What's inpatient and trauma like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a one week rotation with ortho on my surgery rotation but I was with a sports guy who didn't have any inpatients at the time. I feel like my view of the specialty is a bit skewed. I was just curious if someone could walk me through their day of being on inpatient and a typical day covering tauma

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In residency a typical day starts off very early with rounds between 5-7am, with some residencies having education before or right after rounds for about an hour. Depending on how busy the list is it may be a list of 15-25 people. You make your rounds, write notes, then cases start usually at 7 or a little after. You can expect to be in the OR all day from 7 until god knows when you finish. If you're a senior you're likely operating all day, juniors typically cover pagers for floor/consults/trauma from the ED. Our program is nice because PA's are doing discharges and most of the floor stuff but you can expect to get a few pages with anything ranging from BS to open femurs depending on where your residency is from the ED. Some days the pager is none stop, other days it's quiet. But as an Ortho resident on the inpatient hospital service you're at the hospital you're basically trying to juggle between cleaning up things on the floor, fielding consults from the floor/ED and responding to major traumas if you're at a trauma center. It can get very overwhelming sometimes but you just learn to adapt. If you really want to know what ortho is like I really recommend doing a rotation on an ortho residency service. Gives you a much better idea what your life will be like for 5 years. Attending life with primarily outpatient elective surgery can be kush, but you gotta work hard to get there.

Reactions: 1 users
Had a one week rotation with ortho on my surgery rotation but I was with a shoulder guy who didn't have any inpatients at the time. I feel like my view of the specialty is a bit skewed. I was just curious if someone could walk me through their day of being on inpatient and a typical day covering tauma
Similar to whats posted above my experience on my trauma sub-i was: Arrive at the hospital around 4:15a to prepare the list for 445 rounds. The list was usually 15-30 pts. Didactics from 615-720. Cases in the OR from 730 until we ran out of pts. (usually 630-7p, but as late as 11p). The cases were generally a fair mix of bread and butter and complex trauma. The intern carried the pager and saw all consults. PGY2 was in clinic, if there was clinic, and helped with consults. PGY3+5 operated exclusively.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with both comments above. For sake of diversity:
Our program's trauma block is PGY1 man's the floor (day float/night float), PGY2 on consults (day float/night float), PGY3-5 operative. With opportunity for intern to help with interesting consults and PGY2 to help in OR when busy.
Trauma is extremely seasonal, depending where you live, with summer being much busier. Our list can be as many as 60+ inpatients in the summer (then we will be rounding somewhere between 4-5am) and as few as single digits in the winter (round from 530-6am) with conference in the morning until 7, OR at 730.
OR's can occasionally run all night until 4 in the morning or later, but night team takes over so day team can sleep and prep for the next day's cases.
Intern year blows, but trauma is usually a good rotation because of the big team environment.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with seasonality. In the summer you can get absolutely crushed. Nice days = motorcycles, bicycles, GSWs. Sometimes you learn to resent the sunny days when you're working.

Reactions: 1 users