What's the average percentage of female anesthesiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emily2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to know whether this field is actually friendly to females?

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the input!

In an all male group, it is 0%. In a all female group, it is 100%. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the input!

I suspect that most programs are friendly to females. I have known several female (and male) residents who were not friendly to their programs for a variety of reasons. If by friendly to females, you mean that they put the female resident's family commitments ahead of the males, or that they let the females off earlier or assign them fewer weekends, or have lower expectations for the females due to maternity leave or whatever else, you may not find these friendly programs.

Residents (male or female) who have a sense of entitlement and place their needs above all of their colleagues will not be well-liked anywhere.

However, I think most programs treat their female residents as equals and enjoy recruiting hard working, highly motivated female residents.

5/20, because my director don't like female. wuxi china

it seems that in china there's this problem with being female and getting a good position in the area of their interest....I've heard many of my classmates and friends and even some employers who said that the employers prefer male employees....one of the reasons being productivity issues, ie maternity leave and family issues....:(

it seems that in china there's this problem with being female and getting a good position in the area of their interest....I've heard many of my classmates and friends and even some employers who said that the employers prefer male employees....one of the reasons being productivity issues, ie maternity leave and family issues....:(

What is wrong with that?

Why would a business want to hire a female, who has maternity leave and family issues, more likely to work part-time etc... This all costs the business money.

A male is much less likely to take time off, go part-time etc... thus it will make the business more money.

What is wrong with that?

Why would a business want to hire a female, who has maternity leave and family issues, more likely to work part-time etc... This all costs the business money.

A male is much less likely to take time off, go part-time etc... thus it will make the business more money.

I hate to break it to you but men also get time off for maternity leave when there wives have babies. When I was a resident, every single male anesthesia staff members took off a significant amount of time when their wife had a kid. Dude, I hope that your wife doesn't end up getting pregnant and subsequently get laid off of her job because of it. Women have babies all of the time and still come back to work and work full time. Anyone, male or female, can have family issues.

5/20, because my director don't like female. wuxi china

That is 25% which is not far below the average. One or two more females in the match and your program would be within the nationwide average. I don't know of anyone who can predict the match well enough to ensure what ratio of males and females they will have in their residency. The other part of the equation is that the female residents need to want to come to the program. You can rank your first 10 on your list as females, but if none of them want to come to your program, you will have a low percentage of female residents.
Therefore, just because 5/20 of your residents are female, I don't think you can logically assume that your program director "don't like female."