What would you do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rengawa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my dilemma.......I was accepted to start medicine at Trinity College in October and getting pretty pumped about my upcoming move.........Then, unexpectingly I received a phone call from a Canadian university (U of C) that I've been accepted to their medicine program......I am so confused as to what I should do? I worry about the overall cost of going to Dublin (I'm thinking about $250-300K) and problems coming back to practice in Canada but I think the experience may be worth the money.........Another issue is time. U of C's program is only 3 years while school at Trinity is 5........I'm 25 now, so this does play on my mind...........

Can anyone who is in Ireland now provide me a little bit of guidance? I have 15 days to make up my mind...........

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are canadian, stay in canada for medschool if you have any chance to do that. It will give you direct access to canadian and US residencies. If you go to Dublin you will allways be a foreign graduate on the north-american continent.

Is this coming from your personal experience in Ireland or overseas??

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal experience as a (european) foreign grad in the US. I have looked into the options to go to canada after my residency in the states, but the buerocratic red tape is tremendous.

The answer to that question can be answered simply by asking yourself "Where do you want to practice?" If you ultimately want to practice home in Canada, the safest route is obviously choosing the Canadian university. The obvious pros to that would be cost, not having to move, time and job security. If you want to practice in Europe for whatever reason (family/spouse here, etc.), then a European education may be more suitable.

Your individual preferences regarding the direction of your life can complicate matters. It may seem funny to you that someone who really likes it in Ireland and loves Trinity would be telling you to stay in Canada. Obviously, after thinking for awhile on the decision, I ignored the "safe" route and decided that I'd be happiest having a bit of an adventure, living overseas for awhile. But my decision was based off prior experience, having lived here previously while doing a junior year abroad during undergrad. Also, I did not actually apply to any American medical schools because my desire to experience something else was that intense. You may have the same feelings and if so, this will be a difficult decision. Know that there are additional hardships here (i.e. sometimes having to teach yourself subjects that aren't covered in as much detail here as over there, trying to arrange US/Canadian electives, extra study for USMLE/Canadian tests which may take up vacation time, figuring out times to travel home, etc.)

But if you're happy in Canada and want to eventually practice in Canada, become educated in Canada. The cost and the extra 2 years may not be worth you living in Europe for 5 years. There are other venues you can try to spend some time here later in life (summer electives, health promotion groups like Medicine San Frontiers or whatever it's called) and those may be enough to satisfy your curiosity.

Thanks for the advice............I'll keep everything in mind during my deliberations!!

Go to Ireland for a two year vaction with the money you save after finishing medical school in Canada.

rengawa said:
Here is my dilemma.......I was accepted to start medicine at Trinity College in October and getting pretty pumped about my upcoming move.........Then, unexpectingly I received a phone call from a Canadian university (U of C) that I've been accepted to their medicine program......I am so confused as to what I should do? I worry about the overall cost of going to Dublin (I'm thinking about $250-300K) and problems coming back to practice in Canada but I think the experience may be worth the money.........Another issue is time. U of C's program is only 3 years while school at Trinity is 5........I'm 25 now, so this does play on my mind...........

Can anyone who is in Ireland now provide me a little bit of guidance? I have 15 days to make up my mind...........

Thanks!!

rengawa said:

Thanks!!

With the difficulty of gaining acceptance into a canadian medical school being extremely high, in addition to the possiblity of not being able to come back to Canada to practice where and what type of specialty you would like to.....it seems that the choice is clear.
Why would you give up your chance to go to U of C for Trinity?

Moving abroad to study medicine would be an amazing experience........I know it's possible to go overseas when I am finished but the question is: Would I? Probably not. Other things come up......marriage.......kids........ paying off student loans.......you know how it goes.

It seems that I can pretty much picture the path my life will take if I go to U of C whereas if I went to Trinity....Who knows? I've also been to Dublin before and it's a very vibrant city and a place I could see myself fitting into.........The risk is what if I end up hating it.

I have a feeling no matter what choice I make, I will feel a little regret. Either way, I suppose I shouldn't complain........I've been given two great options.

If you want to practice in Canada then you should most likely go to U of C. Do you know if you want to specialize, or would you not mind being a family physician. Since you applied to U of C are you from Calgary? It might be easier to practice there if you are a foriegn graduate, rather than Ontario.

I do want to do family medicine which is why I thought Ireland would be a good idea because I know that matching isn't as difficult. At the same time, imagine I changed my mind about FM sometime during my schooling.......I would be in trouble.........

ps I'm from Edmonton

Stay in Canada for med school! I'm in England and have little time for culture.
No matter what it will be harder for you as an IMG believe me just about all of us would rather have been in school in the US or Canada. :luck:

but if you don't take the UC acceptance in order to come to trinity, you are on crack. get your degree in canada for a fraction of the cost, and do some overseas electives or something. i like dublin, it's a cool city but its too damn expensive and too damn backwards for you to pass up an offer like calgary with a 3 year program!! congratulations, make the right choice!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Badkarma25 said:
but if you don't take the UC acceptance in order to come to trinity, you are on crack. get your degree in canada for a fraction of the cost, and do some overseas electives or something. i like dublin, it's a cool city but its too damn expensive and too damn backwards for you to pass up an offer like calgary with a 3 year program!! congratulations, make the right choice!!!!

I didn't want to say it but Badkarma already did. This advice is golden and should be taken. My sister goes to Trinity and I have just returned from visiting her. Dublin is a cool city no doubt.....both my sis and I love it there. But we both agree that vacationing there is greater than living there for sure.

Fair enough......Thanks for the advice. I think I am leaning towards going to U of C.....I just calculated my tuition fees and going to U of C for three years equals one years tuition at Trinity!! Yikes.......but sometimes I think, "Life is about the journey, not the destination"......then again saving $150,000 that says it all!!

rengawa said:
Fair enough......Thanks for the advice. I think I am leaning towards going to U of C.....I just calculated my tuition fees and going to U of C for three years equals one years tuition at Trinity!! Yikes.......but sometimes I think, "Life is about the journey, not the destination"......then again saving $150,000 that says it all!!

As a Canadian, if you have an opportunity to study medicine in Calgary, do NOT give that up to come to Ireland!!!!! It will be a decision you will regret for the rest of your life and you will be paying (literally) for your mistake for a long time.

I am Canadian and I graduated from RCSI last month. I am starting my residency training in the US on July 1. Although the following is only my opinion, I speak from first hand experience.

1. Returning to Canada for residency training after completing medical school in Ireland will leave you with VERY limited options. Basically the only program that will be guaranteed to be open in the second round of CARMS is family medicine. Although you state that this is what you want to do, things may and most often do change. I am training in a speciality that, when I began medical school, I would have never even considered. By staying in Canada, you will leave all of your options for residency programs open.

2. Medical school in Ireland and Canada are very different. In my opinion (having done over 7 months of electives in both Canada and the US), although you gain a good theoretical knowledge base in Ireland, you do not develop practical skills that you will need as a resident in North America. You are not involved in the day to day care and management of patients and this is a major disadvantage. Also, the overall inefficiency of Irish medical schools, poor attitude towards teaching students, and lack of accountability to students...this will make you sick. Very sick.

3. Time and money. I probably don't need to say any more, but I will. 5 years versus 3 years? The choice is simple. As for money, tuition cost me over 150,000 Euros for 5 years, it will be more for you, much more with the steadily increasing strength of the Euro to dollar and the fixed rate of inflation that Irish schools have set arbitrarily. I spent at least 75,000 Euros for total living expenses for 5 years. Cost of living is extraordinarily high in Dublin. A survey of most expensive cities in the world came out this week, Dublin was tied with New York!!! Needless to say, when you add value for money into the equation, living in Dublin is a complete rip off.

4. I can recognize that a tourist visiting Dublin can have a great time visiting pubs, golfing, etc. But living in Dublin for 5 years is a completely different story. Towards the end of my time there, I hated it! To put it simply, I was sick of being ripped off everyday: rent, telephone, electricity, groceries...you name it and it is overpriced in Dublin. I'm back in the US and I couldn't be happier.

5. You speak about gaining invaluable life experience. I realize that my personal growth was enormous over the past 5 years living in Europe. But let's put it in perspective by taking into consideration the cost. As mentioned above: loss time and money (a lot of money), inferior quality of education in an unsupportive environment, decreased options for residency training. The choice is simple, stay in Canada! Imagine, what you can do with the 2 years and 200,000 CDN you save. Stay in Canada and you will be licensed by the CCFP in 5 years! In Ireland, you'll be stuck with limited options for residency training in North America and to compound your anxiety, you'll have to live with the regret of having had the option to train at a Canadian medical school and having turned it down.

6. Finally, I don't even want to get into the logistical problems of residency training in the US as a Canadian. I bet that right now, you don't think that you would end up in the US after medical school in Ireland, but if you decide to train in anything other than family medicine, you will almost certainly end up training in the US. Getting your ECFMG certificate in time to start your residency is difficult because you graduate late in May. The J1-visa is very restrictive. Starting a new life in the US is very challenging because you are not an American citizen, not even an immigrant; the J1-visa is a nonimmigrant visa and this has serious implications. If you want to buy a house, you will have a hard time securing financing. Financing or leasing a car without a credit history in the US is also difficult (your Canadian credit history may not help in the US). Just practical things that I never would have considered 5 years ago, but they are very important.

BOTTOM LINE IS: In your vacations, visit Europe. For electives, spend time in Europe. When you graduate, take time to travel Europe. After residency training do a fellowship in Europe. However, make sure that you accept your position in Calgary. In my opinion, it is the best thing that you can do in your situation. My interest in this post is only to help you make a VERY educated and informed decision. If you still don't believe me, please talk to a practicing physician you know and ask them their opinion. Preferably, you should ask someone that is a resident or has just began practice. They will be most informed.

Hope that this helps you.

rengawa said:
Please stay in Canada for med school and come to Europe on the money you save! Borrow enough, if you can, to make these trips! That journey will be worth it!

Wow, I understand your problem.

I attend an Irish school. I've also been accepted to a Canadian school now that I've completed some school in Ireland. I'd have to start over, but the program here in Canada is shorter so I'd finish at the same time with less money.

Problem is: going to university here was so-so. Being in Ireland has been the best years of my life. Miss it even coming home for the summer. Right now I absolutely love school. I love my class and the people's attitudes. Not sure I'd be able to give that all up and come here. Maybe a little less money here and more opportunity but you only get one life. Really struggling right now between gambling short term happiness for possibly a little more convienence long term.

Don't tell me that!!! I had my mind made up to start school in Canada.....Now, I'm questioning my decision!!

rengawa said:

keep in mind that financial issues will be a very big issue, throughout everyone's lives.
$150,000 extra - do you have any idea how much that really is? how long will you take to pay off the loans (with interest too)? oh and - if you'll eventually buy a house 10 yrs down the road that's another biggie to settle.
we all want to fulfil our dreams of jetting overseas, perhaps settling down offshore for extended periods of time so we can soak it all in. but remember, there has got to be food on the table. and once that's settled... mired in 150,000+ debt - your ambitions and dreams may have to be put on hold while you roughn'tustle with that MEAN-ASS debt.
remember that everything we do will have consequences and repercussions. anyhow you probably have sufficient info to make an educated decision. all the best to you!

Go to canada :). It's only 3 years. As I said before, you will have time later through electives or other things to enjoy some travel experience. I'm with sage, I love it here and love the people here, and there are benefits here that I couldn't see myself enjoying in US schools. But there are annoying hardships as well that you can probably avoid by going to your Canadian school, and it's only 3 years ;). I'm sure you can have a fun time there too. Work now, play later.

I think I can end this thread now......I just returned from Calgary......I paid my deposit, found an apartment and I'm feeling really good about my decision. Thanks to everyone for the advice..............

Congratulations. You absolutely made the right decision.

endosmoke said:
actually it depends on what you want to do. family medicine seems alright if you are an IMG

Let's see now, this year 80 out of 627 IMGs matched in the second iteration for a 12.7% match rate. Of those 80 lucky bastards, 54 matched into FM.

What happend to the other 547 IMGs (some of whom, no doubt also wanted to practice FM?)

rengawa said:
I think I can end this thread now......I just returned from Calgary......I paid my deposit, found an apartment and I'm feeling really good about my decision. Thanks to everyone for the advice..............

Congrats.

Good choice. I'd don't know too much about Trinity but I would advise against anyone attending RCSI. Looking forward to coming back home, 2 more years *sigh* :thumbdown:

but I would advise against anyone attending RCSI.

Why is that ?