe you will be okay with this. But then why not just go into actual sales and make real money and not have to worry about being a salesman on top of managing a caseload of patients?

I was personally given a "territory" to cover in which I was required to solicit every hospital, doctors office, therapy clinic, and nursing home in my assigned territory in an attempt to gain referrals and I was grilled by the owners if I didn't manage to bring in any new business (as was every other Orthotist/Prosthetist where I worked). It is truly a sales game and I didn't stick around to have my pay cut or eventually be fired because my numbers weren't exponentially increasing as the owners of the business feel they should, but that is what you face if you don't bring in a certain amount of revenue.

Add onto this the decline in reimbursement from insurances, and insurances outright not paying for these services (it has become common for prostheses to be rejected by insurances as not being medically necessary!) and these problems are magnified all the more. These companies are cut throat and are hurting for money. If you don't bring it then you will be gone.

Because of all of this and the field becoming flooded, residencies and jobs are nearly impossible to find. Most places in my area won't offer residencies or will only offer an unpaid one. Even if you do manage to get certified you are looking at a laughably low salary for the amount of education you have. Just from my experience from what I was given and what I see others being offered, I estimate you can look at starting salary for a new certified practitioner around $40k on the high end and you probably won't see much more than that with experience so don't expect any raises.

On top of all that there is a serious lack of professionalism in the field. Many of the experienced practitioners have little education and were grandfathered in 20 or 30 years ago. I was shocked after getting out of school thinking I was going to enter a professional field and found that many of these places are like working in a factory. There are a lot of low class personalities working in the field and especially running a lot of these businesses. Very blue collar types of people where sexism runs rampant. I have personally witnessed chairs being thrown, phones ripped off of walls, and employees being degraded and screamed at by owners throwing temper tantrums. This is common across the board from what I have heard from others in the field. But those types of people running the field are probably why the field is in the position it's in today.

So in summary, I STRONGLY urge you not to pursue this field. At least not in this country. For what you pay for a Masters and what you are going to get (if you get anything) it is not even close to being worth it. Study biomedical engineering or some other engineering or science field where you're education will actually be put to good use and you will be working alongside other intellectuals. I know it sounds sexy but this is not a field which requires much intellect. You will be working at a level much below that of what a Masters should produce, which is why a Master's degree is such overkill. The actual work is mostly hand skills and common sense.

I hope this doesn't sound like some disgruntled employee or sour grapes, because I can assure you that these are the sentiments of most of the people working in the field in my area that aren't owners. I know that I feel like I wasted so much of my time, money and potential going into this field and would hate to see others make the same mistakes.

I have checked into SDN periodically since I posted, both to answer PMs and see if there has been any activity on this thread, and to check that it is still searchable. It is heartbreaking to read more stories of negative experiences.

I will echo EndlessNameless in some of his sentiments. I too encountered the factory mentality in some clinicians, and the sexism... oh boy. I had to sit next to a preceptor once as he told the head of the ED that "women are great employees because you can pay them less." There's nothing wrong with a blue collar job, but not when one has wasted tens of thousands of dollars on a M.S. But when one is in school one will be exposed to the "mentor a woman in O&P" program. It's lip service. I also agree that O&P could be an associates degree

Two graduates from my cohort were diagnosed with cancer around the same time. I believe the diagnoses were related to the unsafe chemical conditions in our lab. I went through some pretty horrible life circumstances, and when I asked a (different) preceptor to please help me find employment, even if it wasn't in O&P, this individual said "Good luck!" This person is now the head of the program I graduated from.

I am going back to school for pre-reqs and I am going to apply to PA school. I wish I had not wasted two years of my life and a small fortune on O&P school. I could have been a PA by now, and gainfully employed. I never regretted the patients I had the privilege of meeting in O&P. It's terrible that they are ultimately the ones who will suffer from the semantics of the field. I am currently employed part time, in a field not related to healthcare, but I am hoping to change that to increase my patient care hours. I was crippled by student debt, and I am terrified I am going to lose my home.

I suspect that PTs, OTs, physicians et al. will start overseeing O&P care, and the fabrication will be outsourced to technicians, skipping the middleman of the O&P clinician. This shift would provide better care to patients, additional revenue streams to providers, and the shut down of unscrupulous educational programs.

I wish anyone who is contemplating this field the best. It's easier if you're male, but the "star" of my class who published research before he graduated, and completed one of his residencies and passed the boards for that discipline now works in an unrelated field. He's not even in the healthcare field.

I too have heard not so great things about a large, international Prosthetics and Orthotics company, I was not impressed with their reps when I interviewed with them. A classmate of mine went through a legal battle with them over a non-compete, she did end up with a $15g raise when she switched companies.

As for the people I am still in contact with.... one is ok with her job, but would have rather gone to PT school, she only ended up in O&P because her grades were not high enough for PT. Another individual has been in the field for 20 yrs, found out she was making 10g less with the same education and experience as her male colleague. She is burnt out and over it, and is contemplating abandoning O&P and pursuing another field.

Am I bitter? Heck yes! Do I have sour grapes? Absolutely. Is what I have posted here the truth? It is, and anything I haven't personally experienced, I have verified the best I can.

Take care of yourselves. Your school won't, and your chosen field won't necessarily either.

Reactions: 1 user
Somehow I stumbled upon this thread and feel the need to assure you all that pretty much everything these people are saying is true.

I've been in O&P for almost a decade now. Started as a technician and eventually got licensed as an assistant, which required minimal education with a six month residency. I was lucky in that I was able to learn the reality of the field while holding a job and NOT wasting tens of thousands of dollars along the way. Following are some of my opinions.

I disagree that the Masters level of education is overkill (The only thing I disagree about). I just think that the schools need to do a better job of informing people what they're getting into. Y'all complain of the lack of professionalism in the field (I've seen it too, temper tantrums, name calling, sexism, blatant sexual assault—but these women can't do anything because where else will they go?), and that's exactly one of the things that a higher level of education will drive out. It will also make practitioners more competent in an evidence based, interprofessional environment. You have these grandfathered in practitioners who don't know material science, who don't know lab safety, who don't know pathology, and a Masters can resolve all of that and elevate the profession. It may actually be the only thing that saves the profession. I do agree that for most of the day to day activities, not much education is necessary and an associates and some on the job training could get you by. However, the same could be said for physicians or just about any other medical job (even surgery). The higher level of education legitimises the field, and affords practitioners the theoretical background to handle cases they've never encountered before, make innovations in treatments and designs, perform research, and understand research performed by others. O&P professionals with only associates would be useful only for the technical aspects of O&P or working under the supervision of physicians or PTs, who do have that knowledge base and theoretical background.

If you are going into O&P you should know a few more things about the logistics of the field. I've worked at an O&P residency site and many of the students that we got just didn't realize how Physician-centric our profession is. First of all we need a prescription from a physician for anything we do. Second of all, while the O&P accrediting and regulating bodies require us to document patient encounters, as far as CMS is concerned our notes count for nothing. The physician's notes must have very specific wording to justify a specific device and if that wording isn't exactly correct then the insurance won't deem the device medically necessary. Even if any person with half a brain could clearly put the patient's records together and realize that something is justified, the insurers are all about specificity (This is how a prosthetic leg can be deemed not medically necessary for an amputee). The problem is that none of that stuff is required on the physician's end (for physicians to get paid), only on ours (for us to get paid—which is not high on a physician's list of priorities). They don't know exactly what's required and they're writing the notes, we know exactly what's required but aren't allowed to write the notes (we technically do write notes, but they either don't count at all or are only used to count against us if they don't match a physicians notes. Anything the insurers can do to find discrepancies and send out that denial). It's frustrating. We are constantly calling physicians for clarification only for them to be busy, sending them letters that aren't responded to for weeks if at all, and the patient's are the ones who suffer because their treatment is stuck in limbo until everything is sorted. It's one thing to be at the mercy of the insurance companies (everyone in healthcare is) but it's another thing to be so much at the mercy of the physicians. Also, I'm pretty sure that physicians see us mostly as a nuisance and potentially a source of free food (marketing and luncheons).

If you do go into the field, at least go to Baylor so that your residency is GUARANTEED. Otherwise, shoot for any one of the myriad fields who have encroached on O&P and can technically provide orthotic and/or prosthetic devices. Physicians, PAs, NPs, podiatrists, PTs, OTs, chiropractors, naturopaths, athletic trainers, pharmacists, etc. can all supply orthotic and/or prosthetic devices depending on their specific state laws, plus they can all do SO much more.

If you're into the research aspect then there are two PhD programs in the country, probably in Rehabilitation science or something similar, that have concentrations in O&P. However, you wouldn't be able to practice clinically with these.

Last edited:
November 2015 Update

33% of my class is either unemployed, unemployed in the field or was unable find one or both residencies, the number may be even higher, I am not in touch with all of my cohort.

One student's husband was diagnosed with a terminal illness after she graduated. She asked one of her clinical directors, who is now head of the O&P program, for help finding work to support her husband. The director said "good luck."

Two female students were diagnosed with breast cancer around the same time after graduating from the program. I believe this was due to unsafe conditions in our lab. There may be more victims I am unaware of.

Thank you for your honesty all. I was very seriously considering to start taking prerequisite courses to apply to a masters program in Prosthetics & Orthotics. I've been exposed to this field personally for my son's needs. It seemed like it would be such a rewarding career to help others. Thank you for the true insight of the realities of this career. I am sadden to learn the reality of this career path. I will not continue to try to purse this field.

I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread.

First off, I am a recent gradute of a MSPO program and currently an Orthotic Resident Im very fortunate to have received this opportunity as I understamd how hard it is just to get your foot in the door im this field. Unfortunately, the deeper I get into field the more I find out how cut throat this field actually is. As I near the end of my Orthotics residency I'm finding how unstable the career climate is. Most companies (especially small companies) are safe guarding themselves by hiring experienced orthotist and prosthetist leaving little room for new graduates who have spent thousands on a dream degree they were sold while perusing a career in O and P. I was sold the dream too only to find out how limited the opportunities are.

In order to be successful in this field you most definitely need to know how to sell yourself but also the products you will provide. Also, understand that you are more than likely are going to have to relocate to cities that were not part of the "plan". Some successful practioners I know with experience I had to relocate to different STATES to find another job.

O and P is not well respected in the healthcare field either. Constantly get referred to as the "brace guy" or "leg guys"

If I could do it all over again I would most definitely have chosen a different path. I feel like I've invested to much money and time to turn around now. I have high hopes the field will make a change in a different direction for the better.

Thank you to everyone who has already posted and shared their insight of the current status of O & P. I am an undergraduate student in my last couple years of completing my B.Sc. (Hons) in Kinesiology in Canada. By chance, I was exposed to this field in my first year of university, fell in love, and have been working relentlessly to make myself the ideal candidate by working in clinics, volunteering with parasport organizations, and even working in a biomedical engineering lab as a research assistant in order to get some technical background. I have more recently been having my doubts based on what I have seen in the emerging tech fields such as 3D printing as well the increasing budget cuts healthcare in general appears to be experiencing, here in Canada as well. I understand that the overall consensus was to advise against pursuing this field in the US, but I wondered if anyone had any insight (even if it was indirectly through some colleagues perhaps) on the scenario for your neighbour up North? Is it quite similar? Feeling the need to be realistic with my options, I have begun looking at application requirements in other medical fields such as OT and PT, but my original passion truly lies in prosthetics. Is there really no hope of the field changing for the better in terms of job security and respect as a professional by other healthcare providers?

Thank you for your time; I greatly appreciate any comments.

Thank you to everyone who has already posted and shared their insight of the current status of O & P. I am an undergraduate student in my last couple years of completing my B.Sc. (Hons) in Kinesiology in Canada. By chance, I was exposed to this field in my first year of university, fell in love, and have been working relentlessly to make myself the ideal candidate by working in clinics, volunteering with parasport organizations, and even working in a biomedical engineering lab as a research assistant in order to get some technical background. I have more recently been having my doubts based on what I have seen in the emerging tech fields such as 3D printing as well the increasing budget cuts healthcare in general appears to be experiencing, here in Canada as well. I understand that the overall consensus was to advise against pursuing this field in the US, but I wondered if anyone had any insight (even if it was indirectly through some colleagues perhaps) on the scenario for your neighbour up North? Is it quite similar? Feeling the need to be realistic with my options, I have begun looking at application requirements in other medical fields such as OT and PT, but my original passion truly lies in prosthetics. Is there really no hope of the field changing for the better in terms of job security and respect as a professional by other healthcare providers?

Thank you for your time; I greatly appreciate any comments.
If you just try to make connections beforehand and have a residency and maybe a job lined up ahead of time, then go for it. There just isn't a good residency match system in place like there is for MDs, you may be provided with a list of companies that might be offering residencies and it would be up to you to cold call them to find a site. Like I said though, if you go to Baylor in Texas then your residency is guranteed.

I don't see 3D printing becoming a serious threat to prosthetics for quite some time. They can print some cool stuff, but it's pretty much all very temporary. They could maybe get away with an upper extremity prosthesis if it weren't gonna be used very much, but the current 3D printing plastics simply aren't durable in real situations. However, the 3D printing industry has seen what a few clever kids can print in their garages and are trying to push it into the O&P industry. They're at like every trade show and meeting these days, but I still haven't seen anything printed that's anything more than a fancy paperweight that breaks if you look at it too hard. I certainly wouldn't avoid O&P for fear that people will just print their own devices...that's simply not gonna happen anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
If you just try to make connections beforehand and have a residency and maybe a job lined up ahead of time, then go for it. There just isn't a good residency match system in place like there is for MDs, you may be provided with a list of companies that might be offering residencies and it would be up to you to cold call them to find a site. Like I said though, if you go to Baylor in Texas then your residency is guranteed.

I don't see 3D printing becoming a serious threat to prosthetics for quite some time. They can print some cool stuff, but it's pretty much all very temporary. They could maybe get away with an upper extremity prosthesis if it weren't gonna be used very much, but the current 3D printing plastics simply aren't durable in real situations. However, the 3D printing industry has seen what a few clever kids can print in their garages and are trying to push it into the O&P industry. They're at like every tarde show and meeting these days, but I still haven't seen anything printed that's anything more than a fancy paperweight that breaks if you look at it too hard. I certainly wouldn't avoid O&P for fear that people will just print their own devices...that's simply not gonna happen anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Thank you for your reply Bobtheweazel, I truly value your insight! All the best.

I'm surprised to see this thread is still going, but I guess it's a good thing to get the word out to those who are interested in this field. Bobtheweazel, I agree with you that having a Master's degree will infuse higher caliber professionals into the field and elevate the integrity of it. The only problem is with the cost of education now, who will want to knowingly take on that expense to end up working in a job that pays very little and is completely unstable? I found myself in that exact situation. Took on the large debt to get into the field and ended up making about 40K with no real prospect of a significant raise anywhere in the near future, and constantly wondering if I might be let go all together. Even with being certified in both O and P. I think that if people start finding out about the true reality of the field they will run from it due to the cost. Why go into this when you can spend the same amount of money on education in a different field and be far better off?

What you said about being at the mercy of the docs is so true. We not only rely on them for scripts, but detailed notes as well (I actually had a co-worker have a doc refuse to give him notes because "he doesn't get paid to do that" as he stated!). And that's IF you manage to convince them to refer to you. They absolutely see us as nothing more than a nuisance. I think for me personally, this is the biggest problem I have with the field. I think I'm a pretty good practitioner. I do well with all of my patients, PT's I work with like me, I have good hand skills, am organized, yet I feel like none of that matters. I feel that it's all about finding the next referral source. I am not a salesman. I don't have the personality to schmooze and put on a show to convince people to send business my way. I definitely didn't get into the field to do anything like that, yet it seems for some reason that is all that these O and P companies want their practitioners to be. To me it seems that these companies should have what would equate to drug reps for drug companies. The reps go out and sell the products the chemists produce. These O and P companies need reps to go out and do the selling and let the practitioners do what they were trained for, serve the patients! Yet it seems to be that every company around me wants the practitioners to be clinical specialists, technicians and salesmen all at the same time. I just don't get it. I would like to think it would be much more beneficial to the practice to have a seasoned sales person securing new referral sources rather than having the orthotists and prosthetists dabble in it. I'm sure it has to do with budgeting but it's very frustrating, and not at all what I signed up for.

All that being said, I think anyone still intent on pursuing the field would be much better off becoming a technician. In the past I think the pay gap from a tech to a practitioner would have been fairly wide, but now probably not as great seeing what I know you will make as a new practitioner. You may not get to have all of the patient interaction but you will still be very hands on in creating the devices, plus be kept out of the numbers game that practitioners are held to. Plus the education requirement (and costs associated) is much lower. Either that or go into some sort of biomedical engineering program and try to find a focus on prosthetics if you can. That way you will be involved in designing the latest tech in the field.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, my last post here was in 2014... how the years have flown. I always had this thread at the back of my mind, as well as the words of prosthetists I've shadowed, but I didn't want to accept that I would run into trouble after graduation. Now that I'm a couple semesters away from my undergraduate degree and the stress is building up, I decided to contact some the of the recent residents listed on ncope.org in my state about this. About 90% of them mirrored what was said in this thread, and I was both crushed and inspired. I heard a story about a woman who had never received her raise after certification, work given over to orthotic fitters, etc... It's really sad that many of these people enjoy the job but regret getting a master's degree for it. I would love to simply work as a technician, but at this point in my college career, I feel as though I have the potential to come out with a higher degree to get a better salary and enjoyability.

I'm now looking toward PA school, luckily the only big hurdle I'll need to take while switching goals is that I need actual patient care experience. I hope to use the shadowing and volunteering I experienced in O&P. I have still yet to shadow a PA, so we'll see... but so far it looks neat.

Thank you for illuminating some of the recent issues for me.

I’ve been following this thread for a couple of years now. I’d thought I’d share my experience with the o&p field from someone who wants to be a technician. I went for an associated in prosthetics technology from Century College in White Bear Lake MN. The things I’ve seen from my prospective seem a little more positive than some of the posters here.

Other than NOT being able to find a job in the O&P field I’d say I’ve had good experiences with O&P. The teachers at Century are some of the nicest in the world and do a good job of instructing you with the material, the classes are self-paced and are all hands on shop classes. The techniques and materials used are obsolete but help build good thinking/hands on skills which will never be out of date. Unlike other schools I have researched the Orthotics and Prosthetics portions are separate as opposed to being combined like the other curriculums from the schools I’ve researched.

The only thing they aren’t very good is, is job placement after graduation (most schools stink in this regard). All you are left with is a handful of job postings in the back of Edge Magazine, O&P (mostly what edge magazine has), and online job boards like indeed, monster, career builder, etc. There isn’t enough listings for techs to absorb one graduating class let alone several! The postings are scattered around the country so either be prepared to move or wait until something opens up in you desired area.

The only people hired out of school either knew someone or got lucky and snagged a job off a listing from Edge (for what I thought was insultingly low pay although the area is low CoL). I’ve done mostly cold e-mails, and apply to Hanger Clinic locations to no avail. I’m currently employed in a field that is NOT O&P while waiting for something in my area to open up.

I’d say only pursue the field if you have a job, or residency lined up ahead of time. I DON’T regret my attempts at getting into this field I just wish I knew it wasn’t the guaranteed gig in healthcare I thought it would be.

I also see they are offering a Bachelor’s in O&P I think this is a mistake as you can’t practice with a BS only a masters, and if you just want to be a tech you can get an AS or just be hired off the street. If you want to be on the bachelors level get it in something else (STEM) then go for your masters later on.

At the end of the day go for what you really want DON’T get career advice soley off an internet message board like this one. If I did that I’d be a truck driving, nursing, petroleum engineer. lol

This thread is a good illustration of review bias - the only practitioners/residents/students visiting a site like this are likely disgruntled. All the satisfied ones are busy serving patients and/or enjoying life.

As a relatively young CPO; I've been happy in this field and would recommend it. But I fit the important criteria below. If you do too, I'm sure you'll find the field rewarding.

If you are passionate about: patient care, ortho, engineering, design, technology, small business, you'll really enjoy it. It really is the only field out there combining engineering and health care. You have to like products, materials, and design, as much as you like serving patients. Otherwise there are likely easier* professions.

Sure, you have to hustle to secure a residency. Isn't that the case with most in-demand jobs? Sure, you have to be financially literate to avoid thousands of dollars of debt. Isn't that the case with all grad-programs?

The bottom-line is there are a large number of friendly, passionate, caring, and smart O&P professionals spending almost all of their time seeing patients and charting.

CPOs do seem to be considered low on the healthcare totem pole, but if you enjoy what you do from a service perspective, who cares? Same goes for providing inservices and marketing. You can think of it as sales calling, or you can approach it from a perspective of professional education. One commenter expressed dissatisfaction with being called a "leg guy". Why don't you work to change that? Physical Therapists, Dentists, and other privatized professionals all spend time marketing. How is O&P any different?

If you'd prefer to work in a hospital or large medical clinic setting, if professional hierarchy is important to you, and if you don't have any interest in design and technology, then I'd probably recommend becoming a medical provider.

But I and most of my colleagues are very content in the field, and I'd recommend it.

* The easier professions likely have a professional body that is more organized - helping with regulation, licensure, and other professional matters. The O&P body has some catching up to do here.

Last edited:
I just stumbled upon this thread and I am taking some major steps back. I am in the process of applying to schools right now and after reading this thread, I really am questioning whether I should even try to go with this career. I thought I was set to go into this but based on the people who say that many are unemployed after grad schools or on the verge of being fired, I really think I should perhaps switch my focus onto PT... I am applying for biomed in all of my schools so far but hope I can go somewhere to help people and see patients or at least work with them. Based on this I might have a better chance to go into PT unless there is a better option with sciences / engineering + healthcare. Any feedback, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated!

I have been following this thread for several years and I thought I could contribute to the discussion for anyone else who might happen on it.

I am a CPO that has been working in the field for almost 5 years. I got my masters from one of the more reputable programs about 5 years ago, did my residencies, and have been certified for 2-3 years. I decided to chime in both as a contribution as a way of venting. I appreciated Corland's voice of positivity in this overwhelmingly negative thread. That being said, I think many of the negative comments stated here are a decent reflection of the field, and many people I know who work in O&P have similarly negative feelings, including myself. It's not all bad, but I find myself seriously questioning my decision to go into this field.

Job content:

Being a prosthetist is a very interesting job, and pure prosthetists are often paid a decent salary. You get to work with people who truly need your help, see them develop from really not functional to a higher level of function, depending on their potential. Designing and building prostheses is a lot of fun, and working with prosthetic patients usually is too. While the field was a little less hands-on than I had wanted (i.e., other people are fabricating the devices, not you), you can try to find your own level of hands-on-ness, depending on where you work and how you organize yourself. Being a prosthetist is a rewarding job.

But keep something in mind: I saw a statistic somewhere that said that 1 in every 10 O&P patients is a prosthetic patient. The other 9 are orthotic patients. And of those 9, only 1-2 are custom orthotic patients. meaning 7-8 out of every 10 patients that need to be seen only require some off the shelf, prefab item, that you are fitting to them. Whether that's a wrist splint, or a walking boot, or some back brace, most patients seen by a CPO could be seen by a high school graduate with a little training. So all the skill and talent you have is really gone to waste seeing this mass of patients that could probably get these things on Amazon. Orthotics as a field really developed in the 50s and 60s in the wake of the polio epidemic. The orthotists of those days made most brace by hand, patient by patient. This required a lot of ingenuity and craftsmanship, which I think is what attracts people to the field. But those patients now are few and far between, and we as CPOs get stuck with an ocean of patients that require such low-skill-required services that it feels really demeaning and like I'm wasting my potential. Prosthetics almost always requires this ingenuity, but again, 1 out of every 10 patients...

So what happens is that you have a lot of CPOs that are seeing these patients because the same contract that allows a company to provide prosthetics also stipulates that we see all these other DME items. So so many of us younger CPOs are used as grunts to see the stuff no one else wants to see and is very boring, and should indeed be done by someone right out of high school. In the same way, we cannot make ourselves more skilled or more valuable by doing the 'garbage work,' as a former boss of mine said, so we stagnate and cannot advance. Because of the size of the field, it becomes very difficult to get into that 1/10 prosthetist role.

I found myself stagnated, but then got an opportunity to move to a Big City for a prosthetics-only role. I did that for 2 years, and it was awesome. Not once did I question my career during those 2 years. Every day I was working on interesting cases with a great mentor, and I loved my job. But my wife and I had to move from a Small City that we loved, to a Big City that we ended up hating. Eventually we said that the job wasn't worth living there, so we moved back to Small City. Despite the skills I learned in those 2 years, there is no need for a prosthetist right now where I'm at, there is too much competition, so although I'm skilled, I'm back to doing garbage work. It just goes to show you that your experience and skill is only as useful as a job opportunity, and in this field, interesting opportunities are few and far between. It took my 6 months to find a job back in Small City. And employability is an important factor when considering a career. In this field, you have to be willing to move to far-away places to do what you want to do, which is not an attractive aspect of it. I didn't have a hard time getting my first residency/job, or even my transfer to Big City, but coming back to where I wanted to be was hard. People do speak out of both sides of their mouth. People will say that they need practitioners, they can't afford to fire anyone, its hard to find qualified people, and yet you'll also hear that your average CPO is replaceable in a second. I'm still not sure what to make of that.

Pay:

This is the biggest difficulty in this field. The fact that you need a master's degree to become a certified practitioner now is insane. I agree this is degree creep of the highest order, and is perpetrated by the schools themselves in an effort to get more austerity. This would be fine if salaries kept up with the cost of schooling, but they are not keeping up. In my case, my master's cost me 38k, which was the cheapest program in the country at the time. Now that same school is charging over 70k, just 5 years later. When I got out of school, I started at 36k as a resident, in one of the most expensive areas of the county to live in. After my first residency I got a 5k bump. After the second one, I got another 5k, with the promise of getting even another 5k after I was fully certified. This put me at 51k. I had been making 50k at a biotech company before going into O&P. Now with an MS and a CPO, I was making 50k again? What? I had to negotiate a raise when I moved to big city, I managed to get myself up to 60k. While there, I got a competing job offer and leveraged it to get up to 75k with my current employer. Many of my friends who did not move around are still hanging around the 50-60k salary. This is simply not acceptable based on how expensive the education is, and what you're capable of doing with the education you earn. The culture of the field is that if you have less than 5-10 years of experience, you're basically useless, and therefore not worth paying. Getting to a 100k+ salary is extremely difficult for those of us within the first 5-10 years, even in the most expensive placed to live, where 100k still is barely enough to afford rent responsibly. There are other masters programs whos graduates come out of school at well over 100k, i.e. hospital management, electrical engineering, computer science, etc. Or PA school. The return on investment for O&P is depressingly low compared to other options. But often students at 22-24 years old are more concerned with "doing something you love" than making their own personal finances work. What a lot of us find out us that we end up not doing something we love for very little pay. Its a bad combination that myself and many friends of mine are trying to cope with.

So if you are willing to move away from friends and family to somewhere you've never lived, and willing to move multiple times, then perhaps you can do well in this field. But this is a high price to pay when there are many other fields that are more attractive, with higher pay and more numerous job opportunities. I am considering now doing something else with myself, as I don't want to wait for all the old prosthetists to retire so I can step into their shoes. This will likely take far longer than I want to wait to enjoy my job and make a respectable salary. It's a shame. I love working in prosthetics - I love the craftsmanship, the patient care, the trial and error, even some of the business stuff can be fun (balancing your costs vs your revenue can be fun if its not the entirety of your job). Already having spent time and money on one useless master's degree, I'm trying not to make the same mistake twice. The skills you have in O&P are not easily transferable to another field, but many people that I know are trying to find a way out to a better paying situation. I imagine something will have to change as more 5-10 year experience practitioners exit the field in search for more pay, but I don't know if I want to wait around for that.

There is so much to say on the subject but I've already written so much. It feels good to vent. I enjoyed the 2 good years I had, but if I could go back in time and change my choices, I probably would. If you're a student considering this field, I would not go into this. Despite its positives, I think there is more fruit to be found in a different tree.

Reactions: 3 users
2019 update
60% of the people I graduated with are unemployed in the field of O&P.

I am grateful to the people who have written to me over the years and who were able to use the information from this thread to make more informed choices for their future. I hope that you are happy and well and that your chosen fields are rewarding you in all ways.

I'd really like to hop in on this forum. I read this back in 2016 and could attest to most things written. There is truth in a lot of these posts.

I am a CPO that has been working in the field for almost 5 years. I got my masters from one of the more reputable programs about 5 years ago, did my residencies, and have been certified for 2-3 years. I decided to chime in both as a contribution as a way of venting. I appreciated Corland's voice of positivity in this overwhelmingly negative thread. That being said, I think many of the negative comments stated here are a decent reflection of the field, and many people I know who work in O&P have similarly negative feelings, including myself. It's not all bad, but I find myself seriously questioning my decision to go into this field.

I agree with TrueBlue here. A lot of the struggles in the field have taught me many things in life. I have been able to sustain my living thru it but it has come with struggle. If I wouldn't have had this struggle, I wouldn't be working in the place I am now, happier than I was before. When I see my friends who went into other health profession making a ton of money, I think the field hasn't been worth it. Two nursing friends are rolling in over 150k and getting to travel. In some ways, I wish I would have gone this route but I wouldn't be where I am today and I'd be working in a field that is completely undermined by everyone that works in a hospital (nursing).

Orthotics as a field really developed in the 50s and 60s in the wake of the polio epidemic. The orthotists of those days made most brace by hand, patient by patient. This required a lot of ingenuity and craftsmanship, which I think is what attracts people to the field. But those patients now are few and far between, and we as CPOs get stuck with an ocean of patients that require such low-skill-required services that it feels really demeaning and like I'm wasting my potential. Prosthetics almost always requires this ingenuity, but again, 1 out of every 10 patients...

Yes and with the speed of today's clinics, it's actually a burden to come across the patient that has the reliant chairback brace from 1981 and wants it fixed, replicated, or a new one. Clinics are set up like McDonald's drive thru to get people in and out and not spend more than five minutes with any one situation, unless you're making prosthetics. Most doctors want to perform some type of procedure. They can't do it unless all other means of treatment have failed. They prescribe pills, physical therapy, and bracing but aren't concerned if it works because, if it doesn't, surgery is warranted.

If you are going into O&P you should know a few more things about the logistics of the field. I've worked at an O&P residency site and many of the students that we got just didn't realize how Physician-centric our profession is. First of all we need a prescription from a physician for anything we do. Second of all, while the O&P accrediting and regulating bodies require us to document patient encounters, as far as CMS is concerned our notes count for nothing. The physician's notes must have very specific wording to justify a specific device and if that wording isn't exactly correct then the insurance won't deem the device medically necessary. Even if any person with half a brain could clearly put the patient's records together and realize that something is justified, the insurers are all about specificity (This is how a prosthetic leg can be deemed not medically necessary for an amputee). The problem is that none of that stuff is required on the physician's end (for physicians to get paid), only on ours (for us to get paid—which is not high on a physician's list of priorities). They don't know exactly what's required and they're writing the notes, we know exactly what's required but aren't allowed to write the notes (we technically do write notes, but they either don't count at all or are only used to count against us if they don't match a physicians notes. Anything the insurers can do to find discrepancies and send out that denial). It's frustrating. We are constantly calling physicians for clarification only for them to be busy, sending them letters that aren't responded to for weeks if at all, and the patient's are the ones who suffer because their treatment is stuck in limbo until everything is sorted. It's one thing to be at the mercy of the insurance companies (everyone in healthcare is) but it's another thing to be so much at the mercy of the physicians. Also, I'm pretty sure that physicians see us mostly as a nuisance and potentially a source of free food (marketing and luncheons).

Again, very true and has made me want to leave the field entirely at times. On my schools website, it said O&P would be a great field with physicians, therapists, nurses, and O&P professionals working together as a team. Nope, pass the buck because of time and money crunch. Sorry to tell the truth. I'll sum it up like this. There is an entire generation of professionals (baby boomers) that are exiting this field. They all caught the end of the gravy train where insurances paid for whatever without any notes or professionalism. They are the ones attending conferences strutting their names and making big salaries, throwing off the data represented to schools. They live a comfortable life and have lots of expensive toys. You'll also hear them raging in meetings and scoffing at paying new talent coming in. They're still all jacked about ABC and BOC merge and fighting like third graders as to who knows more. They were the ones fattening up the nursing staff at the hospitals taking them donuts everyday and marrying the ones that took interest in them. They're all looking to stay at the top and play chess to stay there both for their name's sake and financially to retire.
I have not seen the money that was promised by the schools in the field, especially for small companies. I made 20k at my first training site, 20k to start at my second and had to beg to be bumped to 50k and had to work on call and excessive hours to reach 60k. I was so desperate to get away from the toxic overworked culture that I took a 10k paycut to move to another company which is proving to be a bunch of flattery about their financial situation. If you want to make money in healthcare and pay your school bills, afford a house, car, one or two vacations a year, insurance, food, etc, do not go into this field. Only do it if you know someone that is willing to hook you up and get you in or if you have a ton of experience already. I got into the field with a physical therapy background and little to no O&P experience. NO company has seen the benefit of me giving my two sense on physical condition. Doctors, therapists, etc get paid to make a patient's condition better even if they use conservative treatment. In my case, when I see blatant fraud that someone does not need an AFO but is being prescribed one, I will see no benefit unless I provide it. The further you get into life's debts, the more apt you'll become to make your company president happy with your numbers, so be cautious. I actually had a business owner that joked about throwing something at a motorcyclist to encourage their prosthetic business. And this person came across as "one that wanted to help people".

There is so much wrong with this field I don't even know where to begin. I guess the biggest problem is that the field is set up around a terrible business model. You are not employed by a large hospital system as a doctor, nurse, P.T., etc would be. Instead there are all of these outside O and P companies selling their services to the hospitals, private clinics, etc. so you are completely reliant on referrals from these sources to keep your business going. What this means for a practitioner is that you are essentially a salesman. Regardless of what anyone says about clinical knowledge or skill, you keeping your job is dependent solely on your numbers (how good of a salesman you are/how much business you can bring in). This is true especially at large companies like Hanger. They are known for being ruthless to their employees, who are nothing more than numbers. From my experience I can tell you that it is no different at the smaller companies either.

Truth. The small companies act like they are out for the good of the patient but they essentially have the same pressure to survive which comes with acts of ruthlessness, regardless of the smile and flattery they will give you out the gate. Also, since you are not employed and paid by the hospital, they care not at all about getting you information, paperwork, or help you whatsoever in some clinics. I found myself walking on needles asking busy staff for demographic sheets, diagnoses, or any basic information whatsoever. Since you come from the outside, there are no repercussions of treating you like trash and like "you're only out for the money". I spent most of my days chasing down information to get paid etc rather than getting down to the science of helping people. Again, in school you have this delusion that your days will be filled around a discussion table engineering products and treatments. This happens in 20% of each business and usually it's the people in control over their time. Unless you know someone pulling strings for you, you'll be tossed in a closet somewhere in a hospital fitting cam walkers and having your boss play manipulative games on supplying what you need only because the staff takes it and doesn't fill out paperwork when you're not there. You end up in the middle of a battle between a private company supplying doctors with what they feel should be free and a boss that is watching every penny not accounted for on their billing sheets. It's an absolute nightmare and I'd say 70% of college grads with any talent will be shuffled into this scenario to frustrate you out of the business. I worked in a city near a school with heavy saturation and they did not want any talent overstepping them in business whatsoever. They planted their powerful people in the schools to scope talent and suffocate it if you tried to stay in that area. Call me a liar, but this is exactly what happened.

The amount of information you have to know to do this job, especially in today's world with YouTube available for people to fact check you, is overwhelming. When you apply certain devices, cast people for specialized braces, or give education, the patient and family are all alert and oriented. A surgeon has their patient under anesthesia when they do their work. The patient is not watching them with extreme caution and suspicion. A lot of doctors know this too. The light eventually comes on that their prosthetist/orthotist is vastly knowledgeable and outsteps what they know about carpal tunnel surgery. Some surgeons will undermine you constantly and play their power game, again getting back to how physician centric the field is. There are plenty of doctors I would have just walked out on if it had been my business. I would have left them in the wake of their stacked schedule of people needing conservative treatment to fail before doing surgery, which is exactly what a lot of otc orthotics has become. The doctors have no hope that all these braces will conservatively treat anything, they just want it to fail so that surgery is warranted which makes they and the hospital that employs them more profitable.

I also want to quickly throw out another topic to continue on which is cadcam. Fortunately, I was able to work for a small company that did most of their own fabrication. Later, I worked for a company that still did hand fabrication, but I wasn't allowed to modify or pull sockets/orthotics, only the technicians were allowed. Lastly, I work for a company that does no fabrication whatsoever. The field is moving this way and I can understand why. I'm tired of fighting with technicians about anything outside of the box. In my last company, one of the hot head techs would lose his mind if we asked their team to make anything out of the ordinary. I understood, because they were so overworked. The field was built on specialized fabrication and attention to detail. Until now, it attracted the personality of a craftsman that makes custom furniture or works on cars/motorcycles. This is why further education is so important to weed out specific personality traits. I was around a bunch of professionals in school, but in most company tech departments you will not find mature minds talking about constructive things. Most days walking into the lab area had conversations about sports betting, sex, and the oil that was used to clean their guns.
I'd most certainly want to work with a machine that is good at making a custom prosthetic or orthotic, but they have not learned tissue compression just yet. Orthotics and prosthetics are successful if you can differentiate between a hard endpoint or soft endpoint with your tape measure and also how much relief is placed and where. If I want fibula relief, I mostly want it below the head of the fibula because the peroneal nerve is situated below the bone head. A machine has a hard time understanding this. I can't explain to a machine what my hands know how to do regarding bone reliefs, reductions, etc. We can't lose our skilled technicians, but I understand why business owners would rather replace them with a machine that doesn't start throwing things across the room when you ask it to make a socket at 430pm, right before the tech needs to be home on time for a soccer game.

I actually have more to add, I'm just tired. I hope people are still reading this, because I've only just begun =) Prosthetics and Orthotics has made me grow in so many ways. I have found a lot of positives. What I am trying to do here is warn people of the storms that will come so they are prepared. I will fully tell you right now that this field is not for someone looking to settle down in their 20s, get married, get a mortgage, and have kids. This field is really about the battle for truth. I got into this field having had four broken bones as a teenager resulting in two major surgeries in my early twenties. I've never worn a brace but have approached everything from a physical therapy standpoint. If you don't have something that really holds you into the field, you won't last. There are other things like nursing that pay 2-3x more. Nursing is definitely a hard profession but nothing like this field for the time and effort you put into it for pennies on the return. And when the doctor is screaming at you as a nurse, there are repercussions because you both work for the same employer! When the doctor screams at a third party orthotist, there will be nothing done.

I guess I'll keep adding to this post as I see daily things about the profession that one does not see from the outside. Today I am reminded of how much retail is involved in the field. We are constantly ordering and piecemealing people's orthopedic needs together. I spent a lot of time helping people shoe shop, picking out transfer paper designs, and ordering components for prosthetics. This part of the job takes a very conscientious person to remember if they ordered socks, pins, gel liners, tube clamps, pylons, waist belts, flexible inners, screws, glue, foam, buckles, rivets, etc. The human brain cannot completely comprehend everything ordered about every patient and replacing every little thing in stock so we plug it all into software systems. Therefore, instead of fabricating and making things, most practitioners end up in a battle for time. If you work in a small clinic where you do your own fab, you'll have some days where you are constantly pulled away from your work to call reps about specific products and answer telephone calls about when things will be done and ready. You have to be able to keep your mind clear and pick up where you left off in this field. You'll be typing a note and organizing materials you have to order and the phone will ring and interrupt your thought. Next you'll start typing your note again and someone will ask you details about a completely different situation which ends up in a 15-20 minute conversation. Then, just as you are about to order something, the hospital will call with an urgent request for a back brace. You'll stop charting mid chart and leave to measure the brace because "the patient is being discharged by noon tomorrow". You'll have a technician frothing at the mouth waiting for you to go cast it so they can get home, your note doesn't get finished, and your boss will be saying "tell them it can wait til tomorrow" (when in reality he'd never say that to the doctor). When you get back to the lab from measuring the tlso you will have forgotten what you were typing about patient "x" the day before and stress because you haven't poured your AFO yet to modify it, all the while dealing with the frustration and anger of your hot head technician. You'll talk with them about putting reliefs in the brace to meet the patient's needs and they'll start cussing you out. The AFO is fixated on your mind because it needs done in the next two days because AFO patient is leaving for a trip in two weeks and their health insurance runs out at the end of the month. You stay at the office late, modifying and making the AFO with the technician that is livid with you only because you are doing your work. (tomorrow they'll see the company president walking by and smile and ask them how they hockey game went last night (free tickets from Dr. SO and SO) You work in completely silence, avoiding any more burden on them because they are already missing their son's basketball game. This is where the story gets good. All that stress made you completely forget about the first patient so you didn't finish your note nor did you order anything for them. That patient calls in two days asking how things are proceeding and your front office person says "so and so is on the phone inquiring about the status of their device but I didn't see a finished note and you didn't order anything". You stand there trying not to boil over because of the mad chaos that ensued that day but has now calmed and they're looking at you like you are a complete waste of a brain. You'll feel completely exhausted because the tlso at the hospital didn't fit right because the technician didn't hear you out on what you wanted. At that moment you'll want to quit but you are still paying for your loans, car, apartment, etc on the 20k they are paying you. I think you get my point.
Yes, this has happened to me and variations of all different type of scenarios. If you work in a city that has very busy clinics, you will be interrupted daily but it will still be your responsibility to not forget ANYTHING, EVER...This situation happened a lot less 30-40 years ago because you weren't pushed to have your cell phone on you at all times and noting/dictation was barely existent. It's different now and a very different game for the new people coming in versus the people retiring. I worked in a place where the older men and women that couldn't figure out email or their phones for on-call work were allowed to slide by while the young people took hard hits if they didn't answer a text or phone call immediately. The one's in control of their time can stack those coming into the field with amounts of work that they simply cannot handle. When you have time to do things, you won't need it. When you need time to do things, you won't have even a minute to spare. Yes, this comes with all professions, but I want to warn you about how it can happen in O&P.

Last edited:
Here's another situation of owners talking out both sides of their mouth. In medicine within a hospital, most of your rules are followed as a standard. In O&P, it's all gray area and is usually at the discretion of the business owner if they see a profit in helping someone. As someone who has worked for others and has never owned a business, I was always told not to touch a brace from another company. Because of warranty and lawsuits and the fact that it ends up in a lot of free work, it can end up messy. I had a patient call about working on a brace from another company and I said we could not do it. Well, she ended up calling back and talked to the owner and he said "come on in!" which makes me look like a complete idiot and like I don't know anything. Again, not only is the field physician-centric, but it is also owner-centric.