what's passing for step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flipflopsnsnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just did an nbme exam and got 183.
my test is in one week. and i dont think you can ask for a 2nd extension and mine runs out at the end of the month.

any last minute study tips to ensure i pass?:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Did you do USMLE World?

While you cannot apply for a second extention, you can apply again with a brand new application (but you have to pay the full application fee).

Do not take the exam if you think you are not ready.

Again, did you do USMLE World?

Good Luck.

yes i have been doing world.
lately i have been doing just subject specific exams and getting somewhere around 50% i think, depending on the subject.
i am going to do more random exams tomorrow.

really? you can re-apply and take it later?
hmm....tempting idea

really? you can re-apply and take it later?

Yes you can. Call the NBME (or the ECFMG if you are an IMG) on Monday to get the specifics. I think you will have to cancel your current exam date, and then wait for a certain amount of time before you can send a brand new application with the full original exam fee. Call them on Monday.

USMLE World is a VERY GOOD resource. An average of 50% is OK, but still risky with an exam just one week away. Keep doing USMLE World, and read the expainations for each question.

What are your other resources?

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, looked at prometric and it told me it was too late to modify my test date --- without the hefty fees. and so, with that fee plus the reapply fee.... yeah, looks like one week away is the day for me no matter what. all i want to do is pass, but i wish i had a teeny bit of room for comfort going into the test.

i am using world and first aid sorta and secrets.

i just dont know what to do in the next few days that is high yield.

hmm....:confused:

Yes, you will have to pay a cancellation fee + the full new application fee. You CAN postpone the exam (by sending a new application) but it will be expensive.

I really recommend just paying the cancellation fee and sending in a new application.

...But If you really do not want to spend the money on the new application (plus the cancellation fee), and if you really have to take it in one week then this is what I would do:

-Pick one (1) slim comprehensive reveiw book that you used for your studies before...You mentioned FA and Secrets. Pick one that you are most comfortable with.

-Divide the day so that you spend half of the day doing UW questions (random, timed), and the other half of the day reviewing the review book of your choice.

If you decide to take it in one week, You have to booster you confidence level (very important).

Having said that, I still recommend just paying the extra money, and postpone your exam date.

Other people here might have better ideas.

Good Luck.

just did an nbme exam and got 183.
my test is in one week. and i dont think you can ask for a 2nd extension and mine runs out at the end of the month.

any last minute study tips to ensure i pass?:oops:

I agree with Leukocyte. Do not take this exam until you are ready. A 183 NBME does not bode well for the real thing.

It's almost January. What affect will failing the test have on anyone's residency application at this point? They don't have to release the score -- can't someone just retake it in a few months if they bomb it?

Not sure why you'd flush away that test fee at this point in the year.

excalibur? did you take a nbme test prior? do you have any words of advice different from the others?
:scared:

excalibur? did you take a nbme test prior? do you have any words of advice different from the others?

No, I didn't take the NBME before hand for the simple reason that I knew I would get a score like you did, and it would just make me more nervous. I felt my time would be better spent studying than taking the full length practice test.

Don't know what advice might help you, buddy. It's obviously gonna be close. My thoughts, for what it's worth...is figure out like 3 areas that you truly suck in, and study those. There may be 2 or 3 areas in IM that you are terrible in...so study those. It doesn't do much good to spend 3 hours going over all of surgery once again if you did well on it the first time through. I sucked at Heme/Onc and MSK. I really couldn't figure those out. I should have spent more time on those in the last week and less time trying to go over everything one more time (looking at my notes and previously used usmleworld ?'s).

Also, I probably should have used that USMLE CD that was sent in the mail. Apparently there are some questions there that are very helpful on the test. After finishing my test, I have heard students say that that CD was very helpful. Something to look into. Good luck!