Would it be wise to apply this upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepyInsomniac1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should have placed this in the WAMC thread or not but I figured I'd post it here seeing as I have no MCAT yet and no school list. Mods please feel free to move it if necessary. I am strongly contemplating applying this cycle and would like some honest advice as to whether I am ready or not.
Here is my info for reference:
cGPA:3.31 sGPA: 3.55 (3.58 AMCAS)
- I have no MCAT yet but I am signed up and am considering moving it to June or July at the latest
- I am from NC
- URM - Hispanic
- Undergrad: State School
- Clinical experience: Currently working as a scribe. I have about 400 hrs, will likely have about 800 by application time and since I am planning to work more, I can easily get 1000+ by May or June.
- Research: I have about 1000 hours of research in the neurobiology lab. PI would very likely be my strongest LOR.
- Shadowing: I have about 50 hours of virtual shadowing. I definitely plan to increase this number prior to this upcoming cycle. I have been unable to obtain IRL shadowing as most of the opportunities to shadow in my area (even the clinics) are controlled by a large health care system that currently does not allow in-person shadowing due to COVID.
- Volunteering: ~1500 hrs as a coordinator for a Hispanic group, where I am in charge of setting up fundraiser events and a yearly retreat.
- ~400 hrs tutoring while in undergrad in organic chem.
- ~2500+ hrs working as a server at a retirement home.
- ~200 hrs as a contact tracer back in 2020
- I also have a hobby which I have had numerous hours doing, which is playing competitive YuGiOh but I am not sure how appropriate that would be to include.

I should mention that I am pretty much a non-trad at 28 yrs old. I was in undergrad for about 9 years on and off and just graduated Fall 2021. I started at a CC, and the only pre-reqs I completed there were the Intro Bios, English, psychology and the first semester of Gen chem. I finished Orgo, biochem, Gen chem II and all other pre-reqs and higher level science courses at the 4 year institution. I have about 8 Fs in my undergraduate career from 2012-2016. I also have 12 Ws which are mostly from that same timeline (2 Ws are from the beginning of the pandemic where I had to drop some labs and a class because they were still going to be in person and as I lived with my parents at that time and my mom is high risk, I could not stay in them). From 2017 onward, I only ever received mostly As, 1 C, and a few Bs here and there. I practically started a "new degree" if you will, when I switched from Biology to Biochem in 2019. Here are my class standing GPAs for reference: Freshman: 1.83, Sophomore: 3.18, Junior: 3.74 and Senior: 3.95. My upward trend is very solid IMO. I truly appreciate any and all honest input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is difficult to answer without an MCAT score, as that can make or break an application. I recommend taking that or having some practice exam scores and then coming back to ask this question.

If you do well on the MCAT, you should be competitive for mid/low tier MD and all DO schools.

I would mention the competitive yugioh. Definitely something that would pique my interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to tell without an MCAT. If you do get a respectable score (>505), then I think you are good to apply.

The Yu-Gi-Oh is particularly interesting since I used to also play competitively, so I know a thing or two about the game. If you are able to spin it into something positive, then I would mention it. If you have some major tops, then maybe mention that in the achievements section. If you can explain how Yu-Gi-Oh has shaped you as a person or helped prepare you for medical school, then I would put it under the activities section.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would include the hobby for sure! I did a summer of competitive marching band (Drum Corps International) and included it in my applications for this cycle. I brought it up during my interviews and was asked about it multiple times. I feel like the more abstract and unknown hobbies are the ones the admissions committees enjoy reading and talking about the most.

As others have said, hard to say without an MCAT score. Shoot for 505+ and be sure to apply to Campbell. Hobby is always nice to include to show interests outside academics and how you spend downtime. Make sure to describe it as a strategic trading card game as readers may not know what YuGiOh is. However, it was very popular for kids and teens when it first started, so you may have a reader who was a parent of a somebody who got into it.