What would you do in this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albah

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

If found in this situation, what would you do??

You are accepted into PCOM and waitlisted at NSUCOM.
You like both schools fairly equally. However, location may be an issue. You live in Florida so NSUCOM is closer.

Right now you aren't too sure how important the location is to you. You have always lived close to home and have family and a boyfriend there. On the other hand, it would be nice to be somewhere different for a change.

But let's say that if accepted, you decide to go to NSUCOM...how long would you wait (or can you wait) until you say...gotta go to PCOM? (keeping in mind housing and $$ )

Thanks guys, I would greatly appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

We can be partners in crime, I'm in a pretty similar dilemma myself:

Waitlisted first-choice hometown MD school.

LECOM acceptance

So the question is when to move to Erie. Having thought about it (and maybe this will help you), what I've decided to do is find an apt for the summer here ("hometown"), keep my two jobs (EMT/lab tech) and work/make money over the summer.

About June-ish, start looking to put down deposit on place in erie and possibly eat a month's rent (to secure a nice place and not get stuck with last minute crap) or security deposit (if last-second get un-waitlisted).

Other factors: My girlfriend who is applying next year, needs a job over the next year and already has one "here". If we leave for erie beginning of summer we'd both have to look for jobs and possibly she'd finally get one and have to up and leave erie and try to get another one "here" because she quit the one she already had "here" to move to erie. phew.

While I'm faced with the terrible decision myself between MD/DO should my waitlist turn acceptance, I've decided that my hometown MD school (top 15 in nation for primary care) is not something I can pass up.

all in all, my suggestion to you is: hang tight in FL. I know finding housing in philly is vastly different from Erie but I think if you begin your search in may/june, put down a deposit, maybe lose a month or two rent (hey, we've all already spent $1,000's on this process, whats a few hundred for rent), that way you can work if you have a job where you are but you're not screwed for housing if NOVA falls through...

thats the best advice I can give. It's what I've decided on. GOOD LUCK!

Albah, that is really funny...I am in the exact mirror of your situation. I am from philly have been accepted at NOVA, and waiting to hear back from PCOM. I like both schools very much, have lived in the area my whole life and wouldn't mind a change. I have a girlfriend up here who wants to go where ever I go, but I am not sure I am ready to have her move 1600 miles away with me.

To be honest with you I am at a stalemate...I don't know how I am going to decide if faced with the decision.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
NEVER turn down an acceptance for a waitlist spot! Pay the deposit and if you get in to NOVA then so be it, if it is that important to you, then you can afford to give up the deposit $$.

I assumed/thought it was a given: she was going to put a deposit down on PCOM.

if not, PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN ON PCOM!!!!

Don't worry, I already had placed my deposit. ;)

Homer: I had thought about doing something similar. I was thinking of looking for housing and doing everything as if going to PCOM and if I get into Nova, then I have a decision to make. Because I am still not sure that if I get into Nova if I will be going there.

Hey all, thanks for all your responses so far!
Albah