"What's so great about Dermatology?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TEN? SJS? Pemphigus? Melanoma? - The real heroes are Surgery, Infectious Disease, and Oncology. Derm is back at their clinic "popping pimples".

this is such a dumb statement. What about other physicians involved with cancer... pathologists? radiologists? anesthesia?

It's attitudes like that, especially ones I see in surgery for example, which drive very intelligent students to other fields.

Even though I have no interest at all in derm, I still see their great contributions to patient care. Yeah they aren't in the trauma bay or cutting a lung mass out of a person. Who cares? From what I understand they are involved with treatment of diseases and conditions though not always deadly can be very debilitating physicially, mentally, and socially. I fully appreciate them mainly because they are helping patients in ways that are sometimes difficult to measure, even if they are in the field for other reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

if you want equally great (potentially more) pay, great hours, more interesting material (to me) and have a great influence on pt's lives, check out sleep medicine where you can open up your own sleep clinic

its only a 1 yr fellowship from neuro, pulm, psych, etc

if you want equally great (potentially more) pay, great hours, more interesting material (to me) and have a great influence on pt's lives, check out sleep medicine where you can open up your own sleep clinic

its only a 1 yr fellowship from neuro, pulm, psych, etc

yeah sleep med is pretty cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here comes Substance with wisdom

The thang about derm is that it is ballin'

Let's not consider lifestyle or money at all right now. Let's just consider the rest of the field.

So there. Lifestyle and money are not being considered. What is considered is that:

1. Autonomy: as derm, you run your own clinic. No admins. No unionized siphons. No "team" dynamic. You are the boss.

2. Respect: Few people know what you know. You are the expert. You are the final word on something that nobody else knows anything about.

3. Respect(part 2): Since you are so rare, you get to call the shots on your hospital call contracts. Not the other way around.

4. Satisfaction: Your patients want to get better more often than not. You can't see HTN. You can't NOT see psoriasis. Beauty is skin deep. Patients don't care about 145/95.

There are more, but I have to go do things.

And BTW I'm not derm. I'm a Canadian who wishes he figured it out earlier.

Last edited:
Derm, the bailout specialty...for the ppl who wanna hit the reset button. Nobody is stupid enough to believe that you're doing it because for your love of the skin.

You're not being serious are you? I'm perusing derm because I do love the skin. I'm quite fascinated with it. You're better off leaving some comments in your head. -_-

herp derp

Last edited:
You make good points. There are other specialties that are very competitive and afford you a good lifestyle. However, nothing in medicine hits the combo of high pay for least amount of hours worked while not having to deal with other BS like derm, and that is what draws people to it. Once again, nothing wrong with going for derm, but those who pursue it should just be honest about it and try not to BS their colleagues and make it seem like they are providing an invaluable service to society.

Their service is invaluable to those with skin conditions. Maybe if you had a problem with your skin, you would appreciate derm more. I am entering the field- not because of money (you can make more in BUSINESS!), but because the skin fascinates me. I grew up with a very noticeable skin condition and went to the dermatologist countless times per year. My dermatologists provided INVALUABLE service to me! Its one thing to look on from the outside. However, when you are the one suffering from a skin condition, its a WHOLE different story. It is not vain to be concerned about the way your skin looks, its called wanting to look normal. Dermatologists go through the SAME medical education as every other doctor (sans the residency - which makes it it's own specialty). I am completely tired of people not respecting the decision to be a dermatologist. You have NO idea what draws people to their different specialties, so maybe you should just ask them instead of assuming that they are BSing the world.

:oops:)

Lol...dating a model now

You, sir, are a hero.

In other news, I found my derm placement so fckin dull I wanted to eat my own elbow at the end of it. Personally, I would rather open a chest, stick a tube down, inject some cool drug etc but each to his own.

Their service is invaluable to those with skin conditions. Maybe if you had a problem with your skin, you would appreciate derm more. I am entering the field- not because of money (you can make more in BUSINESS!), but because the skin fascinates me. I grew up with a very noticeable skin condition and went to the dermatologist countless times per year. My dermatologists provided INVALUABLE service to me! Its one thing to look on from the outside. However, when you are the one suffering from a skin condition, its a WHOLE different story. It is not vain to be concerned about the way your skin looks, its called wanting to look normal. Dermatologists go through the SAME medical education as every other doctor (sans the residency - which makes it it's own specialty). I am completely tired of people not respecting the decision to be a dermatologist. You have NO idea what draws people to their different specialties, so maybe you should just ask them instead of assuming that they are BSing the world.

We DO ask them, and the responses that we get overtly reek of BS.

All except this one -

Here comes Substance with wisdom

The thang about derm is that it is ballin'

Let's not consider lifestyle or money at all right now. Let's just consider the rest of the field.

So there. Lifestyle and money are not being considered. What is considered is that:

1. Autonomy: as derm, you run your own clinic. No admins. No unionized siphons. No "team" dynamic. You are the boss.

2. Respect: Few people know what you know. You are the expert. You are the final word on something that nobody else knows anything about.

3. Respect(part 2)Since you are so rare, you get to call the shots on your hospital call contracts. Not the other way around.

4. Satisfaction: Your patients want to get better more often than not. You can't see HTN. You can't NOT see psoriasis. Beauty is skin deep. Patient's don't care about 145/95.

There are more, but I have to go do things.

And BTW I'm not derm. I'm a Canadian who wishes he figured it out earlier.

Reactions: 1 users
This new generation of students (2017 and onward) are ALL ABOUT LIFESTYLE. So expect any specialty with even the slightest lifestyle attributes to get a bump in competitiveness.

Reactions: 1 user