What's the deal with foreign grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheon

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are so many residency programs preferential to American grads over foreign grads? I have heard a rumor that government subsidies are different for foreign residents versus American trained residents. Is this why?

Members don't see this ad.

Sheon said:
Why are so many residency programs preferential to American grads over foreign grads? I have heard a rumor that government subsidies are different for foreign residents versus American trained residents. Is this why?

Pretty much, yeah.

Sheon said:

You mean why are so many American residency programs giving preferential treatment? As opposed to IMGs/FMGs getting preference, or all applicants being treated the same way?

This is a joke right? America has more foreign doctors than any other nation, BY FAR. Over 30% of all residents in the US are foreigners.

Dont give me this crap about how America is unfair to foreigners. We take in more of them than any other nation on EARTH.

MacGyver said:
This is a joke right? America has more foreign doctors than any other nation, BY FAR. Over 30% of all residents in the US are foreigners.

Dont give me this crap about how America is unfair to foreigners. We take in more of them than any other nation on EARTH.

Yah, if you are American trying fekking getting a residency in India. No chance...

Fermata said:
They're funded by American tax dollars.

I'm sorry....no pity for you.

It's not the FMG suffering from a reduced government subsidy. It's the patients at the end of the day. For every one dollar not earned, one dollar is not spent on something which benefits patients. Unless you are trying to argue that hospitals do not spend their money to benefit patients?

The money spent on training a resident is fixed, unless you think that hospitals give less training to FMG residents. Therefore the deficit has to be swallowed by some other aspect of patient care.

MacGyver said:

The number is pretty high in Australia too. I can't put a figure on it though.

Purifyer said:
It's not the FMG suffering from a reduced government subsidy. It's the patients at the end of the day. For every one dollar not earned, one dollar is not spent on something which benefits patients. Unless you are trying to argue that hospitals do not spend their money to benefit patients?

The money spent on training a resident is fixed, unless you think that hospitals give less training to FMG residents. Therefore the deficit has to be swallowed by some other aspect of patient care.

It was in regards to preference given in choosing residents.

MacGyver said:

Per capita, Scandinavia is probably up there, too.

I think a 'dsilike' of foreign trained doctors is probably indemic through out the world. if you take graduates trained from your own country they are more of a known quantity than someone from overseas. Therefore doctors from India know what to expect from a doctor from India, one from Australia from Australian trained and US from US trained. And of course then there come elements like how well will they fit in, do they know our culture etc. It's a complex issue and I think you have to accept that if you want to go a country other than where you trained that these types of issues are part of the price you pay, no matter where you trained or where you're going.

Sessamoid said:
Since when does Scandinavia have legalized pot?

Weren't you aware that most of europe was recently amalgamated into one amorphous mass to make it easier for Americans to make sweeping generalisations? :laugh:

I'm actually with Mac on this one. (I never thought I would type these words, but I am!)

Purifyer said:
Weren't you aware that most of europe was recently amalgamated into one amorphous mass to make it easier for Americans to make sweeping generalisations? :laugh:
I wasn't aware there were any prerequisites for Americans making sweeping generalizations.

BTW, if you think about it, that statement is internally consistent.

bigfrank said:
I'm actually with Mac on this one. (I never thought I would type these words, but I am!)

you're either with me, or you're with the terrorists! :laugh:

MacQyver, this is Dr.Jed Hill speaking: while you're wasting time with foolish foreign med issues, you've overlooked your duties as CRNA watchdog...MDA's will soon not be needed! bwahahahahaahahaha