allied professional going into pm&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firelambo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would an allied professional such as podiatrist, chiropractor, physical therapist or athletic trainer applying for PM&R be viewed favorably by program program directors? My assumption is due to the fact these profession have musculoskeletal or rehab components. Anyone have any experience or personal anecdotes? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean AFTER you go to and complete medical school? No one goes straight into PM&R from those fields you listed.

And sure, why not. Doesn't hurt to have prior background.

I’ve know PTs and chiropractors who went into PM&R. I’m sure it helped them but I’m also pretty confident that they were also competitive outside of their work experience

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this was assuming after they completed med school. Thank you guys for your input!

It depends on the exact field.
For instance, I trained with and under several former physical therapists. Most program directors would look favorably on such applicants.

In the same vein, podiatrists are physicians. They're basically specialized surgeons. Having completed a podiatry residency is going to demonstrate professional and academic rigor, which is going to be a plus.

Athletic trainer is mostly going to be a neutral thing. It might at most suggest that you're likely to be interested in sports medicine, which is just one aspect among many withing the PM&R field.

But you're going to get a lot of raised eyebrows if you're a chiropractor or naturopath applying to med school. Your interviewers are going to view your discipline as based in charlatanism, and they won't be wrong to do so. If you're considering some other career before med school, I'd advise something grounded in empirical evidence.

Thank you Lejeunesage for your input! That makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: 1 user